Sign in to follow this  
dwedum

A Sad Update

arensmeyer005-3_zpsbeef8827.jpg

020-2.jpg

Hi everyone. Rather than reply to the post below, thought I would go ahead and do this new one to explain where and why I"ve been gone for a few months. Was both a good and really bad summer and fall, starting with a torn interior calf muscle in late June. Was performing a very complicated gymnastic type manuever called swinging your leg over a fence to cross to the other side. Evidently caught something just right (not on the fence) which caused the left calf muscle to tear inside the muscle. Othopedic surgeon showed me on the MRI what had happened and declined to operate saying it would probably do more damage to the muscle getting in to repair it. So limped around on it for about six weeks which resulted in my back going out. To shorten the story I ended up making 5 trips to our local ER, an overnight at the local hopsital, 12 first thing in the moring trips to the chiropractor so I could get along enough to ride up on the 300 yearlings I was keeping an eye on and get them gathered in the fall, 3 trips to the neurosurgeon in Gt. Falls which eventually ended up in 4 hours of back surgery to repair one disc which was in pieces, trim another disc and rotor rooter a number of arthritic bone spurs in the spinal column. Could have taken all that but in August my old golden Triever, 11 years, had to be put down because he was just no longer able to keep himself up. And then late in the afternoon the day before Thanksgiving, the absolute love of my equine life for many years, Cloudee, my 20 year old foxtrotter mare died very suddenly and unexpectedly probably from heart failure. At 4:30 in the afternoon she appeared fine when I saw her and the other two in the corrals waiting to be fed and at 5:30 when the friend feeding for me due to my surgery, came running in to tell me she had died. Had just fallen over right where I had seen her standing. Needless to say that has been extremely traumatic for me, and now, because I actually did a smart thing, I have no horses here for the winter. Loaded up Hobby and Willow and sent them south for the winter down to Cloude's breeders so I wouldn't be tempted to try riding before the back is ready. Hoping to be riding ready by the first of April and will have another 300 yearlings to look after next summer if things go right but at this point am not enjoying things at all. No horses, short on dogs and very limited in what I can do. Got a kindle fire and am catching up on lots of reading and hitting physical therapy work twice a day at the local hospital. Terriby exciting. Will hopefully get lots of pictures next summer though and get back in the swing of things. Any how, that's the long and not so short of it. . Hope you all have a great Christmas and may post some old pics in midwinter just for a break.

Grouchy

Sorry to hear of your challeges Grouchy.

I went past your place a few weeks ago, Had to pick up a load of horses in Chester MT for a lady that had moved South to Utah. Man that was flat country up where she came from.

Merry Christmas to you.

Grouchy so sorry to hear you loss your dog and your horse. Praying for you to heal from that, your surgeries and any thing else that might be bothering you.

Take care

I hope you have a Merry CHRISTmas.

So sorry for your losses. I feel your heartache; I lost my 20 year old, love of my life, walking horse mare last April. It's the worst part of having animals in one's life--so painful to lose them.

I hope you heal up fast and are back in the saddle according to your plan. I'm looking forward to the photodocumentation of your post-recovery adventures.

Take care.

I'm sorry for all you've been through this year. Take care of yourself and have a Merry Christmas.

All this is certainly more than anyone should deal with. So sorry for your pain and losses of companions. I know you are surrounded by many friends who will take care of you. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Cathy

Groucht;

Take the advise of your Docs, and mend before you try to get riding for any time. I too have had two back surguries, and 14 bone and ortho surguries. ( "Murder Cycle!")...... Now must limit my time in the saddle to about three hours at a time, but find that riding hurts less with more time, and more riding..:-) yea!

Losing one's animal companions is also so hard to handle, as is the time you must just sit, or at least not be too "wild" with your movements. It took almost 11 months in my case to fully heal, and I did start too soon with the walking about, and wound up with a serious limp from not waiting for things to heal fully. Soooo.... take the time to fully heal.

