sjf0822

Ok, Tell Me If I Am Being A Prude

23 members have voted

1. 1. Is "Blow My Whistle" an appropriate song to play at a school event for K-5th grade?

• Yes
    • No

OK, so I saw this come up as a local discussion. Last week there was a fundraiser activity at the local elementary school (kindergarten through 5th I think?) Anyhow, one mother was appalled that they played "Blow My Whistle" and some other suggestive songs.

I of course haven't heard the song being old and uncool, but google the lyrics. :twitch:

Now, I will admit, that as a teen I listened to my fair share of "questionable" music. I still have much of it on my iPod, it's good work out music. However, I do not play it around my 2 year old daughter, and probably won't for some time.

My parents were the same way, they did not allow MTV (back when they played videos!) until we were in high school.

There were some people who thought it was a ridiculous thing to be upset about... and thought the fact that it was a fundraiser made it ok.

Am I just becoming an old prude?

Prude!!!

No, j/k. I haven't looked up the lyrics yet so I am not to aware of the song. There are planty of songs that shouldn't be heard by kids. I for one would never let my niece or nephew listen to the music I do. I listen to some pretty hard core death, goth, punk, heavy metal type stuff (you know, that stuff that supposedly kills plants or whatever the experiment was). If I went to something and they were allowing the kids their age to listen to it, I would probably blow a gasket.

Off to google this song since I don't know it.

Wow, went and googled. Flo Rida was the first clue it wasn't going to be appropriate. The lyrics... soooo not appropriate. At all. I'd have been upset. Do we get to make a prude club now?

I don't even WANT to look up the lyrics. It's bad enough that I flipped out over "Sexy & I know it".

On THAT note, there's nothing quite like being a single mom, getting ready for work, & getting out of the shower, to find your TWO year old coming out of your room mate's room, shaking his butt, singing, "Shake that arse for me, shake that arse for me..." :shocked::thud: (Had to have a talk with the roomie about her choice of wake up dancin' songs when the kid was around!)

So yea, I'm in the Prude club too! :smileywavey:

I think it is entirely unacceptable. Unfortunately society has a very skewed sense of the level of appropriateness. It used to be an art; hiding true meanings in cleverly crafted lyrics. (Sayge, I'm sure you can think of a few older songs :)) ...new music is so blatant.

Add me to the club.

I'm also accused and willingly wear the I'm a prude t shirts. Shoot I monitor what the 7 yr old watches and listens to!! My parents say to loosen up. Nope. People are to lax about this stuff.

I love me some Ozzie and Metallica, but some of the new stuff? Nasty! Yep, add me to the prude list. If *I* don't want to hear it, No child should ever.

Ok, thank you because I was starting to think I was crazy!

One excuse was "they do not know what it means." Well I do not want to have a conversation about why it is inappropriate to sing that song with a 6 year old! Not to mention, there is always an older kid all too willing to explain it to them.

I said if I were there, I would have left, and probably asked for a refund. Someone actually sent me a message telling me how rude that is because it was a fundraiser, and that I shouldn't be such a prude! Hahahahaha.

Why do people not want kids to be kids as long as possible? I don't get it. Add me to the prudes also. I would prefer my child not learn that garbage any sooner than necessary.

Yeah Me too. And I would've stated that that music isn't appropriate for kids in that age group.

I saw the fuss too QnP; I googled it.

*I* would not listen to that crap and if I had kids, I wouldn't let THEM listen to it either.

Ever, probably.

There's been a few things lately that has raised my eyebrows in the community. New people moved in? Or are we just getting old?

I think it is entirely unacceptable. Unfortunately society has a very skewed sense of the level of appropriateness. It used to be an art; hiding true meanings in cleverly crafted lyrics. (Sayge, I'm sure you can think of a few older songs :)) ...new music is so blatant.

Add me to the club.

Hahaha, I had about 20 roll through my head. I like raunchy music! Especially if it is sung by Robert Plant, yummmmy.

As a parent I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing the sexualization of little kids. The part that really bothers me is that it seems to be more and more widely accepted as ok. That song is full of inuendo and is not appropriate for kids.

Ok... I'm 22 and I didn't even know that song. Although, I only listen to country and classic rock. I wouldn't listen to it and I wouldn't want young kids to listen to it either... Partly because of the innuendos and partly because I don't like how those types of songs tell boys to treat women as well as what nicknames to call them...

Ok... I'm 22 and I didn't even know that song. Although, I only listen to country and classic rock. I wouldn't listen to it and I wouldn't want young kids to listen to it either... Partly because of the innuendos and partly because I don't like how those types of songs tell boys to treat women as well as what nicknames to call them...

Agree. And I don't like how they tell girls to behave in response to males either. Girls "learn" how they are expected to behave from pop culture. So we have a song where a man is instructing a woman in sexual service and the message is 'do what He tells you because it's fun'... ?!?!? Sick. It's totally sick for any age but it's an appalling choice for K-5. Add me to the prude list. I also would have complained.

Andi, I really do not know. I think some of the moms might be pretty young, so they are still a part of that culture and not know any better? I find that as a parent, I set my boundaries for my child very closely to how my parents raised me. So if they were raised thinking it is ok...

Never heard the song, don't need to.

