Sign in to follow this  
llbperformancehorses

Lutalyse

I have a mare that is cycling the first of the month. The stallion I have booked doesnt start shipping until mid March. I have been doing some reading on Lutalyse. Giving .2 CC for two days. Have any of you used this? Thoughts on it?

When using shipped semen, Lutalyse and other hormonal manipulation is almost a necessity. What are you looking to acheive with it? IF she's cycling now and he doesn't ship until March, you aren't going to gain anything by using it now. Using it to time to shipping schedules however helps immensely.

That's what I am looking to do. Find out the exact date they start shipping and have her as close to as ready to breed on that date. I know that it can vary slightly from mare to mare, but I am looking to get my mare ready to breed as soon as they will start shipping.

Last year for my AI, My mare had a baby by her side so her 30 cycle was easy to predict and I knew exactly when to get her to the vet and the semen shipped. But since this mare isnt in foal for this year, I want to breed her as soon as they will start shipping.

Has she been under lights? If not, getting her cycling and ready to go by mid-February (traditional start of the manmade breeding season) is going to be tough. There is a protocol using about 10 days of Regumate, followed by Lutalyse to get them out of transitional cycles earlier. I personally would NEVER recommend breeding on the first active cycle though, since you really don't know if she's going to ovulate or if its still a transitional cycle. I've used 0.2CC of ESTRUMATE, but not Lutalyse. Will probably still work....