Sign in to follow this  
sjf0822

Steubenville

Surprised this is not here yet. Not sure what part to debate exactly... But it might be interesting to discuss. I have been following this closely because it is pretty close to where I was born and raised.

I will say from living in that area it is well known for its corruption. And I do not care if the boys watching broke no laws, there for sure should be a code of ethics and they should have been benched or off the team at the very least.

Is being drunk really an excuse??? (Although I believe she was "roofied").

How can stop the culture where this is acceptable?

Why aren't the adults who hosted these parties being charged?

Do you think Anonymous is doing a good thing in this case?

Should the boy in the video lose his scholarship?

Edited by quarters n paints

I am heart-broken by this. I did not click on any links, what was on the main page was bad enough.

As if it were "guns" that make us such a base society. :mecry:

I truly, truly hope there will be justice. If what Anonymous is posting is true it is absolutely the right thing. Media attention can fuel a fire like none other, sometimes. Hopefully law enforcement will work extra-hard at gathering actual evidence to use against every single person involved in this.

:sick:

The fact that so many people within the school and community are trying to cover up for these poor excuses of human flesh is utterly sickening... I feel as though maybe another county needs to step in and take over because of the obvious conflict of interest keeping the current PD or sheriffs dept on the case.

Something similar actually happened with some people in my graduating class. There was a group of boys who would get younger classmen drunk and use the date rape drug to render them unconscious, then proceed to rape them. Although there was no sick coverup going on within the town, and all were charged with either rape or accessory to rape, but not until a total of 3 girls came forward.

on another note... What does having a hunting rifle with a scope on the floor during one of the "rape crew" videos have anything to do with anything except to wrongly paint gun owners as nutz-o sociopaths who now apparently drug and rape unsuspecting girls??

Wow.... I watched the drunken rant video. I feel physically ill. No second thought about laughing it up about the things done to her. I hope the entire "crew" burns for this and they become someone's b!+ch in prison. Just sick.

Edited by Appaloosa Luver

This is very very close to where I live.......its caused quite an up roar and really scares me knowing my son will be raised here.....maybe home school? Lol

Welcome to football, and the football mentality. You raise these boys to think because they can throw or catch a ball that they are infallible and invincible and above the law. Believe me, folks, this isn't an isolated case. Thousands of athletes every year are pushed through school with inflated grades and slaps on the wrists for crimes, just to keep them eligible.

The drunken rant video... there are no words. And his lawyer had a press conference because he's being harassed and had to drop out of Ohio State. BOO HOO.

http://www.newser.co...of-college.html

Oh, and just a FYI... this part of that article

Meanwhile, another Steubenville student, one who hosted a party the night of the alleged attacks, might lose his wrestling scholarship at Kent State, notes USA Today.

Yeah... that would be the prosecuting attorney's son- which makes you wonder, was the party then AT HER HOME? Some of the other parties were at assistant coaches homes. :angry:

This received some coverage from CNN, and even Nancy Grace had the story on her show Monday. Usually I cannot handle her, but she's got the kind of tenacity I think this story needs.

Other things that really upset me are that the coach didn't bench any players because "they didn't think they had done anything wrong."

There is also SO much attacking the victim out there. I do not care if she was walking around naked... without consent it is RAPE! I actually saw a comment or two last night where people actually say that she needs to drop this so she "doesn't ruin these boys lives." :shocked:

Edited by quarters n paints

I actually saw a comment or two last night where people actually say that she needs to drop this so she "doesn't ruin these boys lives." :shocked:

Ummm when they decided to gang rape her the sealed their own fate!

Ummm when they decided to gang rape her the sealed their own fate!

Agreed!!!!

I also agree there are athletes who are pushed through school and handed good grades because they were outstanding athletes, my husband admits this himself, he was all state all 4 years of high school football. But this case is so extreme and SICK. Its one thing to have parties with some underage drinking, but to have rape parties?!?! And to be known around your school as the "rape crew", hmmm, obviously they were never taught morals by their parents, coaches, teachers, etc. Parenting FAIL.

Welcome to football, and the football mentality. You raise these boys to think because they can throw or catch a ball that they are infallible and invincible and above the law. Believe me, folks, this isn't an isolated case. Thousands of athletes every year are pushed through school with inflated grades and slaps on the wrists for crimes, just to keep them eligible.

Bingo!!

They learn that all that matters is their sport and they can practically get away with murder with no repercussions, so they can play the next game.

hmmm, obviously they were never taught morals by their parents, coaches, teachers, etc. Parenting FAIL.

If the parents, coaches and teachers were UNaware of the goings on. And being assistant coaches house was used in part of the crime, I'm venturing to guess they knew but turned a blind eye.

