Greenhaven

New Year's Weight Loss Support Group?

Edited to add: It doesn't help that I am a sugar and carb addict, especially the refined and particularly bad for you kinds.

Tracy

Me too! The more yu avoid the easier it gets, though.

I have been doing just okay. Slightly better on the eating, not so good on the exercise.

Started our yoga class last night, though, and felt amazing afterward! I started the class with significant pain, and ended with significantly less. I am very, very excited to continue.

Check out this guy; if he can do it anybody can!

Paintedwishes-

It is the hardest to stay away from those bad foods. I work in a deli that sells hot case food including General Tsaos chicken and it is so so hard to not eat it!!!!

I've been slacking off. I hadn't gone to the gym in over a week until last night. I went straight after work and pushed myself. I did 30 minutes on the ellipitical and then 15 minutes on the stairstepper. Right now I'm just trying to do cardio and every other day strength. I have been counting my calories and exercise on myfitnesspal.

Lets keep up the great work everyone!!!!

Oh I know what you mean, deffinatly hard to resist sometimes. I had healthy options ready to go for my breakfast untill i saw the big muffin on the counter. Today was much better with eating wise but didnt get enough water in. It's hard to drink enough water sometimes in the winter time, so I have to make myself. I pack my water bottle around with me every where. Today it was so nasty weather wise outside so my cousins and I went to the mall and walked laps inside for a while, our mall is huge!

What helps me for drinking water cause I don't like drinking water because it has no taste. I like the propel water packets you can put in your water bottles. They are zero calories and no artificial sweeteners. They also have b vitamins to give energy. I love them!

I've been absolutely terrible this past week, food-wise. Tonight I had cereal, though. the milk was in a cup...and the cereal was in rice-crispies-bar form...but hey...I had cereal. lol

So I've found the ONLY way I'm going to get enough water in is to carry a liter bottle of water with me and keep on refilling it and sipping out of it throughout the day and night. One bottle is just barely over four 8 oz servings. The past few days, I've managed three liters. And boy are my kidneys working overtime! lol Of course, since I'm up 18 - 19 hours out of 24, I have plenty of time to be sipping on water. And yes, going to the gym encourages me to get the first liter in... lol

I had a grumpy moment this evening. I was with good friends, some of whom are also doing the weight loss, lifestyle change routine. And I declined a piece of the lemon cake that one of said friends made after dinner. The grumpiness came when I was teased for passing on the dessert. Really??? You *know* I'm dieting, and that I'm trying to be good about what I put in my mouth. I'm not asking you to forego dessert just to make my life easier. But really, is the teasing necessary? I probably should have said something, but it took me awhile to realize just how much the teasing upset me. Oh well, sugar deprivation and the hormones around "that time" probably make me more sensitive than usual.

On a side note, I am planning to take Sunday off of the whole diet routine. Partly to have a once a week day off, so long as I'm not being completely rediculous, and partly to enjoy the festivities around Super Bowl Sunday.

That's awful about the teasing Tracy. I'd be mad too. If they were also trying to lose weight, they probably felt guilty about not being able to resist, and peeved that you are stronger.

I've read a "cheat day" can really wreak havoc with a diet, but a "cheat meal" is a better option. Maybe have a healthy breakfast and lunch knowing you can splurge later?

KTS, some were trying and some weren't. The key to my cheat day is to not go crazy. As you say, more of a cheat meal than an entire day of crazyiness. An entire pizza and a lava cake or brownie sundae is out... But a couple pieces of pizza or some fried chicken or a dessert, sure. But not three crazy high fat/sugar/calorie meals. Ah well. I'm not going to the body pump class today -- I want the snow to subside and the roads to clear before I go to the gym. So I'll do either the treadmill or elliptical later in the day instead.

Tracy

I think i am back on track, I was really good all day with what i ate, and did good with drinking enough water too! Yay! Plus I had a really good workout tonight at zumba!

Good for you PaintedWishes! I've not had such a good day eating wise... Partly because I wasn't able to go to the gym, so had fewer calories to work with and ate a breakfast burrito before I realized that the cold was enough worse that I needed to stay home and rest rather than workout. Darn cold! I've been running a 100.2 - 100.5 fever all day. So my schedule was all messed up, as was my system. Ah well. At least I know to plan for fewer calories tomorrow to reflect that I probably won't get into the gym. It would help if I worked during the day and slept at night like most people. I am awake more hours on this schedule -- I just don't sleep as well or as long during the day. More hours awake = more time to get hungry and more time to eat. Ah well, I manage ok most days if I'm careful at work overnight.

