SweetTalk

Book Suggestion For A Lazy Sunday?

Does anyone have a good book suggestion? Thinking about treating myself to a new book on my Nook today. Fiction or non-fiction, either way. I have eclectic tastes. :smileywavey: Thanks!

Edited by SweetTalk

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn -- thrill/mystery

Big Sky Montana by Linda Lael Miller -- feel good/romantic western

Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky -- about a teen pregnancy pact

Slammed by Colleen Hoover -- this one is kind of a teen romance book, but I really liked it and it's sequal

The Things We Do For Love by Kristin Hannah -- an underdog young female who finds a "family" with a woman who has issues of her own

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Damaged by Cathy Glass -- this one is a really deep and disturbing read. Very similiar to "The Child Called It,"as it's also a true story about child abuse. This one is told from the little girl's foster parent's view.

The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski -- about two 20-somethings who are lost in their lives and cross each other's paths.

All the other books I have on my nook are those trashy romance novels or are books that aren't worth passing on. If you're into trashy romance books..

Vortex by Cherry Adair ....well, anything by Cherry Adair will fit the bill

I have a few unread books that I still need to get to.

Nineteen Minutes by Jody Picoult

Little Boy Blue by Kim Kavin

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Shbosky

Right now I'm reading The Soul of a Horse by Joe Camp... it's kind of a slow but interesting read. The chapters switch from the story of a wild horse being domesticated to chapters that Joe has written about his personal horse experience and some more educational info regarding a natural approach to keeping horses.

I love my nook so much!

Want a light and fresh read with a touch of whimsical? Try Sarah Addison Allen.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/sarah-addison-allen/

Sugar Queen was 9 shades of awesome! I've read Peach Keeper and Girl Who Chased the Moon. Need to read Garden Spells, which I've been told is her best.

I *love* FantasticFiction for looking up books/authors. If you scroll to the bottom, it will list similar books you may like.

I'm not much of a book person, but one I really enjoyed was The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It's from a dogs point of view and done pretty well.... but have Kleenex handy when you read it! lol

I *loved* the Art of Racing in the Rain! LOVED IT!

One line has stuck with me. The dog is explaining why he peed on so-and-so's jacket, it is the fact they (animals) can only communicate with gestures. So, the take-away-message here, is if you don't like someone, pee on their jacket.

I read The Book of Negroes in grade 11, about 4 years ago and that's a book I always recommend to others. It was amazing. I think it goes by Say My Name or Whats my name since the original title was too "extreme"

Don't laugh but...I downloaded a book called The A Circuit. Haven't read it yet. Ended up feeling like something horsey, and that's what I found.

i got some great ideas here.

if youre looking for something horsey, have you read "riding lessons" and "flying changes"? both written by Sara Gruen? the main character is slightly nevrotic and annoying at times but the stories do flow.

Lyndon Stacey is also one of my favorite horsey writers... "Blindfold" and "cut throat" are my favorites, but "deadfall" and the Daniel Wheland mysteries are also great!

Good suggestions!

Skjotta, I have read the Sara Gruen books, they are excellent!

I'm currently reading The Scorpio Races, and am really enjoying it.

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The Scorpio RACESsssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved it. Loved IT! LOVED IT!

Can you tell? LOL

I didn't want the book to end. I want to see that book as a MOVIE. It was one of the most original horse stories I've read in my entire life and I loved it.

Love Scorpio Races!!

And .... It has been optioned into a movie!!

Even has a screenwriter signed! I think 2015.

Don't laugh but...I downloaded a book called The A Circuit. Haven't read it yet. Ended up feeling like something horsey, and that's what I found.

I've read it! It's good. Also anything by Bev Petterson is good too! :)

Love Scorpio Races!!

And .... It has been optioned into a movie!!

Even has a screenwriter signed! I think 2015.

Excellent! *rubs hands and grins gleefully*

NO. I tell everyone I hand this book to; "No one you care about, dies in this book."

In fact, there is only one death that bothers me, but I also feel it *needs* to be in there so the reader understands the danger of the world.

I lovelovelove Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley. I own a hardback copy and just finished reading it for about the sixth time. It is so smart, and horse-y and sad and enlightening and deep and wonderful. Mostly just wonderful. And amazing. Jane Smiley was brilliant with this book.

One of my favorite go-to books when i want something good to read is The Outlaws of Sherwood, by Robin McKinley. Robin is an entirely human character in this book, and love his portrayal and the story in general. Love it.

The Thirteenth Tale is a mystery/ghost story that is not overly scary. A little dark and heavy, but an incredible novel and a real surprise. It is hard to put things over on me, but this book managed it.

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite novels of all time. I have read it ten times and never get tired of it.

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series of books is wonderful, light-hearted reading.

I'll stop there. I love to read, and have read voraciously in the past. I don't have as much time or stamina to just sit and read a book through in an afternoon, but every once in a while I just do.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I am always looking for good book recommendations.

Discovery of Witches and follow that up with Shadow of Night. She is currently writing book 3.

Oooh good reminder! I've meant to check these out...