Horsefeather

Loose Horse Question

How long would you spend trying to catch a loose horse...that was NOT yours.

apparemtly, the time i spent in the cold twilight before giving up and going inside was not adequate to the owners who came by AN HOUR after i called to inform them their horse was loose.

they actually had the nerve to tell me i didnt try hard enough.

if we didnt live by a busy road where no one follows the speed limit and baby wasnt at gmas, wouldnt have bothered

Edited by Horsefeather

I would have laughed in their faces and then shut the door.

As long as you tried your best, then you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Edited by Eskielvr

They're lucky you tried at all since it was just one animal. Besides, you could have not called them or anyone else.

Here one of the neighbors' cattle get loose a few times a year. Invariably, when one of the other neighbors call, he's not home. So, next, either the neighbors get together and move the herd back into the pasturage or, if there are too few, someone calls the sheriff's office and gets more help to move them back in.

That's an entire herd, however. One loose horse, meh, it'll go home eventually if there's food there. Call the owner, call the sheriff and if you can't get it within a few minutes, no harm, no foul.

Whenever my horse got loose I was the one who would get called and it was me rushing out the door to get her. My mom April fooled me one year by waking me up saying BO called saying Farleena wasnt in her paddock... I got up so fast and was about to go and dad was like wth is going on!

A neighbors horse? I would give one chance, if it ran away that would be it... If I were boarding someone's horse here I would feel obligated to try until caught, as well as call owner to get here and help.

I would never expect someone to try and catch my horses if they got loose, a call would be sufficient, either to me directly or to the sheriffs dept. if it were my horse out I would've politely thanked you for your efforts, but some people are rude.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have a baby a month or so ago?

If that's the case, They were LUCKY you even tried to catch their horse. :excl:

If not, like I said :twitch: Excuse Me :surrender:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have a baby a month or so ago?

If that's the case, They were LUCKY you even tried to catch their horse. :excl:

If not, like I said :twitch: Excuse Me :surrender:

i did..shes 2 months old. but she was at her grandmas. if she was at home with me , i wouldnt have bothered with the horse

One neighbor I would try for awhile because she's a friend. I would at least keep an eye on them til somebody got there.....a random neighbor? Nope! A few minutes with a grain bucket and then I'm done!

I don't bother any more. We have a neighbor who's horse used to constantly get out. I'd gather her up, put her in our pasture, give him a call or go knock on his door (he's literally next door). He always said he'd be right over to get her then would show up whenever. Once he came by at 10 p.m., once he showed up 3 days later...

I always asked him to let me know when he got here just in case my own horses made a break for it, etc. He never bothered, the only way I knew he was on the property was when I was lucky enough to hear him out there. The last time I caught her he walked her home with one of my halters, took me weeks to get it back.

Never a thank you, never any offer of reimbursement for feed...

I finally gave up due to her constantly being out. I decided I was spending too much time chasing his horse and he didn't appreciate the effort any way. I would have felt bad if she'd been hit by a car or whatever, but I have 5 of my own that I'm responsible for and they are priority.

I've only had to catch horses twice, and it was easy. They came into the yard!

The neighbor had two Morgans that came strolling into the yard one day. I haltered them, and my husband and I led them back up the road and put them back into their pasture. Next day they came strolling into the yard AGAIN. This time I put them into a fenced off section of my pasture, separated from my horses and called the neighbor who was at work.

The horses were fine there till she came to get them later that afternoon. They were escape artists, and it some looking, the neighbor said, to find where they'd gotten out. She fixed the problem, and no more escapes.

Just a couple weeks ago, we heard that a horse was loose on a highway near here. Evidently it was becoming a traffic hazard, was raiding haystacks, and was thin. The police tried to capture it (I'm thinking they didn't try very hard), then shot it, and left it in the ditch! Rumor has it that later the body was gone. So, maybe the owner came to get it and didn't want it to be known who the owner was. That situation made me mad.

No one would have any problem catching my horses if they got out. They think everyone has food for them. lol. I wouldn't attempt to catch the horse next time since they seemed incredibly ungrateful.

iusually called our neighbor to let him know his horses were loose down here....I didn't bother to get them they were not very well halter trained.....very hard to catch....

he would herd them with his 4-wheeler.