Tracy

Thanks! Hope your cold goes away quick and your feeling good soon. Ive done graveyard shifts before and it is deffinatly a hard schedual, i dont think I got a lot of sleep when i worked nights either.

Thanks. At least there's not much going on tonight. So I can spend a lot of time sitting and being online and taking it easy. I can rearrange my schedule to allow for an evening nap if I need one. I only managed five hours of sleep during my regular sleep time, tried to nap again later with little success, then decided not to do laundry this evening and got a couple more hours before I came in tonight. I generally try to get at least six hours of sleep a day, then make up the extra over the weekend. For now, lots of rest and plenty of fluids.

Tracy

Did good today all day up untill dinner, a thing of ben and jerrys ice cream for dinner....ooopppsss. Gonna go snow shoeing tomorrow so that will at least burn some major calories. Hope for the pasture to dry out enough to ride too, ridding bareback is always a good workout.

Uh oh. So I weighed in as having gained five pounds (it IS my holding-water time of the month) and myfitnesspal has seriously reduced my recommended fat intake! And took away a hundred calories for the day's intake. Dang.

Yesterday was my first really good day in a long time, ate well and walked two miles. Then I went to a party and ate. Today I am serious about getting back on track. Like REALLY serious. I am NOT going back over 170. Dang it.

Edited by Greenhaven

GH - have you taken any measurements? My weight can change 7lbs in ONE day without my clothes fitting any tighter/looser. Measurements can be a more accurate indicator of how a diet is working.

Yesterday was good, ate good and went snow shoeing for the day. That was a good workout, we went over quite a bit of varried terrain, even going across a frozen lake. Today started good eating wise but snacked on way to much stuff at my friends house. At least I was good about drinking lots of water today. How is everyone else doing?

Edited by PaintedWishes

Okay, back on track for this girl today too! I only worked out once last week and eating was just so so. Getting ready now to head to the gym!

Keep it up everybody!!!!

I worked out Thursday, Sat and yesterday! I was proud of myself for working out and staying within my calories for Super Bowl Sunday!!!! I've defiantly been noticing a difference in the fit of my clothes so I think I'm starting to tighten up a little.

:yay: Taking a day off from the gym today but I will be walking around a mall so I think that is still considered exercise!! I will be back at the gym tomorrow!

i know i'm the only underweight person in this bunch, but it turns out we all need to eat well and in my case weight train to get desired results. sooo--in the interests of upping my green veggie consumption (instead of cheeseburgers) and healthful carbs i made the following: (easy and quick to make and really, really, good.)

green beans with fresh thyme and slivered roasted almonds.

small potatos roasted in the oven with olive oil, fresh rosemary and sea salt.

tzatziki.

peel one good sized cucumber and remove seeds with small spoon. grate (be mindful of your knuckles) and drain well in colander. mix one cup greek yoghurt with 1 tsp. finely minced garlic and i tbsp. fresh lemon juice. (options include fresh mint or dill). add well drained grated cucumber, mix carefully, cover and refridgerate for at least one hour and up to a day before serving.

clean and simmer slim fresh green beans in enough chicken or vegetable broth until just al dente and the broth has disappeared. set aside BUT DO NOT RINSE. chop fresh thyme and toast slivered almonds.

preheat oven to 180° C. clean small potatos (new would work but i use finnish white ones) and dry. put on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, chopped rosemary and sea salt. put in to bake for 40 minutes, or until easily pierced with a toothpick.

five minutes before potatos are done, heat skillet and add one tbsp butter or olive oil and add green beans when hot. stir for five minutes and add fresh thyme. salt and pepper to taste. when done serve with slivered almonds sprinkled on top.

this is a *animal protein poor* but VERY satisfying, low fat, high in fiber and slow burning carb meal. and the best thing is that it tastes good :rotf: ! and you feel slightly wicked while you're eating it :ph34r: .

bueno gusto!

I had a great week last week. Worked out twice a day Monday-Thursday, once on Friday and I ran 4.5 miles on Saturday. So, Sunday was my off day. I did pretty good with my diet as well except sunday I did let myself have some superbown snacks. Back on track today though. :)

I've defiantly been noticing a difference in the fit of my clothes so I think I'm starting to tighten up a little.

That si AWESOME! :yay:

green beans with fresh thyme and slivered roasted almonds.

In addition to saying your meal sounds delicious, I have a reeeally stupid question/complaint: I find ot very difficult to eat green beans with slivered almonds (even though I love them) because you can't scoop or stab the almonds with your fork and I want my beans and almonds in my mouth together. Am I just an idiot? (Maybe I don;t want you to answer that....)

Plus, even though Serah is not underweight she does not consume enough calories. There, I said it, Serah. So I would like nick's posts to also be an encouragement to her. :huggy:

I had a great week last week. Worked out twice a day Monday-Thursday, once on Friday and I ran 4.5 miles on Saturday. So, Sunday was my off day. I did pretty good with my diet as well except sunday I did let myself have some superbown snacks. Back on track today though. :)

Another supergirl! I am so encouraged by you all working so hard. I have been on the treadmill a couple times, and had a couple of yoga classes which I LOVE. We go again tonight to class.

That video of the guy who was doing yoga was amazing! Maybe I'll pull out a yoga dvd today :)

I've been doing pretty well, went from 210 right after Christmas and am now at 190. I have skipped my WW tracking for a few days, so I need to get back on track with that, working on that for today. I think it's hard for me after having been 'bad' I seem to punish myself too much (like now I have to eat super healthy the rest of the week and can have NO treats, or something) and it discourages me. Need to work on just leaving it behind me and continuing on normally, since that's been working.

Congrats to all seeing results and/or making changes!

Forgot to mention that the husband mentioned that he thinks my legs look more toned/firm! :smilie: Yay!

loopyhorse: I used to have that problem too or I'd do the opposite where I would have a bad day of eating and then say to heck with it and give up...Now I just plan to be healthy and make healthy choices, but if I mess up oh well I just move on and continue trying to be healthy and try not to be too hard on myself.

I've been doing pretty well, went from 210 right after Christmas and am now at 190.

"pretty well?" That is PERFECT! Congratulations!!!

That si AWESOME! :yay:

In addition to saying your meal sounds delicious, I have a reeeally stupid question/complaint: I find ot very difficult to eat green beans with slivered almonds (even though I love them) because you can't scoop or stab the almonds with your fork and I want my beans and almonds in my mouth together. Am I just an idiot? (Maybe I don;t want you to answer that....)

Plus, even though Serah is not underweight she does not consume enough calories. There, I said it, Serah. So I would like nick's posts to also be an encouragement to her. :huggy:

serah, "Put the Rice Crispies Down". she's not overweight either, she's BUFF. (just maybe a wee bit of the *burn-out*.) the *inconvenient* truth is that overweight or underweight we all need to eat well and MOVE to achieve the desired result.

gh, in answer to your sort of emily post question ( yeah right--i know ALL about table etiquette) i eat this lovely meal with a fork and SPOON. to scoop every last toasty herb, almond, beany, potatoey goodness into my mouth. i reserve chopsticks for more tricky leafy vegetables. (and tzatzsiki and chopsticks don't mix--you'll starve). fresh thyme, broth, green beans and toasted slivered almonds have become my new best friends (along with the taters and tzatziki).

this is maybe unfair but i am SO excited. a guest chef is coming to salzburg from mexico city to cook at a restaurant called Hangar 7, and we have a table on saturday night! take a gander at his menu. EVERYTHING FRESH!! EIGHT COURSE MENU!! much of it veggies, healthy carbs and home ingredients.

sorry folks. for a country bumpkin in bavaria (the land of pork, pork and more pork and not much in the way of interesting veggies or chiles) this might seem like a *yawn* to you, but a big event for us. olé!

Doing good today! I ran on the treadmill this morning and did a lot of upper body stength exercises along with abs. Eating is going well too, though I am sipping on a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks right now, needed a pick me up between classes and it's so dang cold I wanted something warm. But I controlled myself and got the small skinny coffee, only 100 calories!

I am excited for my workouts this week, I should be able to get four in no problem!

Edited by ohNine

serah, "Put the Rice Crispies Down". she's not overweight either, she's BUFF.

Oh, no no no, I didn't mean to imply that at all! She's a cutie-patootie! But she still doesn't eat enough. ;)

Thanks for the reassurance about eating with a spoon. It was more a question of logistics than propriety anyway, lol! And yes, completely unfair.....enjoy every last morsel, and if you can sneak a pic of the spread that would be the bomb, for sure.

I did 45 minutes of hill intervals on the treadmill, and went to yoga class again. myfitnesspal loves me today, lol!