Sign in to follow this  
Sakura18

Outside Dogs?

No worrys, some people do need clarification, just sayin' :confused0024:

I also think she's gorgeous, so don't mind bringing her up.

Edited by okate

My dog was a oops dog! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, I'm outside often, we go for walks nearly every night, and dog park once or twice a week. If its not me out there, it's my roommates dad who adores him out there giving him treats and love. So even though he is outdoors, he is still very well part of the family.

When I was in MN last winter, my son's VERY short haired hound lived outside on a cable runner, with an insulated dog house stuffed with hay also. I had the kid bring him in when it was below zero, because *I* was worried about long ears with short hair on them. Actually, the Ex had us bring all the dogs in when it was below zero.

Here in TX, I leave my bigger mutt outside as much as possible, because he pants & paces inside, or snags litter box treats when I am not looking, then eats them on the bed! He goes riding or walking with me daily, our shortest average loop is 2 1/2 miles. He's still a PITA, (herding breeds, mostly, with some rat terrorist in there for some devious destruct-o-dog brain waves) & laughs at my inventions to keep him contained in the yard. The yard is 4ft chain link fence, approx 35X75, with an igloo dog house stuffed with hay. He sleeps on top of it. :rolleye0014:

Now, the little 6# Chi-Rat-terrorist sleeps under the covers with the kid or I, has the typical Chi shivers, & the terrorist ability to weasel out of any sort of sweater or dog coat. :thud: I think he would probably go postal or something if we MADE him stay outside for any length of time, lol!

Growing up on my grandparents farm we had probably on average 8 dogs at a time....a few were allowed in the house but most were outside with a big dog box and a long chain......if it weren't for us grand kids, no they probably wouldn't have gotten much attention but with four of us, they got plenty of attention, also half of them were strays that would get dropped off and we would convince grandma and grandpa to let us keep.....I remember middle of winter going outside and climbing inti the dog box and visiting with them.....we had the best security system though, one dog was chained near the chickens to deter coons, one near the garage in case anyone came snooping and you can bet no one ever got anywhere on the property without us knowing......they were happy farm dogs

Now would I have that many outside dogs? No, I prefer to spend time with my dogs inside, but my gsd would have no objection to being outside all the time......I just am not a fan of cold...in the summer me and the dogs are outside most the time........

He's still a PITA, (herding breeds, mostly, with some rat terrorist in there for some devious destruct-o-dog brain waves) & laughs at my inventions to keep him contained in the yard.

Plus he's still a puppy. I know to "never say never," but I'll never have another puppy (like under 3 years old) again! Mine was lucky to survive.

There is nothing wrong with an outside dog. We leave ours out all day long..but bring them in at night. They have large wooden Houses...both are big enough for multiple dogs in them. They are sealed so air can't go through the walls...sawdust on the bottom on the ground and STRAW in the house. It insultes better than any blanket you can give them since blankets absorb moisture and freezes in a clump. Straw wicks away moisture caused by frost and drys out.

I do have to agree that some breeds with single coats like boxers or small non hairy dogs should not be outside. I did leave my poms outside when I had them since they have the coats to keep them warm.They are tougher then people give them credit for..

We had an outside dog that was not happy indoors at all....except just to visit. He had a house and lots of hay stuffed in there. He was golden lab and Malamute, and had very good, thick hair in the winter. We had another dog at the same time, a black lab/cocker spaniel cross. We brought her in at night when it was very cold.

My dog is Shiba Inu/American Eskimoxmutt and loves it outside. He is going crazy being inside. Luckily for me,im moving soon and will have a fenced yard for him. Im also going to take a Sbeltie with me when I move. And my cat,who is also outside.

It really depends on where you live and what breed you have. A lot of dogs do much better being outside most of the time. I think that usually bringing them inside is for us, not for them. Not that that's a bad thing in any way. And of course they need good food, water and shelter.