RideatRedRockandLastChance007.jpg

Grouchy,

Sorry for both the losse of your dog & Cloudee, & healing from back surgery & everything else. Witn this being the Christmas season, & with the New Year coming on, I hope next year is a better year for you. For you this is only a temporary setback, & you'll be back in the saddle when the time is right for you. So Best Wishes Going Forward. Merry Christmas. PD

Hello Grouchy, So glad you are back that headline kinda skeered me...But anyway so sorry to hear about loosing your horse and dog-been thru that myselg and I know the pain and also your battle with injury and all. So sorry but it it good to have you back and look forward to your pic's and posts.

Sometime back a year or more I sent you a video about Kangen-water and the healing benifits of it and if you still have it, I invite you to take another look at it. It continues to give us much needed energy and strenght . The longer we use it the more we like it. We belong to a co-op of sort and I can probaly find someone near you that has a machine and will provide you with free water and won't try to sell you a machine. Like I have said in the past we feel it is miracle working water. 541-396-1344 or email me @ johnandfaye@wildblue.net

P.C.S.

I'm so sorry Grouchy. Prayers for you. Atleast Cloudee didn't have to experiance the pain of growing old and all the complications that come with it. I know it still doesn't make it any easier.

Sorry about your loss and your health. Glad you are healing up and will soon be able to ride come spring.

You can keep busy while healing, posting all your great pictures. I do enjoy them so much.

Sorry about your loss and your health. Glad you are healing up and will soon be able to ride come spring.

You can keep busy while healing, posting all your great pictures. I do enjoy them so much.

Ditto... I really enjoy your beautiful pictures.

I hope your heart and body heal quickly.

Wow, Grouchy. You probably don't even remember me, but I do remember and miss you and your stories and photos. I remember when you messed your head all up and posted those pics.

I am saddened and so sorry for all you've been through. I hope you can find joy while you are mending physically and be whole again soon.

Happy New Year, friend. Ride again soon.

So sorry to hear of the loss of your fur friends :huggy: Sending many healing :angel3: :angel3: for you and hope your New Year is great

Grouchy I have lurked many years admiring your photos. So sorry to hear about your losses of Cloudee and your pup.

Wishing you a much better 2013. Looking forward to many more of your posts and pics.

Lots of good thoughts and prayers for quick healing.

Edited by QTime

I am very sorry to hear of your back trouble and the loss of your dog and horse. Hurts like he11, I know. I've done the back surgery, lost a beloved dog two years ago, and lost my own riding horse back in May.

Here's to a better 2013!

I really hope this spring, the perfect mount finds you.

Hello Grouchy.. I hadn't been to HC in quite awhile. I was so sad for you when I read this post. I'm so sorry for the loss of Cloudee and your Golden. I've been through it myself a few times so I know how it feels. It's amazing how attached we can get to our animals. I'm sorry to hear about you and all your surgeries too. I'll say a prayer for you that you'll be healed up and back to par quickly.

I am going to try and find time to log in here every now and then so I can keep up with what's going on with old friends. I just hadn't been here much.. was busy this summer. I had 2 daughters to tie the kno this summer! I haven't been in the saddle much lately either.. I plan for that to change too!

I'll be back to check up on ya old friend!

I miss the stories and the pictures too!

~trailhoss2

With the physical pain from the surgery and the pain in your heart from loosing two of your beloved animals so unexpectedly.

Things might seem a bit bleak this winter.

Sending prayers for rapid a recovery and new friends to ease the sorrow in your heart. :angel3: :angel3:

Hugs to say "Things will get better soon." :huggy: :huggy:

GG your doing everything right, following doctor's orders, going to PT (physical torture) 2x per day and staying out of the saddle until your healed. With your dedication and strong will, I'll bet you'll be surprising everyone with your rapid recovery and back in the saddle when the wildflowers bloom! :notworthy:

So Sorry to hear of the loss of your loyal companions and your struggles keeping strong. So take this time to heal and come Spring I look forward to seeing your adventures and cow butts caught on camera from your view in the saddle :smilie:

Im so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is losing your horse, who is also your best friend. Take your time and get better so you can get back in the saddle :smilie: