Barrelhorseluver1

Westren Riding Lesson 2

Brushing your horse

-Use the curry comb to get off all the mud and bring all the dust to the surface

-Spray horse all over except saddle area with shine spray

-tack the curry comb again and rub the spray into the horse

~Take a soft brush and dust him off

Many of us only put show sheen or 'shine spray' on for a show. Most of those dry the coat out too much for daily use. Also if you are brushing the mane and tail with any frequency, you probably don't need a detangler daily either.

Well thats how i do it i use detangler every time i ride because my horses are not kept in a stall and they get it tangled very easily. Also u are right i do not use show sheen every time. But smilie u show horses so thats why u would wash ur horse first.

My mustang have never been in a stall so that's a none issue. Many 'detanglers' will also dry out the hair as a lot of them contact petroleum products or silicone and collect dirt so causing more tangles later on.

Or you can brush, braid and put up the tail so it stays out of the mud and snow; brush mane whenever you groom with a 'peg brush' like a cheap hair brush.

Any hair product/detangler that has silk proteins in it will work very well on the tail and mane. Cowboy Magic detangler has silk proteins which is why it works so well. But it's expensive, so I buy a hair product at Walmart or CVS that is in the special hair products sections, its in a clear bottle with a pink top and it's called Silky Smooth - or something like that, I can never remember the exact name - it's about half the price of Cowboy Magic and works great, I have been using it for years - it was recommended here on HC many years ago and has become one of my standard grooming tools.

My horse is kept outside, with a run in stall for feed times. His tail looks and feels awesome, and I hardly touch it. When I do, I use Vetrolin Shine Spray, and then comb it out slowly with a hair brush a person would use.

I do usually keep it braided in a 3 tube tail bag in the winter, but lost my tailbag, couldn't find one locally, so I didn't bother. I've never had a tail freeze in the winter. I keep the wet products to a minimum, and make sure it's completely dry before braiding. It's usually only braided for the sole purpose of keeping it out of the wet, and mud. I don't want to try and wash out frozen mud balls off the bottom of his tail because the wet mud froze in there. No thank you!

Not people who just show, wash their horses first, before applying a shine spray. First, it's not a necessary tool to everyday grooming. I don't show, and my horse gets bathed a few times throughout the summer. But other than that, he's just curried, and then a soft brush is taken to his coat. He looks awesome, and I do minimal grooming.

Another note, Vetrolin shine isn't a shine spray, or a detangler. It is a coat/hair conditioner. I can use vetrolin once a month, and his hair stays, for the most part, tangle free. I really love the stuff. He hasn't been in a stall in, almost 7 years now.

^^agreed. I love that stuff. I wasn't sure why I couldn't braid my horses tail since he lived outside either?? It's been braided for months and no issues!

I personally do not use any shine or detangling products on my horses on a regular basis. Silicone products simply coat the hair and actually do NOT help it to grow. You'd be better off either washing the horse and using a conditioner, or using a leave-in conditioner (that doesn't require rinsing) to encourage healthy hair. Diet and nutrition is also very important to have a healthy, shiny horse.

However, for showing purposes, I love love Show Sheen and love love Cowboy Magic detanger. Well worth the price tag, in my opinion.