I'm 25, I've heard my fair share of raunchy music. I talk like a sailor when I'm with my friends (and away from small children), but I don't care for that kind of music. I have an 8 year old student that I teach riding lessons to that will start singing those kinds of songs while she's on a walk break. It always weirds me out, but who am I to tell someone they shouldn't let their kid listen to that sort of thing. I usually just interrupt her and make her do something else. :crazy:

I'm a prude, and I'll be proud of it!

Now, I don't mind a little innuendo, especially in the animated movies. Heck, I'm about to adopt a line from Ice Age 4, said by Sid the Sloth: "Holy crab!"

At first, I thought that kids that young aren't gonna "get it" but other kids can and will, I agree this song was innapropriate because it *is* sexually suggestive and while I was unable to put a name to it, Amazona and Token were able to pin-point my unease ... which was the song instructing how men/women behave towards each other with sexually oriented euphemisms as being acceptable. The *only* redeeming-ish quality of the song is where the lyrics say they "don't dislike exclusivity". Unless I read it wrong. And if I did, then I don't think there is any good quality to the song for our youth.

I do not think it should be played at a fundraiser around kids... At all.

That said... I love that song. LOL. In my defense, it took me about 3 weeks before I realized what it was talking about, and by then it was already in my head. **** you can flog me now****

Hahaha Eskie. I'll be honest that if I heard it I would probably like it. There are a few Flo Rida songs that I like.

I may be more than just a prude, I'm probably old-fashioned, too. It's not just certain raunchy songs that are played within the hearing of kids that worry me, but even some love songs meant primarily for adult ears (and love songs are NOT what they used to be a few decades ago). You know, the kind of stuff about romance and kissing and emotional breakups, and there are some REALLY little kids that listen to this kind of music (usually because their parents are always playing it in the house) -- I'm talking in the five- to nine-year old range. Even for preteens, I'm concerned that these kind of songs arouse feelings that they're not ready to handle. Take "Call Me Maybe," for instance, which I believe can encourage some girls to be boy-crazy before they really understand what boy-girl romances are all about. Until they hit at least their teen years, kids just need to learn to just be friends with children of the opposite sex, and they shouldn't even be THINKING about kissing, dating, sex and the like. But in today's world, where kids grow up faster than they used to and many know more about sex at younger ages than they used to, it's kind of hard to keep kids away from all of it. The best thing to do is just to give them lots of guidance as to what is and isn't appropriate for their age range.

Ok I finally went and listened to it. Still sticking with my answer that I would NOT let a kid listen to it. However I found it rather catchy. I wouldn't turn the station if it came on (it will never be on the station I listen to though). I won't actively seek it out again either, but I might have danced in my seat a bit and sang along by the end.

I have no problems with adults, or even teens listening to whatever they like. I know there are several songs I am a bit embarrassed to admit I like, LOL. I was just shocked to see so many people surprised that some parents found it inappropriate.

... kids just need to learn to just be friends with children of the opposite sex, and they shouldn't even be THINKING about kissing, dating, sex and the like. But in today's world, where kids grow up faster than they used to and many know more about sex at younger ages than they used to, it's kind of hard to keep kids away from all of it.

JMM, I don't have kids but you just touched on a button of mine. I agree that kids are growing up waaaay too fast. There are too many teen and pre-teen pregnancies (maybe I should say JR High?) to claim otherwise. I understand that when we are kids, we CAN'T WAIT to grow up. Everyone makes that the goal: When you're taller, when you're older, you have to be Xyrs old before you can have Z. I wish more kids were just *friends* with each other and w/out the drama of who is 'dating' or 'going with' whom and what base they reached.

Childhood is fleeting. I understand that many kids are forced into an adult world's realities much too young, but I wish ALL of them could be loved, protected, cared for and treated respectfully as a growing person. For those children not in bad circumstances, childhood is The Last Time children will feel 100% safe and secure with no major worries. Once childhood is over, there is education, jobs, mortgages, vehicles, bills, relationships, possibly marriage, possibly with children, possibly with hecka mini-problems that add up to a mega-problem. In general, kids don't have (or shouldn't have) to worry about lifes minutiae when they are small. As they grow up and mature, more and more weight of responsibility for themselves settles on their shoulders and they will eventually (hopefully?) be out from under the 100% protection of their parents as they learn to spread their wings and fly.

Kids need to be kids, but they also need to grow up into responsible members of society. Just don't make it happen faster than it needs to happen.

Edited by Heidi n Q

Prude club here too... one of my kiddles at Daycare is 4 and she came in the room shaking her hinney singing that song. I promptly stopped her.

I don't even let my 22 month old son watch the "new" toons on nick. Its mindless junk. Pbs, baby Einstein, or disney/pixar movies for him. Or how about no tv? Works for me...

Atta girl! :yahoo:

Hey....but it sells.... and the people like it! Woodstock anyone?

I was told they play this song in PE class at the school. My friends 1st grader came home singing it. She did not care either... She is in the "oh she does not know what it means" camp.

I have a feeling the teachers are going to hate me!

Ok well kids don't truely get the meaning of f*?k or b!t?h but I don't see it being ok for them to say or use those words. Maybe I'm just to up tight and need to loosen up.