Sign in to follow this  
JetdecksComet

Oakley's Breeding Thread (Aka Ai For A Noob)

Well, howdy there! Thanks for taking the time to open up this thread. I'm hoping you'll stick with me throughout this journey as I wade into the unknown (to me) depths of Artificial Insemination. As you've probably already gathered, this is a work in progress. I will be updating this post as I go through the process of AI for the very first time.

The mare I'm breeding is named Spot Ya Dealing Dirty (aka Oakley) and will be bred to the stallion Gentlemen Send Roses (aka Gus)

(Click the links to see their pedigrees.)

They are both Paint horses. Both are tobianos according to the APHA, but are actually toveros genetically. Gus is tested negative for HERDA, OLWS, GBED, and EVA. My mare has not been tested for any of those things, but I am not worried, since Gus is negative. Gus is also homozygous for tobiano, so we are guaranteed a tobiano foal, and could possibly have a homozygous tobiano foal. We are hoping for a filly to keep and show. If we have a colt, it will be for sale, but we are still planning on training and showing it until it sells.

I don't have too many photos of my mare Oakley uploaded right now. This will have to do for now:

973319.jpg

If you want to see Gus, you'll have to visit his website:

Gentlemen Send Roses

Thanks for stopping by!

Update: Waiting on vet to call back to see what the prices are for boarding, ultrasounding, & inseminating. I have already gotten a quote from a farm that handles these sorts of things, but some horse owning friends recommened this vet. Considering these are the same horse owning friends that will be hauling my mare (did I mention that I don't own a trailer, lmao) I think I will take their advice. The farm I contacted is about 2.5 hours away and this vet is only about 30 minutes.

I live in an area where there are no large animal vets that are willing to take new customers. The only ones around here are old and getting ready to retire and will not take new clients. (I've seen them work on other people's horses and I'm glad they won't work on ours. lol)

Congrats on the upcoming journey/foal. I just went through this and now am awaiting my foal. It's a great idea to get professional help when doing AI. I believe it saved me a ton of money in the long run as my mare was covered on the first shipment. I love Gus! He puts some amazing babies on the ground. He was on my very short list of stallions.

Yay, a reply! Thanks, I was wondering if anyone visited this board!

I'm glad your AI experience went well. I hope for such good results from mine.

Who is your mare and who did you breed to? Also, what other stallions were on your very short list? I'm always interested to know what bloodlines people favor and what crosses they make.

This is my mare KayCee: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/kaycees+playmate

kayee.jpg

20111001_3904-1.jpg

I bred her to The Ultimate Fancy: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/the+ultimate+fancy

http://theultimatefancy.com/

Since she is AQHA I went with a AQHA/APHA stallion to get a double registered possible triple registered foal. I also considered HBF Iron Man and Frozen Assets. With Zippo Pine Bar so close on her papers that really limited my selection. If this foal turns out well I think I will breed to GSR in the future as he was just added to our MN futurity. I love that he is homozygous, its hard to find in a quality WP stallion.

Awesome! Don't you love Dana Crager? Tuf is gorgeous and is a future potential stallion for my homozygous tobiano mare. Actually, I'm thinking of taking my mare to Dana's to have her bred, if I can get my hauler to go that far!

When is your mare due? I can't wait to see the foal! I got to see a lot of Tuf's get competing at the Paint show in Frankfort last Oct. and they were all gorgeous & competitive!

Dana has been wonderful to work with. She seems to love what she's doing and cares about all the foals and the owners. KayCee is due the 11the of April. She is having her final ultrasound and EHv-4 shot on Monday and I'll start a foal watch shortly after that. I am desperately hoping for a filly with 4 stockings and a blaze. Looking at his past foals I have a pretty good shot. I bought my breeding through the Tom Powers Futurity, something you may want to consider to offset some of the cost.

Yeah, cost was definitely a factor. I ended up getting a good deal on Gus' breeding by buying it off of a person who decided not to use it. When I showed my boyfriend how cheap the resale breeding was, he said "call them and book it right now!" lol We've been watching Gus' breeding fee go up over the last few years... with no chance of affording it because we were building a house. Now the house is done, thank goodness!

Crossing my fingers for a chromed-out filly for you!

I am keeping an eye on this thread so that I can see that baby. Hope you get a loud filly with great conformation.

Update:

Finally talked to the vet... she seems concerned that my mare is a 14-year-old maiden. Now I've got that to worry about. She was happy to hear the mare had a breeding soundness exam last year and a clean culture. She is talking about keeping her on regumate to ensure she doesn't slip in the first few months. Sounds like my bill is going up before I even start! lol Just my luck.

