Sign in to follow this  
lilblondie0019

Help Identifying My Simco

Hello everyone I bout my simco saddle about 5 years ago. I know nothing about it and can not find any contact information for simco saddlery online.

Can anyone tell me anything about this saddle? Its atleast 30 years old? I bought it for 400 back 5 years ago

Heres a link to my photobucket

http://i27.photobuck...y/Saddle005.jpg

Action Saddle company has no information on my saddle. they said they think it was made in the 60's tho.

I don't remember exactly when it was, but Action Company or Corporation bought up several saddle companies. I think that back in the 80's I called Hadlock & Fox saddle tree company in Texas to ask for a catalog. I mentioned to the woman that I had two Simco saddles apart for re-fleecing of the skirts and noticed that both trees were rawhide-covered and marked Hadlock & Fox. She replied, "We used to supply all their rawhide-covered trees, then Action Company bought up a bunch of saddle companies and most of them now use plastic trees."

I've emailed several people/companies to find information on this saddle. All i have recieved are comments such as "Simco is a cookie cutter production" or "Simco saddles arn't worth anything and are cheap"

Now i know simco started making "Cheap saddles" but i know mine is one of the ones made before this production started. And it's deffinatly not a "Cookie Cutter" saddle as i can't find one like it online anywhere.

I found an Advertisement listed on Ebay tonight that has serial number 5552 saddle pictured. Mine sort of looks like it from what i can tell. But ofcourse the serial numbers arnt the same so i know its not it. But if 5552 was produced in 1974, i figure mine has to be close to this date? I've hit it seems every dead end i can looking for information on my saddle.

It just strikes me as Odd that my saddle is C450 when the rest of the simcos i'm finding dont have a letter in their serial number. Only thing i can think of is a custom made.

I contacted Crates this is what i got back :)

Dear Ms. Corbin, Simco was owned and operated by the Crates family from the early 1930’s until we sold it in 1980. In 1981 my father and I started Crates Leather. Many former Simco employees became Crates saddlemakers Simco has been sold three times since 1981 and as no remote similarity to the current Crates Company. The model 460 actually dates back to the late 1950’s. We called it the

“Bill Olson” roper, for a former cowboy and friend of my father Bob Crates. It had no relationship with the year of 1960.As to the little “C”, I don’t remember this , but perhaps one of our former saddlery dealers attached this C to identify it as one coming from his store. As I recall we made this model for maybe ten years, so it would have spanned the 1960’s more than likely. The story of the 6-pedal vs; 8-pedal I do not remember anything about this point. As I served as president of the company from about 1965 until we sold in 1980 it should have come up, but I have no recollection. We made quite a few of this model, maybe in the vicinity of 4 to 5 hundred.

I'm hoping that They might know what it sold for or what it might be worth today. Either way i got enough information for me to be happy. I'm so close to saying lets make it a piece of artwork in the living room being its 60 years old and still looks as amazing as it does :) Untill the day i can afford a new saddle this is my daily saddle

That's great that they got back to you. I have an older Simco that I emailed about when it was Simco/Longhorn (I think) and they even found an old catalogue page and emailed it to me. My saddle still looks great but nothing like it did when it would have been new.

That's great you were able to find out. I have had no luck looking up on the net anything on mine. Lilblondie0019-how did you contact to find out. Sure would appreciate knowing so maybe I can do the same. Thanks!

Hi

I am new to this forum. I was happy to see the topic Simco. I have 4 Old Simco saddles and find all are the most comfortable saddle I have ridden on. 2 of the saddles my family bought new and were my show saddles way back, making them over 45 years old. They still are in great condition. Well used but loved. I would take an old Simco over a new saddle any day. I would love to find out more info about my saddles. I would be interested in who you contacted.

Thanks