I have 2 small terrier mixes, and they thrive outside all the time. In fact when its super cold out, they are so hyper and happy and they love it. They have several straw filled houses, that sometimes they share and sometimes they don't. They also have a heated water bowl in the winter.

Chessa hates being inside. She gets scared and very claustrophobic, and sits by the door. She's scared of reclining chairs,trash bags,the fridge, hardwood floors,sudden movements, but outside she's not scared of anything. She loves to run in the rain and roll in the snow and sleeps out of her doghouse unless it's really cold or rainy. It would be unfair to her to make her be inside.

IME it really does depend on the dog itself. Some dogs do prefer to be outside. While others prefer to be inside couch potatoes. I've never had a dog that preferred to be outside. They just wanted to be with the family regardless of where we were at. If we went out, they wanted to come out.

I've personally never been fond of keeping them on chains simply because all of the dogs I have been exposed to that were kept like that were starved for attention and lived that way 24/7. These were dogs that were obtained as cute puppies for the kids then virtually ignored other than feeding and watering once the newness wore off. I've never understood why someone would want an animal and then just ignore it.

I will chime in as I do live in IL, and if you have a neighbor that will complain about a dog being out for longer than 15 min ( dosent matter the coat) the police will come out and do a warning and then fine. My friend had a pyrenese out for an hour in her yard and was fined.

I have foo foo show dogs, in winter I shovel a path through the snow for them to potty (No joke) and have to pry them from under the covers to go out. Even when we had big dogs, they were indoor dogs who had access to a fenced yard 24/7 via the dog door. None had ever prefered being outside. Dalmations, Labs, German Shepherds, Boston Terriers, Mutts... Years ago we did keep out dogs outside (when we had large breed dogs) and I can remember although we spent time with them daily, they always acted starved for attention. One thing I hate is seeing outside dogs whos owners only see them long enough to toss them food once a day and fill their water bucket. At that point, why bother having a dog (Not counting LGD, which their purpose directly involves living outside with the livestock) I have chihuahuas now, half the time in winter they shiver inside the house where its 68-70 degrees. Theres no way in my area you could possibly keep one outside, despite the best dog box. In summer, some will have breathing issues with high humidity and heat, again a no go on them living outside, in my area atleast.

My APBT's each have a (*gasp*) chain spot outside with insulated dog houses and plenty of room to move. If it gets really cold I bring them in. Other wise its just my preference. Sometimes my Lily is on her chain and Manic is allowed to be alone on the couch. Sometimes they all stay out, sometimes they all stay in. If we're gone I usually put the younger dogs out and keep Lily in to keep an eye on things.

My chi stays in all the time. Like your dogs Jag you have to peel her out from under the covers to go potty. She is the naughtiest dog ever!

Speaking of "designer" breeds I have a funny story. A few years back some friends of ours who breed Bulldogs had one of their best ******* get accidentally covered by a German Shepherd. Of course she had 14 healthy puppies. They didn't know what they were going to do with them. They advertised them on the internet as "Idaho Warriors" and got a grand a piece for every one of them! A totally made up "breed". People will pay a lot of money for a name .. ill tell ya. I personally don't like to cross breed but that being said I used to cross my miniature poodle with a tiny Maltese male. It was a great cross.

I honestly feel worse for dogs in extreme heat than I do in the winter.

All our dogs are outside dogs, the ONLY time I bring them in is if the temp is below 0 for a few min to defrost paws and drink lukewarm water but they dont stay in for more than 10 min. They have thick fur and shelter to get out of the weather, they also have been know to sleep up in the covered hay stacks. They have outside water available at all times and abundant food. I also keep a pretty good eye on them. In my opinion inside dogs often times suffer more than outside dogs.

Very true, Kina, he will be 2 in May. (He's still staying outside til it warms up enough to wash the skunk off him..... again!) :sick:

Natures Miracle Skunk its great and actually works (I have to buy it in the gallon container)