Sign in to follow this  
WalkTrotCanter

Help Managing Horse On Sand...

My pony has been on sand for years due to her laminitis...I imagine most horses do injest quite a bit of sand over the course of their life just from grazing but I sent her manure in for a worm testing, she doesnt have any worms and is all clean and good in that department but the vet reported she has mild to moderate sand and should be put on a sand clear type regimen...Does sand clear really work? I just look at the little grain pellets and have a hard time seeing how that could clear out sand? Is there another method I should try that is more accurate? Any thoughts on dealing with sand?

Other than either surgical "dumping" of the gut or nasogastric tubing with vast quantities of mineral oil, its about the only option we have. Obviously, prevention is the key and feeding on mats or out of elevated nets would be recommended.

Oh my, thats terrible. I do feed with a hay net on mats but she likes to nibble the grasses that grow up in the sand and around the fence line where there is loose sand. I guess years of doing that in the summer months have added up. Just cant believe it. Shes shown no signs of colic yet and shes about 15, but the vets sound concerned so its deffinitely something I would like to help her with. I've taken the manure to my personal vet numorous times but they've never caught the sand or tape worms that had almost killed her so I switched over to a vet that uses different testing tecniques and theyve been great, and they are the first ones to mention the sand concern, thankfully, I would never had known if they hadnt. Now i'll have to think of way to keep her from continuously adding sand to her intestine...matting the entire paddock may help, but wouldnt make sense financially, I suppose adding a few mats a month eventually we would get there. Oh horses, the joys...

Thank you for your feedback :)

july20107.jpg

july202012173.jpg

Edited by WalkTrotCanter

I live in Florida and everything is very sandy. We have always use generic Metamucil for sand and have never had an issue. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself!). We feed about a 2oz scoop twice a week. It works for us. Good luck with yours!

We tried generic metemucil after we had a horse sand colic mildly and our horses wouldnt eat it. We ended up putting them on sand rid and it def helped, plus feeding them on mats or in a wooden box.

Is there anyway you can get a rototiller type thing (sorry, not too familiar with lawn equipment lol) and till her pasture and the sides where she has access to? You may have to do it often to keep the grass away...but if you are going to dry lot her, it is best to not have any grass at all- those little grasses poking up can be a killer.

There is a horse at the barn that I talked about on here. Vet and owners swore up and down that it was "colitis" as the horse had ongoing liquid diarehha for months. Horse finally went down about a month or so ago, vet had to tube him and his poop has been great ever since. He has had some bouts because they refuse to feed him twice a day and refuse to give him any sand prevention, so, it is only a matter of time before it happens again, but some horses cannot tolerate living in a small sandy paddock while others can. Although, I think most of their problems are from management issues.

The best thing to remove sand out of the stomach is hay. Hay pushes it out and if you feed adequate hay, along with getting the little grass out of her reach, she should be fine.

However, since she already has sand accumulation, I would definitely go with a HORSE GRADE sand clearing product. All the sand clearing product is, is psyllium fiber. No matter what consistancy it comes in, pellet, powder, etc., it gels up and helps to push the sand out. I know many will say it does not work but when I had my TWH, if she didn't get it once a month, she would start having diarehha. As soon as she got the full treatment for the seven days, she stopped having diarehha.

Notice I said HORSE GRADE. I know many people who swear by Metamucil and do not have a problem. But that doesn't mean anything. It could be the hay doing it's job. Metamucil is HUMAN grade. We are 100-200 lb. creatures. Horses are 1,000 plus lb. creatures. They need all the psyllium fiber that a horse grade product provides. Do not use Sand Blast however, it does not work...it doesn't even have psyllium fiber the last time I looked. The best one you can buy is Sand Clear. If you go to Tractor Supply, Dumor makes one that is 10 bucks cheaper and it actually has a bit more psyllium fiber in it.

If you feed Metamucil, vrs. the Sand Clear...I do not think you will see results. I and another board member, on another board, did the math calculations on how much psyllium fiber is in a treatment of Metamucil vrs. the Sandclear... psyllium fiber in the Metamucil treatment for a horse was in the low hundreds if I remember right...whereas the psyllium fiber in the Sand Clear was in the high thousands. If you were to purchase enough Metamucil to feed to your horse, to equate to that of the psyllium fiber in the horse product, you might as well just purchase the horse product because you wouldn't be saving any money.

Sorry for the novel. I will try to go back and find the exact amounts in each product. I do live in FL, so, I am very familiar with these issues. I have had five different horses over the past five years, as well as helping with other fellow boarder's horses, so, I have been there, done that so to speak.

Good luck with your mare!

