Sign in to follow this  
Barrelhorseluver1

Whats Better Polo Raps Or Actual Boots?

I have SMB Elites, but I've found in deeper arena conditions they fill with sand and dirt easily. So I also carry polo wraps with me and opt for those in deeper footing.

Polo wraps need to be wrapped correctly to be effective though. The potential for damage if not wrapped correctly is debatable, but there I believe.

Neither polo wraps nor sport boots are better than the other. It is a matter of personal preference.

Sport boots have been scientifically proven to give more support than polo wraps; however, it's not a huge amount either way. (And certainly not as much as the companies claim. I've gotten copies of the studies. They do provide some support but not as much as they claim when you actually look at the experiment.)

Polo wraps will cover higher on the leg than a sport boot, but some would say they aren't as thick (protective) as a boot.

If you choose to use polo wraps, make sure you have a vet show you how to properly wrap them. If they are not done correctly, they can cause damage to the ligaments and tendons in the horse's leg. And they do have the potentially to come unwrapped during an event, so you should always use a piece of electrical tape to secure them.

For myself, I prefer to use Professionals Choice SMB 3 sport boots on all 4 legs, along with PC Ballistic bell boots on the front legs. They hold up really well over time, and I find they do a nice job of keeping dirt out of the boots.