Sign in to follow this  
Aggie

Prayers Needed For My Little One

When she was born our first Pediatrician had said "something was off with her hip" he wanted to take x-rays. We asked the next day at the hospital and we were told to put her in double diapers. I did so and at her 3 week checkup he told me that she no longer needed to be double diapered that she was fine. Switched pediatricians because we moved. At her 2 month checkup for her shots and to see how she was I asked the pediatrician to look at her hips. He didn't like what he saw and set up a appt for her to get it ultrasound-ed The next day i took her to the image center. Girl took images and Radiologist came in complaining that she was not taking good images. Turns out that's just how baby girls hip was. She has a dislocated hip known as Pediatric Hip Dysplasia. My poor baby has gone now almost 3 months of her life with her hip dislocated. Dr said it probably happened due to my low amniotic fluid along with when she was delivered via c-section. I've done research and it looks like what may happen is she gets fitted for a "Pavlic Harness" Dr said most likely we are looking at surgery to correct it. I hope not so prayers that when we go Tuesday to Cooks Children Hospital that they will say surgery is not needed and hopefully just fit her for the harness instead. I know care with the harness will be hard but i feel that will be easier for her and me than surgery.

Heres a pic of my little angel so you know who your praying for...

SmilingBeauty.jpg

Edited by Aggie

how unfortunate!! My sister's baby was born with the same problem...luckily the doctor saw it right away, and little K only had to be in a sling for 4 or 5 weeks. Had the first dr. correctly diagnosed this, surgery would probably have been very unlikely :( Pediatric hip displaysia is actually a lot more common than people may realize. And it seems to affect baby girls more frequently.

Here's hoping your little one doesn't need surgery! Prayer said!!

I wish he would have looked more into it his reply to one of our questions was "Americans just want their babies to be perfect." We took that as an insult seeing as how he was quick to reply instead of quick to check into her little thumb. One of the reasons why we also switched pediatricians. I also read that it affects first born girls more so than boys. I wonder why?

Thank you all for your prayers..

I had that when I was born (50 yrs ago) They found it when I was 5 wks old, I was put in traction for 5 days and then a full body cast across my chest and down my ankles, put my legs out like a frog for 4 months. They then cut it down from my knees down for another 4 months. (I sitting here with my mother who is filling me in on it all). I still have a problem at times with cramping in that hip if I stretch it the wrong way, could never do a front split or holding my legs open delivering my daughter. WHO in fact had the same thing and we did the double diapers, then triple diapers and finally she was fitted with that bar holding her legs open at eight months at Children's Hospital, she was in that for about 4 or 5 months and they finally said there really wasn't anything more to do. They in fact wanted to Xray me and her to see if we were at the same radius, we never did that.

All will be fine with your little girl and for some reason it is more prevalent in girls... :confused0024:

My best to all of you....... :angel3: ... I'll be thinking of you........

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to share my story with you.........

NELass I had read about the cast and the bar but didn't really look much into it. Im now wondering if I should look more into it before Tuesday.

we've had a few foster children in spika casts - the casts did their jobs, but holy cow NOT fun to take care of a child in, essentially, a body cast.

Prayers for your littel one! Some doctors should have never gotten licenses! :angry: Sheeez!

Praying that alternative measures work over the surgery..

AD

Aggie, she'll be fine now that she's been properly diagnosed and you are seeking treatment. None of us want our children to experience pain and possible disability, but they do adjust.

Many come through it just fine, as NELass and I can tell you with specificity regarding this condition. Granted, I still walk somewhat like a duck and I get the same cramping in my hip that NE describes, but I've had a normal life so far as physical ability is concerned.

I never had to deal with the body cast. So sorry you did NE.

My pediatrician was one of the first to be allowed to test out that sling and got me into a field that was being pioneered then - physical therapy. I credit him with ensuring that I can walk properly and without pain for the most part now.

:angel3: Prayers for your sweet little girl's rapid healing

:huggy: Hugs for you and your family as you wait and worry.

:notworthy: This is for your great maternal instinct that led you to challenge what the first pediatrician said.

Thank You Everybody for all your prayers were heading out at 5 in the morning. Her appointment is at 9. She moves her leg without problem but ive been triple diapering her since Dec. 18 so hopefully we will see something good tomorrow. I will update when I find out something...again thank yall for the prayers

Sorry I haven't replied sooner 'numbers', been offline due to dial up in NH. I didn't know the difference because i was so young.

Aggie, please be sure to let us know what they say, I'll be following to see how your little girl makes out.... :huggy::angel3:

Well we went to cooks today. The dr was surprised at how bad it was. Her hip was out of place without even having to move it it was just falling out. She winced. Automatically he said "We are going to try to get her better with this harness but the next option is surgery but we as a team are going to get her better with this. Dont even think surgery." But he did say if we would have gotten into it sooner we would already be healing normal. We go back in 10-14 days to see how its going and then after that every 3 weeks. My poor baby she hates it she so loves her stretching time and shes not able to now she cried and screamed and then i cried. So prayers for both of us. Im going to see if i can find something to protect her skin she has to have this aparatus on her skin. All those onesies are no good i am going to have to take them back and just buy little shirts and some gowns. The looks i got after the dr were like i had some monster child i guess im going to have to get used to those too...Ill update as we go. Thank yall again for your prayers they are very much appreciated.

6118_10151428121735407_1088757249_n.jpg