Sign in to follow this  
Greenhaven

Any Crochet-Ers Out There? Yarn Weight And Hook Size Question

I am an intermediate crochet-er, starting my very first hat for my husband. The pattern says easy, the instructions don't look to bad, but here is my problem: the pattern calls for a worsted weight yarn and a size "J" hook, my largest one, and hubs picked out a chunky (albeit lovely) yarn for his hat. The thing is just not looking right, more like a rope than three rows of stitches.

If he wants the chunky yarn do I have to buy a larger hook? And would I just adjust the gauge to match the pattern's gauge?

Thoughts? here is a link to the pattern I am using if you so desire:

I didn't see the link to your pattern, but you may have to go up to a Q if he wants really thick yarn. However, if the pattern doesn't call for it, you may not end up with what you want because the gauge is factored in. So when they say chain 8 (for example) with a J, they're "assuming" you're going to put 8 in X space. If you go up a few hooks with larger yarn, your whole pattern can get off. I don't know much about re-doing patterns to handle that or I'd advise.

I've been crocheting for oh...crap...more than 25 years. Man, that makes me feel old. LOL anyway, I never do anything very complicated. I stick to afghans where if I choose to change it up, it typically doesn't hurt anything. BUt with a pattern for a hat, I'm thinking you might have trouble.

Don't take it from me though...I'm not well versed.

I didn't see the link to your pattern, but you may have to go up to a Q if he wants really thick yarn.

Eh, that's because I am a ding-dong. Here:http://crochet.about.com/od/hats/a/Mens-Winter-Hat-Pattern.htm

I did a few sample rows with some leftover yarn of the right weight, and it looks about the same but is much looser and softer. When I pulled out what I had done with the chunky yarn (because I was doing it wrong, or course) I just made it as long as the practice row. Fortunately it is easy to adjust that way since the pattern is just a series of rows of single crochet and slip stitches and the rows are the length/height of the hat.

What I have done so far is technically doable, but pulling that thick yarn through the loop size for that hook is making it too stiff, I think. Okay, reeaally stiff. I would be super-cool to have enough yarn leftover to do another one with a bigger hook.

Q you say, huh?

I would look at the wrapper for the yarn and see what size hook they recommend. You will have to adjust the pattern, it is calling for DK yarn, wich is finer than worsted. Another option is to find a pattern that calls for the yarn weight that you have. My go to place for patterns is ravelry.com. You'll have to set up an account, but then you have access to 1,000s of free patterns.

I would look at the wrapper for the yarn and see what size hook they recommend. You will have to adjust the pattern, it is calling for DK yarn, wich is finer than worsted. Another option is to find a pattern that calls for the yarn weight that you have. My go to place for patterns is ravelry.com. You'll have to set up an account, but then you have access to 1,000s of free patterns.

Sweet! Thank you! The wrapper tip should have been obvious...that's why I post here. lol! I think I will have to make a trip back to JoAnns. Darn. :winking:

And thanks for the tip on ravelry.com!!

ETA: "N" hook on the wrapper. Makes sense.

Edited by Greenhaven

Make him pick new yarn. :P

I think I am. I am doing a "test" hat with the lighter scrap yarn, and it is coming out so much nicer. To get it done in a really nice, lightweight wool or wool blend will be fabulous!

I love Ravelry's pattern search for this kind of thing. Several of us HC-er's are members, too. If he's in love with the yarn? Go to their pattern search, and see if you can find a pattern that works with what he likes and the yarn he loves. I'm seeing lots of NICE looking hats for adult men made with chunky yarn. :)

I love Ravelry's pattern search for this kind of thing. Several of us HC-er's are members, too. If he's in love with the yarn? Go to their pattern search, and see if you can find a pattern that works with what he likes and the yarn he loves. I'm seeing lots of NICE looking hats for adult men made with chunky yarn. :)

Oh how I love this place, lol! Thank you. :smilie:

Oh how I love this place, lol! Thank you. :smilie:

And if you hadn't been there before, I do apologize!!! :D You're going to find yourself with a new obsession. (I have the same user name there as here.. feel free to friend me there!)