I am thinking of taking her in April because I definitely don't want a February foal. March is iffy around here weather-wise, but I figure that it will give us some time just in case it doesn't work out on the first try. I am going to check out the facility sometime before then.

Ok, we're going for our first appointment on Wednesday. We will be doing a culture and checking to see where she's at in her cycle. I think we just missed her, judging by her behavior changes, but that can't be helped because we were out of town for a week and when we got back it seemed like she was in heat and it was too late at that point. The vet assistant said we could short cycle her. We shall see.

We had a trailer loading lesson on Tuesday because my mare hasn't loaded in a ramp trailer before (to my knowlegdge.) It didn't take her too long to get in, and Wednesday's loading and ride went fine!

We checked her and were unable to determine if she's just coming in or just going out. We're leaning toward just coming in now, because she had a discharge today that she hasn't had before and she is showing signs of heat. She will be staying at the vet for the next couple of days. She is stalled near and will have the honor of being teased by Donnerkeil, an aged Hanoverian stallion, who was sweet-talking her as we left. We'll know more tomorrow.

We did a culture, but since we need to know ASAP in case of ovulation in the next few days, I had to drive the sample to the lab at Hagyard in Lexington. So it's been a long day!

On the AI side of things, we contacted the stallion owners and put them on alert that we may need semen for Sunday or Monday, because if she's coming in, then that's when the vet thinks she will ovulate. Now, our SOs collect on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only. So if it looks like she will be ready on Sun, then we will order semen on Fri, have it FedExed overnight and inseminate her on Saturday. If it looks like Monday's the better day, then we will actually have the semen flown into the airport on Monday.

I'll update again when I know more. :)

Ok, the follicle is growing, so that means she's coming in heat. Still acting neutrally toward the stallion on site, will be teased again tomorrow and checked again on Saturday. No test results back yet, but the vet says no news is good news in this case.

Today's update:

Oakley had an ultrasound today which showed two good follicles coming on. The vet says she'll be ready for Tuesday, so I am ordering the semen today. It will be shipped FedEx and will arrive on Tuesday. Everything seems to be going so well, let's hope FedEx doesn't lose the shipment! lol

I went to visit Oakley yesterday. She was in raging heat, lol. Poor thing. She really has learned to dislike the stocks, so I gave her a nice lesson with them. Walking her through over and over, stopping her inside and scratching her favorite spots, and locking her in and feeding her grain. Hopefully she will be a little better for the vet today when they ask her to go in. The last two times they had to sedate her just to get her in them.

The semen arrived at the vet about 5 minutes ago, so they will check it to make sure it's good and if so, they will be inseminating her. She should be able to come home today!

Thanks Quarters4me! My old QH gelding sure was missing her!

Oakley has been inseminated and is home and comfy in the paddock with her two best buds. We will be taking her back for a pregnancy check in about two weeks. Unfortunately, that's right around Ky Derby time and everything around here gets crazy, so we will have to work around that.

While she was there she got her vaccinations and was checked via fecal egg count for worms... which was negative. When I take her back, I will be taking samples from my other two horses to see if we have any high shedders. Oakley will also be getting her teeth checked at that time.

Tonight and twice tomorrow I have to give her shots of oxitocin to clear some fluid out of her uterus. Then I will be simply crossing my fingers and hoping to see an embryo in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and our lesson in the stocks did the trick, as she went right in for the vet today with no refusal or rearing OR sedation! As far as loading up to go home, she had one little balk in front of the trailer, but I gave her a little pop on the shoulder with the lead line and told her I was serious about her going in and she complied. lol

That's real good to hear she is doing good and being a good girl, hope in a few weeks you find out she is preggers, i'll be watching :happy0203:

Oakley is going in on Friday at 10 am to check and see if she's pregnant! I will take it that as a good omen because Friday is Ky Oaks day, and I was told that Oakley got her name because she herself was born on Ky Oaks day.

We have a round black blob! (Which I am told is a foal-in-the-making.) And only one... no twins. Awesome! But...

We also have a very active ovary with a large follicle that is going to need to be stopped before it causes her to slip her pregnancy. So, we do have to use the regumate and will be going back on the 15th to check for a fetal heartbeat.

But, in the meantime... Yay!

Congratulations on your blob!!

I hate to say though, but the advice on the Regumate is flat out wrong!! It is NORMAL for follicles to continue to develop and are critical in the production of natural progesterone. Secondary follicles will develop, leutinize without ovulating as a persistant source of progesterone.

Edited by cvm2002

Yes, I got the same advice on another board. I asked the vet again and the regumate was recommended based on poor uterine tone, not what I said earlier. I had mixed up different bits of information that I heard during the ultrasound. The hormone tests came back low, so it was a good thing we had her on it. Today we saw the heartbeat, it was amazing.

Edited by JetdecksComet