When my horses got out, the one neighbor did catch them.bring them home.othewise i got a call.

Edited by Ann Wheeler

That was not right of them to be rude..;..If my horses got out, I appreciate it if someone catches them. The first day I had Hagen, he got out. Luckily the neighbors grabbed him and put him in their paddock. They just didn't know who he belonged so they didn't come tell me. I drove allll over looking for him and he was right. next. door... lol He was an escape artist... He had gotten out of his pen again after I moved and was trying to find a place to keep him. The friends that lived there still didn't bother to tell me he had been missing for THREE days. As soon as I knew he was missing, I drove all the way there and searched for him again. Found him and put him back... Wasn't happy about the situation and got him out asap. Moved him to Saudimacks place... Then, He jumped out of Saudimacks paddock after I had sold him. Her mom got an e-mail saying a red dun horse had been found wondering the neighborhood, they didn't live there at the time because they had moved. Sooo.... I had to go find him, again lol. I always left some money when he had gotten out and someone stuck him in their pasture. It may not have been much but I felt horrible that someone had to tend to the needs of MY horse.

we've had donkeys cows horses dogs everything come to our yard and into the paddock. i swear one horse could have sworn up and down he lived here he was an old bay would just come id open the gate and he would walk right in owner always knew where to find him. others would come with the shake of the grain pail one ran off and me and my husband chased him for about 30 minutes only cause there was a big get together in the town next to ours everyone goes to it but we didn't and so we knew the owners weren't home and we live near a main highway. but in return when Buddie gets out we have people who will catch him either put him in our yard or theirs once we were 5 hours away wen i got a call from my mom saying Buddie got out and she couldn't find him got a call about 20 minutes later saying she found him penned up in a yard with a note on the gate saying he was fine there just close the gate when we picked him up

Those people who are overly casual about having their horses loose would feel entirely different if their horse killed someone by getting hit on the road.

That has happened around here with "legit" escapes and it is something a horse owner never forgets. One guy couldn't get over it and ended up selling all his horses.

Depends on who and what and etc.

I keep mine in a place where most every horse there is a barn buddy/neighbor horse situation.

Most of the runaways don't get too far away from the immediate area inside our facility...going down the road onto the street where the gen public is will normally not happen.

a loose horse problem for us is that the perp is running around feeding on stuff left out for other people's horses and aggrivating the contained horses in all the stalls. The B.O. gets mad b/c they usually run a muck thru her yard and tear up the ground.

She will call the owner and if the horse is 'catchable', she will get anyone who is there to go get it.

If not, horse is loose until owner comes...or they get an earfull from her.

The neighbor barn's studs and buffalo jump fences and come into our pasture a bunch.

She handles it the same way.

Loose on the road? Like a stranger's horse? Then a call to 9-1-1 is what anyone around here would do...unless the horse just walks up or stands there begging for capture...but if horse is not recognized...9-1-1.

That doesn't really happen much. Not on the road/neighborhood anyway.

My bro's cows cross the highway in bad weather when the fence is compromised but they only to go across the street into neighbor's pasture and we get called almost immediately...usually by the cops.

Edited by teampenninglady123

You tried your best when you didn't have to do anything at all. I wouldn't feel bad about it. An hour is the most time I've spent catching a horse. That was my horse though, if it wasn't mine an hour or whenever it became obvious to me that I wasn't going to be successful.

My dad has a neighbor whose pony gets out all the time. I don't know how many times I've caught her, led her to their house, and tried to tell them about it. They won't answer the door. Yes there are people in the house and they see me but they will not answer the door when I am standing on the porch with their pony. I usually end up putting it back in the pasture and fixing any noticeable holes in their fence myself.

The last time she got out I decided I was through taking care of their horse and fence and just ignored it. The pony stayed loose for three days before i saw it back in their pasture.

And if I call animal control they will learn who called and I don't want them to retaliate and do something to my animals like open my gates while I'm not there. These people are known for not being nice.