Here's the math we did a few years back on the Metamucil vrs. Sand Clear:

METAMUCIL:

Active Ingredient (in each TABLESPOON)

Psyllium Husk, Approximately 3.4 g

http://www.metamucil.com/metamucil-orange.php#4

Now compare that to Sand Clear:

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients per 5 ox.:

Psyllium Husk: 141,270 mg

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_library_...ae5&showText=1

"141,270 mg = 141.2 g

So...the Sand Clear has about 50 times MORE psyllium husk than the Metamucil does. WOW. So about a teaspoon of Sand Clear has as much psyllium husk as a cup of Metamucil.

How about that. If I'd been using Metamucil (or the Wal Mart knockoff) I'd feel like I'd been doing absolutely NO good and wasting my money.

And even at that, the study by the university of Florida showed that adequate forage works better than psyllium products."

So, with that being said, I would recommend treating her with the Sand Clear, removing all grass and maybe even providing 24/7 hay for her to nibble on.

Blondy- my vet after we had the horse mild colic due to sand told us to feed a cup a day if we were using metamucil. The horses HATED it and wouldnt eat it. We split it into 2 feedings and they wouldnt touch it. Will eat sand-rid and sand clear with out an issue.

My horses love the stuff! All 4 of them. And we use the sugar free orange flavored. It may well be the hay, even though it is coastal. But...if it works......I will continue with it. I have friends who started using beet pulp for sand prevention. They felt the same way about their method. Whatever works for your situation. I have recently been researching stuff to help my filly with her terrible skin issues. I tried Chia Seeds for a while and one of the added benefits is sand clearing properties. I might go back to it after trying a few things but it is kind of pricey.

Here's the math we did a few years back on the Metamucil vrs. Sand Clear:

METAMUCIL:

Active Ingredient (in each TABLESPOON)

http://www.metamucil...il-orange.php#4

Now compare that to Sand Clear:

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients per 5 ox.:

Psyllium Husk: 141,270 mg

http://www.valleyvet....ae5&showText=1

"141,270 mg = 141.2 g

So...the Sand Clear has about 50 times MORE psyllium husk than the Metamucil does. WOW. So about a teaspoon of Sand Clear has as much psyllium husk as a cup of Metamucil.

You are talking apples and oranges; they are both fruit, but that's where the similarity ends. You need to compare EQUAL volumes or EQUAL weights. Not weight for one and volume for the other. Also you need to look at comparable items; not a sugar laden, watered down product to a 'purer' product. Such as your sand clear to the plain, coarse fiber metamucil

http://www.valleyvet...92-00b0d0204ae5

Manufacture's label/content:

http://valleyvet.nac...msds&id=1000035

SANDCLEAR™

Farnam

Apple/Molasses Flavor

NATURAL PSYLLIUM CRUMBLES

For All Classes of Horses

VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED

National Animal Supplement Council

THE BENCHMARK OF QUALITY™

FOR ANIMAL USE ONLY

Active Ingredient per 5 oz:

Psyllium Husk

102,250 mg

Inactive Ingredients:

Artificial flavors, mineral oil, natural flavors, propionic acid

http://www.metamucil...inal-coarse.php

Metamucil Original Coarse

Fiber Supplement Powder Ingredients

Sucrose, Psyllium Husk

Active Ingredient (in each TEASPOON)

ASSUMING that the sand clear measurement is VOLUME and not weight; i.e 5 fluid oz. There are 6 TEASPOONS to an ounce (3.4g x 6 = 20.4g/oz) and you are feeding 5 oz (20.4g/oz x 5 oz = 102g of Psyllium per the same feeding as Sand Clear. Which if you look at the Sand Clear I found on Valley Vet and has 102.25g of Psyllium per feeding.

At this point I would go with whichever was cheaper, if I used such a product which hasn't really been proven to do a darn thing more than just feeding forage does.

Yes, I DO live in a sand plagued environment and NO I don't feed Psyllium, as there is no clinical/scientific proof that it does more that slide through the gut in a stringy mass over the top of any sand present.

Edited by Quartermutt

^yeah definitely put her on a couple purge doses of sand clear or other. None of my horses enjoy any of them, but when I lived in sandy places I would do it monthly.

They recommend doing one bigger dose rather than daily.

I think it works, or better than not doing it.

My boy won't eat sand clear, but is pretty good about the Metamucil - if we don't rush him. He'll eat his grain, then his hay, and then go back and eat the Metamucil. His poo gets watery if he doesn't have a 1 week course of it once a month and that keeps him regular. Per my vet I feed 3 tablespoons once a day for the first week of each month.