Jaxnopie

Would Love To Hear Your Funny Or Maybe Not So Funny Spook Stories.

One time I was riding through the woods on a path and these little butterflies flew up by my horse's eye. She was about 3 at the time. I guess they showed her their teeth because she detoured through the woods at a trot. I was laughing so hard I couldn't stop her for a little while.

One of the local places I camp/ride at has a gravel road going through the forest. It's a great spot to let the horses trot or canter! (One of those old gravel roads with no gravel left on it.) I wasn't along that day but 3 of my friends were cruising along and one of their horses surged ahead and went across in front of the other two and then just disappeared in the thick brush! The 2 left on the road couldn't even check if she was ok because they were laughing too hard! She was ok and we still laugh at her when we are going along that road!

TPL you know purple flowers growl too. She could always hear them long before we came up on them.

I have a new one! Today I was working with one of the yearlings at the ranch with a blue tarp. Just getting her to cross over it and such. I was letting her sniff it when she decided to taste it as well.... Needless to say she spooks herself with it. she couldn't put two and two together and let go of it so she starts running sideways as fast as her legs would take her but it kept following her. She finally steps onto the tarp and rips it out of her mouth. Surprisingly after all that I was able to take her over the tarp almost immediately. Silly girl

Years ago I took a green broke filly out on a trail ride along some back roads in our area. Along the way we found ourselves approaching a brush fire. I thought this would be a true test of just how far she'd come along in the desensitizing part of her training...so...

We now have some smoke and small areas of fire along side the road we're on - no reaction to either.

Yelling, running, men in bright yellow fire suits - no reaction.

Fire truck comes barreling in, lights on, sirens blaring - no reaction.

Brush truck rumbles in - no reaction.

Personal vehicles with bar lights (volunteer fire dept.) - no reaction.

Semi arrives with bull dozer on board - no reaction.

Fire up the bull dozer and move it off the truck - still no reaction - good girl!

We pass all of this without so much as the bat of an eye and continue on to have a very nice trail ride.

On the way back we approach the are off the fire (now out, all equipment, etc. gone) once more and suddenly miss filly goes on high alert, gets all big-eyed, and starts dancing around. The problem? A burned tree stump about 15' off the road was apparently threatening to eat her alive and was refusing to let her pass. Took me about 15 minutes to convince that tree stump that I would not put up with such nonsense and it finally consented to letting us go on our merry way. Whew, that was a close one! :blink:

riding in the outdoor arena, and horse sees a mama duck leading her little ones accross the adjoining field. he was SHOCKED! :rotf:

uhg last night. I wanted to go on a RELAXING bareback stroll around the property since it's all slushy and gross- couldnt really ride, but needed a horse fix. Start out nice and easy, get up to the back of the property and he sees/hears cows, waaaay off. I decide, I'm in no hurry I'll let him stop and look.

Unfortunately, sometimes if I let this horse stop and look too long he start imagining dragons and flame throwing cows. I nudge him on and he walks....stops again and stares. I let him look way to long and I tell him to go forward and get....no response. Uh oh. I have been here before. Nudge him again and he EXPLODES, rears and falls down/nearly flips over because he slips in the mud. There we are both laying on the ground. VERY glad I decided to wear my helmet, I almost didn't!

I stay off him and start to move move move his feet and get his attention- I was doing the 'falling leaf' pattern that pat parelli taught, while migrating away from the barn. Moving him sideways and backing up. About 5min min we are halfway to the barn and he is calm, eating grass. phew.

Oh and I forgot the really scary part, luckily just has he was starting to think again and come to his senses, my freaking leadrope snap comes off....and there he is 'circling' in a huge barb wire field. Thank goodness for his brain as I just pretended he was still on the rope, called him in and he responded.

Need to work on this cow thing, it's ridiculous.

I am now picturing flame throwing cows. :rotf: I love it. I have another one to tell on Rose who thinks purple flowers growl and butterfies have teeth. We were in a friend's field riding. She has sheep. One of the unsheared sheep was walking up from the back of the field. This thing looked like a cloud walking toward us. I got off Rose whose head was getting higher and higher as this thing was walking toward us. She jumped in behind me and was peeking out from behind me to see it. I guess she thought I'd protect her from it. Actually it made me feel good that she trusted me that much.