Edited by smokeslastspot

Our horse got out one day. (Haflinger, stepped on live electric fence and crawled out). Neighbor caught him and took him down the road into a half fallen down barn near the woods. We followed his foot prints to the neighbors house. Kids didn't say anything them their Mom came out. She insisted it wasn't our horse, never saw it in our pasture, blah blah blah. She did eventually take us to him, but I still think it's a fishy story.

I'd be THANKFUL that you even attempted and that you contacted me!

We got my mom a mini donkey, if the fence wont hold water he gets out...ugh....he usually never leaves our property when he is outside the pasture he just eats grass in the yard, or in the river bottom hayfield. One day he was missing, so I started to hunt for him. Turns out some neighbors who knew where he lived had caught him and taken him a mile or so from the road and put him in their hog lot behind a barn....if he wasnt very vocal when you call him I would have never found him. The neighbors saw me coming up their road and went inside and locked their doors. They still avoid my family like the plague.

Depends on which neighbors. One of them I just call the sheriff on and they inform them and they come out. The other I would try quite a bit as they are wonderful people!

I have actually helped quite a few loose horses around here. One I assisted the local sheriff with after bringing Ice home from the vet. That horse was plain mean, tried to bite me multiple times. Sheriff said it was getting out almost daily. Another I just pulled over and caught and guided him back into the yard and locked the gate that was unsecured.

People are more in the mindset of 'livestock' and don't give much care. I have also called the sheriff a couple of times on loose cows, and bulls. Just another day out here in the middle of no where! lol

Bless you, for taking the time. and trouble, to try and catch a loose horse that you did not know. The owners were wrong to treat you badly. Their being upset with the situation is no excuse for it, but that kind of abusive behaivor happens a lot with upset folks. You sure didn't let their horse loose. It would not have been your fault if an accident would have been caused by that loose horse.

I personally want to thank you though. As thin as 911 resources are spread, due to the economy, along with bad judgement, on the part of decision makers, we all have to take more responsibility for issues that occur in our neighborhoods, that we can safely address. It can't always be someone elses problem. That mentality wil take precious resources away from dire emergencies. States have enacted good samaratin laws to protect citizens who do help.

Good samaratin laws by state web addy

http://www.heartsafeam.com/pages/faq_good_samaritan

You tried and you called. You can say you did what was supposed to be done. Up to the owners to catch their horses if after a good honest effort you weren't able to. Part of being the owner. I have had my share of rounding up strays of all types of critters and those repeat offenders found out the hard way that if they weren't respectful of me and were rude they didn't receive help or much more than a phone call the next time. I thankfully have amazing neighbors. We had gotten a new gelding and my proud cut gelding ran him through the fence shortly after we had left to the city(they had been just fine together for a few days) one of the neighbors scooped him up and called me right away. Other times they have gotten out of their usual pasture into other quarters of ours and the phone rang off the hook because everyone was worried they were out , lol.

Sorry to hear that you have some rude, idiots for neighbors.

Some moronic people always blame others for their own shortcomings.

We had a neighbor who used to brag that he was the only one who could catch his horses. He thought it would stop thieves from taking them. :rolleye0014:

Where I live, they charge $250 per animal if the Sheriff has to round up livestock. That seems to have cut down on the number of poorly maintained fences!

We are a fence in state, instead of a fence out.

What ungrateful people! They obviously need a lesson in manners.

One of mine got out one time at 0300. The dogs were barking up a storm and got me out of bed. I searched for 3 hours, through the fields, the woods, got in my truck and drove roads and through more fields. I was walking back up the steps to the house when I heard him whinny, turns out my neighbor had found him and put him up in his barn! I was so gratefully. He gave him hay and water and put him in a stall. So I will return the favor if it was one of his.

I would be EXTREMELY greatful to anyone who caught or called me if my horses were out.

Most recently I caught someone's loose stud on my road. I sure didn't want him loose and running through my fences to get at my mares. He was a handful and I was in a suit skirt and heels. lol. Neighbors had a heavy duty roundpen we stuck him in. Took 2 days to locate owners.

If horse is easy enough to catch, I'm happy to do it and put it in a safe place. I will give it a bit of time with grain and a halter, but if I can't catch the sucker and he's gone down the road, forget it.