Sign in to follow this  
marsbar21702

Feed Bag Totes

To those who are interested in bags, I have a huge swap meet coming up on the 2nd of February that I'm making inventory for right now. I will lay out the bags I haven't made yet this weekend and post pictures, ya'll can call dibs on the ones you want and i'll set them aside for you and create the bags after the 2nd. I have a BUNCH of different horse feeds and a bunch of chicken feed bags too.

Yay!

Bumping this up again. I have a ton made from the sale and the weather was dicey so I didn't do great.

The yellow horse feed bags I am out of, I thought I would have a bunch because we feed it, but this last batch we got had some kind of sticky crap on the bags that didn't wash off very well...hopefully next time we buy its better. I have other brightly colors bags though.

Omolene 500 - 1

Senior Horse - 2

Sweet Feed - 3

Dumor Equistages - 3

Safe Choice - 2 (feed it so can make more)

Horseman's Edge - 5 (bright green if you're looking for something that stands out)

Lt Blue Layena Poultry - 2 (also have more)

Dumor Poultry - 2 made, have more

I've actually just started making these too. I've only done one completely (Enrich 32) and am in the midst of a second that I'm doing a fabric trim & handles (Calf starter....its pretty darn cute). Unfortunately I'm having sewing machine issues and am beyond frustrated with the machine. So time to step away......

I've actually just started making these too. I've only done one completely (Enrich 32) and am in the midst of a second that I'm doing a fabric trim & handles (Calf starter....its pretty darn cute). Unfortunately I'm having sewing machine issues and am beyond frustrated with the machine. So time to step away......

Oh I feel your pain! A regular needle and poly blend thread worked my issues out. And making sure I clean my machine regularly with the vacuum and a computer cleaning attachment.

Someone suggested a ball point needle so I picked some up... Broke 2 within the first 10 stitches. Regular points it is.

A local rescue is making these bags as a way to raise money for rehabbing and "rescuing" horses. They are selling them for $12 for the first bag, and $10 for each additional bag with free shipping. I am saving up my bags, debating whether I want to make my own or give them to someone to make some, then buy them. Their price seems a bit steeper than yours though.

Ok, so I did make one today! :yay:

Used a Standlee Alf pellets bag I followed the directions and after completeing the square bottom I do see what you mean about using the natural lay of the bag. However ironic one of my straps ended up with "Easy Open " across it. (didnt even think about it at the time. Thank you so much for the info and your instructions, both my girls had fun helping me and I enjoyed making something I will truely use. The girls want to make lunch sacks out of the same feed bags so now im going to try it on a smaller scale. We'll see how it goes!

Mars - I sent you a message back that I do want some of these. Do you have pictures of the ones you have available?

So I have a bunch of bags.... enrich 32, adm junior glo and healthy glo and the stay strong mineral pellet. Maybe some primeglo ones too?. however they were folded not following the lines.. I'd be happy to mail them all to you and pay shipping in exchange for A bag or 2?

Tomorrow when I get done with work I can count how many I have and let you know.

Mars, need to resurrect this old thread to ask you a question, please. My machine doesn't like the slick plastic. Any suggestions? I am using the pig feed plastic bags and cracked corn bags. Any suggestions? The machine is a Brother. My singer featherweight got wet and isn't working.

Long stitches, about 8 to the inch, poly-wrapped cotton thread and a #14 needle. NOT a ball-point needle.

What do you mean when you say your machine doesn't like it? Skipped stitches, binding, bunching, what?

When I sew moody/problematic plastic, I use a Teflon foot and a wedge point needle (leather needle), with whatever thread I have handy- my machine isn't picky about thread. If that doesn't do it, grab a newspaper or tissue paper, and put a sheet under the plastic. Tear it off when you're done sewing. Dont make your stitches too long if you use paper, that makes it harder to remove, and more likely that you'll break your thread when doing so.

There are some other things that can go wrong w/ plastics, but that should fix most problems.

They've already given you better advice than I! Double check your needle type and thread.

Wind a new bobbin.

Re thread from the beginning (I also do this whenever my needle comes unthreaded).

Find a denim scrap and sew on it to set your tensions and stitch length.

The machine won't feed the plastic through. I end up having to pull it through so the stitches are uneven. Will try the tissue paper/newspaper and see if that helps.

Thank you, Ladies!

But it's fine when you use regular fabric? The paper should work!

You should also check to make sure your feed dogs are clean.. sometimes if there's lint/dust or thread scraps tangled around them, they won't move right, and then what you're sewing won't move right either. That can lead to a breakdown too, so make sure they're clean.

Aaand... Just because I totally took a machine into the shop once because of this (in my defense, it was new to me and came from a different planet than the husqvarna's I've been using most of this decade)... Make sure those feed dogs haven't been manually lowered. They really really don't work well when they're not up. Heehee.

My feed dogs aren't crazy about it either and I do have to help the machine some. Not pull so much as make sure I keep light pressure on the material and keep it tight.

Thanks, Mars, will check them. This is my granddaughter's machine. We had a water leak and I didn't realize the water got under the case for my machine. It got wet and is not repairable. That old Singer Featherweight would sew anything anytime!

I've got my 3 bags and LOVE them. Actually am using one now as my gym bag! People in my yoga studio look at me funny tho... :)

And a friend at the barn is saving up bags and I'll be sending them to you to make as well!!! Too bad I am incapable of sewing (and I don't have a sewing machine) I could make these for everyone!

Edited by farah

Mars, do you have a walking foot? Give that a try. Mz rat, you could try that too, if you still have problems after you add paper. Walking foot moves the material from the top, working with the feed dogs on the bottom. And if you need the ultimate combo, do tissue between material and feed dogs and between material and the walking foot. That adds quite a bit of work, but it'd do it. I've only gone to that length once, when I was working with heavy clear plastic (tablecloth cover type stuff)- that was slick on one side and kinda grippy on the other. The end result wasn't cool though to fight with that material again though..

Eta: most walking feet make quite the racket. They're pretty obnoxious like that, definitely no good for midnight sewing unless you live alone.

Edited by ***ThreeStarsCorc***

Thanks, Mars, will check them. This is my granddaughter's machine. We had a water leak and I didn't realize the water got under the case for my machine. It got wet and is not repairable. That old Singer Featherweight would sew anything anytime!

A Featherweight is worth refurbishing. They are collectors items now.

Thanks for the tip about the walking foot...

Noticed this afternoon while working on some that as soon as I changed my needle the material was moving through much better, need to swap needles more often.

Will have to see if I can get a walking foot for her machine. Will look while I am in Houston next week.

I know the Featherweight is worth re-furbishing. It is just finding someone to work on it!