I am now picturing flame throwing cows. :rotf: I love it. I have another one to tell on Rose who thinks purple flowers growl and butterfies have teeth. We were in a friend's field riding. She has sheep. One of the unsheared sheep was walking up from the back of the field. This thing looked like a cloud walking toward us. I got off Rose whose head was getting higher and higher as this thing was walking toward us. She jumped in behind me and was peeking out from behind me to see it. I guess she thought I'd protect her from it. Actually it made me feel good that she trusted me that much.

That one reminded me of Jubal soon after I first got him. One day I looked out to see him streaking across the pasture. He backed up against the fence , head high, nostrils flared and actually shaking. I went out to see what he had spooked at and found a pair of Canada Geese walking around his pasture. I guess they were looking for a nesting spot. I wasn't keen on that being my pasture, so I walked toward them. Before I had gone twenty feet, Jubal was right behind me with his nose practically on my neck. If I stopped, he stopped. If I started up, he was right behind me. That's when I found out my horse is a Big Wuss!

That one reminded me of Jubal soon after I first got him. One day I looked out to see him streaking across the pasture. He backed up against the fence , head high, nostrils flared and actually shaking. I went out to see what he had spooked at and found a pair of Canada Geese walking around his pasture. I guess they were looking for a nesting spot. I wasn't keen on that being my pasture, so I walked toward them. Before I had gone twenty feet, Jubal was right behind me with his nose practically on my neck. If I stopped, he stopped. If I started up, he was right behind me. That's when I found out my horse is a Big Wuss!

Lol I have had just about the same thing happen out in our pasture every year. I guess our pasture is along their route because it never fails about 10 Canadian honkers stop for a few days and not one of the 15 pasture horses will pass them to graze. The geese herd them all up under the barn cover for 2 days.

I have a spook-story about my grade appy gelding, Cochise.

I was riding him past an exotic farm and the 'herd' of about 50 nearly grown Ostriches spied us and flocked en masse from the back of the property to the front. Cochise and I were across the road and about 60' from the closest fence. When the birds raised their heads and turned to look at us, Cochise stopped to look, because they were a different shape than he was accustomed to seeing. As they rushed towards us from the back, Cochise's neck got longer and taller while his legs sank lower and lower and he leaned his body further and further back and to our right. If someone had been able to take a pic of him, I bet he'd have looked as sideways as if he were on the deck of a ship pitching in heavy seas!

Anyhow, as he telescoped his neck, sank lower and leaned back ... he never moved his feet but I could feel him quivering and ready to 'break' and spin away. When the birds reached the fence and slowed to a stop, Cochise slowly stood back upright and curved his neck - still keeping a wary eye on the steroidal chickens! - blew threw his nose and cut me a look as if to say "close one, huh?" Um, yeah, buddy. That sure was close.

Edited by Heidi n Q

"I was riding him past an exotic farm and the 'herd' of about 50 nearly grown Ostriches spied us and flocked en masse from the back of the property to the front."

Ha Ha! That would be Jubal's worst nightmare! He's gotten over the Canada Goose thing, but won't go near the side of the pasture where the Blue Heron sits in the trees occasionally.

I've gotten thrown because 3 geese flew over us I couldn't imagine what a flock of Ostriches would do to my poor horse. :rotf:

Edited by rosy

I had a Walker that was a former show horse and terrified of everything. The first time she saw an old oak tree she shook so hard she vibrated. It took weeks of training to get her brave and trusting me. About a year later, I was riding her with a bareback pad and our golden retriever went with us. Goldie jumped into the brush and startled an entire covey of quail into us. Caprice was fine and came to a stop, until I screamed when two of the birds hit into me. She jumped about nine feet sideways and stood there shaking like a leaf.

I was proud that I'd stayed on and ashamed that I let my fear of flying birds scare her. I finally got her where things flapping around or towards her didn't scare her. I still have scars on my legs from a fighting rooster when I was little and don't like birds flying at me. I just dunk down instead of scream.