If the parents, coaches and teachers were UNaware of the goings on. And being assistant coaches house was used in part of the crime, I'm venturing to guess they knew but turned a blind eye.

yeah, well, that is still no excuse. And I don't believe for a minute they didn't know what was going on. Even without the rape there was enough inappropriate behavior for those adults to lose their jobs.

We found out that not only was our younger son smoking pot but doing it at the house and carrying in his car. WE KNOW we are responsible for what happens on our property, so the law was laid down. "We cannot control whether you decide to smoke illegally, but we CAN control the fact that it will not happen here or in our vehicles." Boy2 understood this and straightened up his act to the extent that he no longer implicated us in his activities.

Bingo!!

They learn that all that matters is their sport and they can practically get away with murder with no repercussions, so they can play the next game.

This is not all football players. There will be bad in every group. Let's not condemn them all because a few do such things.

:thud:

This is not all football players. There will be bad in every group. Let's not condemn them all because a few do such things.

holy crap. a 23 year old medical student was raped in a bus by a bunch of drunk guys on the 12th of december in india, and they took a metal rod to her intestines. she DIED from internal injuries because of their *fun*. guess we shouldn't condemn for them doing these things. :bang_head: .

not condemning ALL football players.. just those guilty of doing such BS and thinking that they will get away with it becuase their gods gift to sports. :rolleye0014: i appreciate people who come by their "status" honestly.

everyone needs to be held accountable for their actions. especially when its things of this nature. who cares if their going to lose their scholarships, they dont deserve them if their going to go around doing such things. they deserve jail time and fines. but likely, they will get off scott free to do it again.. knowing that they may get a slap on teh wrist.. :angry:

Why do some guys think rape is a contact sport?

Perhaps it's the women who fight back??

What are these guys doing loose on the streets?

The sports program should be scrapped for at least 10 years,

All the coaching staff needs to go get ****,

Any parents who don't like it should hand over their daughters!

They don't deserve them.

What are these guys doing loose on the streets?

The sports program should be scrapped for at least 10 years,

All the coaching staff needs to go get ****,

Any parents who don't like it should hand over their daughters!

They don't deserve them.

So, the rest of the players who work their tails off and are good people, have to lose something they are passionate about as well as possible scholarships? All because a small fraction of the players are rapists?

That's like all Americans losing their right to bare arms because of some psychos decide to shoot up some schools. Oh wait.....

So, the rest of the players who work their tails off and are good people, have to lose something they are passionate about as well as possible scholarships? All because a small fraction of the players are rapists?

That's like all Americans losing their right to bare arms because of some psychos decide to shoot up some schools. Oh wait.....

Go read this article, and come back and tell me why you think football is such a GREAT sport?

http://www.rd.com/true-stories/football-safety-why-i-broke-up-with-the-sport/

We had a young football player here commit suicide last year, no explanation, no warning, the only thing was he had several head knocks/concussions in the past few years.

Though that is beside the point...no one is saying FOOTBALL is bad (other than me LOL!), but the sports-is-king mentality is terrible, it exists EVERYWHERE and at EVERY level, and if you think it doesn't you are truly ignorant of the real world.

Don't tell me the whole team didn't know this was going on!

The "innocent" ones should have said something right then.

Awful big gap between privalige and poor.

Go read this article, and come back and tell me why you think football is such a GREAT sport?

http://www.rd.com/true-stories/football-safety-why-i-broke-up-with-the-sport/

We had a young football player here commit suicide last year, no explanation, no warning, the only thing was he had several head knocks/concussions in the past few years.

Though that is beside the point...no one is saying FOOTBALL is bad (other than me LOL!), but the sports-is-king mentality is terrible, it exists EVERYWHERE and at EVERY level, and if you think it doesn't you are truly ignorant of the real world.

The same could be said about the sport/hobby of horse ownership though!

You have to admit, horses tend to attract the crazies who get off on controlling a large animal lol!

When I saw this thread, my brain translated it to be a reference to the saddle maker.... I wish I hadn't clicked and learned otherwise.

Horrifying on so many different levels.

This is very common with football, I'm afraid. It can exist with other sports, but it seems to be mostly football players and football coaches that we hear about. Did you see the quotes from the coach? Isn't he a gem? /sarcasm/

anybody remember the tragic and truly horrific sandusky related case? VERY recent, and VERY disillusioning. but, but all in the name of winning and maintaining a "reputation".

wonder what they did with his statue...

and yes cool rabbit--concussions and playing despite them at your coach's behest are one of football's (american and otherwise) "dirty little secrets".

Frankly I was shocked when the Cowboys football team allowed their player on the field after he killed another teammate in a drunk-driving incident. Even if he wasn't playing.