Sign in to follow this  
nick

Where Are You Right Now On The Training Scale?

i thought it might be fun to exchange posts about where we're all at on the training scale right now. (because there are days where i feel like i'm stuck :blink: ). i have an 8 year old lusitan gelding that i got a year and a half ago but promptly broke my ankle three weeks after he arrived (complications with the way titanium plate was installed delayed my recovery for a total of nine months) so only started really getting to know each other in september of 2012.

we're doing nicely with rhythm, relaxation and contact and now i'm going for impulsion. only trouble is is that he's SO relaxed (also with contact, stretching long and low), that it's proving to be a little difficult to suggest he should get a little "torqued up" haha.

he's like this with cows too. he WILL get bossy with a cow that is being uncooperative, but as soon as the job is done it's like a switch has been flipped and he goes back to dum-dee-dum. don't get me wrong--i've had nothing BUT hot horses my whole life so i SO MUCH appreciate that this horse just doesn't get upset, but i would like to find the "up", or in basketball terms "hangtime" button. the good news is that i'm not in any hurry, and it's fun looking :smilie: .

how are you doing?

I don't do "dressage" myself, but have friends who do, so I read some of ya'll threads.

Thought I might suggest some other cowboy manuveres to help with your "hangtime"

Might get him all hot and bothered though. :confused0024: Or might just keep him thinkin'.

I don't do "dressage" myself, but have friends who do, so I read some of ya'll threads.

Thought I might suggest some other cowboy manuveres to help with your "hangtime"

Might get him all hot and bothered though. :confused0024: Or might just keep him thinkin'.

man absolutely!! our trainer (total classical dressage trainer) has us doing rollbacks, we listen to country music. she LOVES it!! thank you for replying! she has become a HUGE fan of our wonderful horsemanship trainers (unfortunately tom dorrance et. al have passed away).

With Cash contact and impullion. She tends to be a bit lazy and I am so not used to that. Contact is there but she is fussy when you ask her to bring her head up. She is your low headset typical Qn. Poll slightly above the withers. Needs a lot of leg suppport to keep fer forward and a more up frame.

With Cheese it depends on the day. I have her on a joint supplement now and she feels good again. However the weather has gotten cold. Lucky if I get to ride once a week. So a lot of focusing on relaxing. Sometimes contact on our good days and that is if I am riding correctly. If I am not Cheese doesn't believe she has to work. Sooner or later she will teach me to ride correctly.lol

i hear you about the weather. for 13 years with no indoor i rode in whatever weather nature threw at me. we moved to our current barn six years ago, and four years ago an indoor arena (really nice--great footing) was built, and i feel sooooo pampered being able to ride in comfort despite the howling blizzard outside.

one thing we're doing to achieve some impulsion is slowing everything down, so the horse almost has to go *up and forward* (hangtime). i have to be careful about this and not compromise the quality of contact, so once he finds his frame i have to be diligent about not disturbing it with hands and seat. riding lots of patterns, (circles, clover leafs, serpentines) consistently really helps to maintain the relaxation if done consistently and precisely (as possible haha).

chasing zebu cattle once a week helps too :rotf: .

had a lovely lesson today until the overhead sprinklers went on, and then we were SOAKED . AND cold. :wacko: . BO was very apologetic :lol: .

Kind of jealous you get to chase cattle. There is a cutting horse place near me but the one time I was there for a competitive trail thing Cheese up. BO suggested bitting her up in a curb. Kind of turned me away from the place. Used to play tag on horseback. Cheese loved chasing the other horses down. She would probably love working cattle.

The sprinkler sytem turning on must have been an interesting way to end a lesson.

that's a shame about you having a negative experience at that cutting horse place. i just started doing this last year after finally being able to ride again at our trainer's suggestion. she said it gives all this (from the horse's standpoint) dressage silliness a purpose. the transformation is remarkable when you start seeing the quality of the different maneuvers *travers*, *renvers*, turn on the haunches (rollbacks) and just the overall difference in work ethic. (probably because it's FUN!).

if you ever get another chance i'd go for it. you might see a change in cheese's attitude, and as far as i'm concerned YOUR horse, YOUR choice of bits. my husband rides in a rope hackamore (very laidback warmblood) and everyone else is in a double broken snaffle including the trainer's 8 year old lusitano stallion who comes from the bull ring. this is ALL about the horse reacting off your seat and legs. you use your reins too much and the horse gets his body in the wrong position? that cow is GONE. that's also why i like it so much--the cows (and not a human) are the best judge of how you're doing.

yes it was an interesting end to the lesson. there i was--basking in the afterglow-- and then the rude reminder not to get too complacent :ashamed0002: .

Ugh...I feel like we're nowhere. Haven't been able to get Mosely back to her awesomeness of 2009. We *had* it all, were schooling 3rd and playing around with piaffe and canter piroutte and tempi changes - just because we could.

Noooow? I can't even got contact with relaxation. I can rarely get relaxation in the ring. I've basically just written her off as a dressage horse....but probably the fact that I don't find horses fun anymore is having something to do with our funk. I still like HER...just not other horses...lol

how about doing something else then? ever played stick and ball? soccer? any cows in the neigborhood? my horse was very "shy" when we started actually doing stuff together last september. doing stuff that promoted him coming out of his shell and getting *proud* really changed both of us.

circus tricks can be fun too like teaching them to stand on a pedestal. changing it up (the ol' cross training thing) can really help with everybody's attitude. with what you've gone through lately you might be experiencing a wee bit of the "burn-out". if your heart isn't in what you're doing you can't really expect hers to be either. go do something FUN girl!

but if you still want to stick with it that's what is so great about the training scale--just like a piano keyboard you can go up or down, so how about if you go all the way back to rhythm? (rhythm, relaxation, contact, impulsion, straightness, collection--in that order. there's a REASON for it too).

oh heck I haven't tried doing any dressage with her since Oct, probably. We've just been trail riding and playing hunter in the arena. Played around with tempi changes the other day, because that is one thing she likes.

I haven't even had an English saddle on her in weeks...lol. I like my western a lot, lately.

then go play with cows. i know, i know, it's not that easy to find. we're lucky we have 30 resident wild and wooly zebus who keep producing new zebus. we're the only place in all of bavaria (size of texas).

I agree with Nick. Don't know where you are at but winter has been cold this year. Kind of hard to convince myself to do any work. I have been mixing up some bareback riding or some crossrails if we get a warm day and the footing is good. Trying not to get in a funk. I also do a bit of groundwork. I like Cheese to follow shoulder cues. Helps when there is a beginner or a little kid on her back. I don't have to lead and it encourages confidence in the rider.So go play.

Kind of in a funk myself. Lost another trainer. She had a second kid and lost her babysitter. So now on a rtainer hunt again. Stil planning to clinic with Ulf when he comes out. The problem I have is my main show is in May. Uld doesn;t start coming out until May. So that means one clinic before a show. so trying to stay motivated and screw up to bad.

While I wouldn't mind moving my horse to a curb when ready the reasoning they cutting trainer gave was for more control. I view more as a training thing. Cheese still gets hot off property. We have good moments and it is a work in progress.

she's skerd of cows...lol

We spent a lot of the summer jumping, attempting to get back to some dressage stuff, and riding the range. Every time we got near the cows she demonstrated some very lovely rollbacks and would run away. lol

We herded horses a lot - she's good with that. And great at ponying. Would make a nice ranch horse, as long as it was a horse ranch. hahah

I agree with Nick. Don't know where you are at but winter has been cold this year. Kind of hard to convince myself to do any work. I have been mixing up some bareback riding or some crossrails if we get a warm day and the footing is good. Trying not to get in a funk. I also do a bit of groundwork. I like Cheese to follow shoulder cues. Helps when there is a beginner or a little kid on her back. I don't have to lead and it encourages confidence in the rider.So go play.

Kind of in a funk myself. Lost another trainer. She had a second kid and lost her babysitter. So now on a rtainer hunt again. Stil planning to clinic with Ulf when he comes out. The problem I have is my main show is in May. Uld doesn;t start coming out until May. So that means one clinic before a show. so trying to stay motivated and screw up to bad.

While I wouldn't mind moving my horse to a curb when ready the reasoning they cutting trainer gave was for more control. I view more as a training thing. Cheese still gets hot off property. We have good moments and it is a work in progress.

eeww. more control with a curb with a horse like cheese. oy vey! this trainer apparently knows NOTING ( the h is missing on purpose) about a horse like cheese and NOTING about controlling the horse's body. (or cows). our trainer can direct a cow between two pylons, then down a straight line, drive it around an arena and put it in the round pen with NO REINS. she can also cut, sort, and drive a bunch or zebus through an obstacle couse with NO REINS. all of this on a hopped up 8 year old lusitano stallion who comes from the bull ring in portugal.

of course she has a *magical seat* and very, very quiet legs that can get LOUD when necessary. ( and a long dressage whip).

serah, maybe take a break from riding for a while?

Uhg that sucks that that is your job. It makes riding your own seem like work. Never fun. You do know cows are big scary creatures.Cheese spent the first few years as rodeo roughstock. So she was exposed to cattle a lot. She still thinks they are suspicous.

My friend who owns Cashews was there with me. She had a greenie there that day for training purposes. She wants to take Cashews there in a snaffle and show them it can be done. Everyone there rode in a curb. I will admit I do have a dogbone curb bit with short shanks for trail riding.I just feel more comfortable with it. Not ready to fully bit down on the trails yet. Probably more of a confidence thing on my part due to my eyesight.

:twitch: working cow horse at speed on thursday, i had collection. i asked for renvers at the (fairly speedy) canter, and the horse got so powerful on his haunches and was elevating that i forgot to pay attention to the cow :wacko: .

now if i can only get that again :questionicon: ...and NOT forget the cow.