Edited by dondie

My friend and I were out riding in this 200 acre field that had lots of trees in it and paths mowed through it. We were loping along through the one winding trail. We rode in this field almost daily. Well loping along there was a rock in the middle of the path that wasn't there the day before. I was in front, signaled to pull up and we both did. I start to walk my horse past it and realize it's a snapping turtle about the size of a big platter. My horse does this wide rib bending berth around the turtle that is hissing at us but walks past.

My friends horse, little 14H arab mare.. she goes to walk around it like my horse did and by this time the turtle had turned facing her. Just as she was going to go around it it sort of lunged and hissed at her. That horse's front end stopped moving but her hind kept going for a few steps. She ended up about 2 foot long front to back. Eyes as big as dinner plates.. her worst fears were confirmed.. ROCKS WILL IN FACT, EAT YOU!!!

Took my friend about 10 minutes to get the horse to go around the turtle. All the while I"m on the other side nearly falling off my horse laughing. She was having a hard time getting her to go forward cause SHE was laughing so hard at the horses expression.

That was 10 years ago and to this day.. that horse still gets bug eyed at big rocks.

I have a spook-story about my grade appy gelding, Cochise.

I was riding him past an exotic farm and the 'herd' of about 50 nearly grown Ostriches spied us and flocked en masse from the back of the property to the front. Cochise and I were across the road and about 60' from the closest fence. When the birds raised their heads and turned to look at us, Cochise stopped to look, because they were a different shape than he was accustomed to seeing. As they rushed towards us from the back, Cochise's neck got longer and taller while his legs sank lower and lower and he leaned his body further and further back and to our right. If someone had been able to take a pic of him, I bet he'd have looked as sideways as if he were on the deck of a ship pitching in heavy seas!

Anyhow, as he telescoped his neck, sank lower and leaned back ... he never moved his feet but I could feel him quivering and ready to 'break' and spin away. When the birds reached the fence and slowed to a stop, Cochise slowly stood back upright and curved his neck - still keeping a wary eye on the steroidal chickens! - blew threw his nose and cut me a look as if to say "close one, huh?" Um, yeah, buddy. That sure was close.

You gotta love him when he spooks in place under such a situation. Very trusting mount. I don't even know him and love him already. :notworthy:

Not spooky but scary... For me : )

Okay, well I was out on my horse one day bareback with my halter/lead rope as a bridle. Me and my mare were on the usual trail I we rode on, but I was wanting to try something new. So, I decided to head down a different path which led me to a field (I don't know what kind of crops) but anyway I decided to go along a row that didn't have anything planted. The field stretched around a corner (where I couldn't see anything around the corner) and my mare started to hold her head up high and flare her nostrils. I tried to stop her to calm her down, but she kept on walking. I decided let her, and when we walked around the corner, the rancher was standing there digging. Apparently, my horse was afraid of shovels... She jumped sideways and bolted, and I tried to do the one hand emergency stop, but my halter came undone (It's a rope halter) and my mare was free. I was scared out of my mind! She wouldn't stop, and I was slipping. My mare wasn't even considering slowing down, and I all I could think was, "Oh great, I'm ruining a rancher's crops.. And I'm going to die." By that point, we were nearly half way across the field when my horse dodged right, and I slid off left. I sat covered in mud while my horse was running away towards who knows where. I was in tears thinking my horse would slip and hurt her self, but I couldn't do a thing about it. I got up, un-harmed but in shock. The rancher was at this point running to my aid (I was so embarrassed!) but luckily he wasn't angry about his crops being ruined. He took me home, and I called my friend to get her to come help me find my horse. When I called her, she said, "Oh, your horse is running up my drive way!". I was so happy that my horse was safe at my friend's house... She actually ran to a horse called Duke (her horse friend). So, next time you are out on a trail ride in the unknowns, make sure you are aware that your horse could possibly bolt, and If they start to get really tense, get off and calm them down so this doesn't happen to you. I was very lucky that my horse knew where my friend's house was : )

Edited by cowgirl.up121

My friend and I were out riding in this 200 acre field that had lots of trees in it and paths mowed through it. We were loping along through the one winding trail. We rode in this field almost daily. Well loping along there was a rock in the middle of the path that wasn't there the day before. I was in front, signaled to pull up and we both did. I start to walk my horse past it and realize it's a snapping turtle about the size of a big platter. My horse does this wide rib bending berth around the turtle that is hissing at us but walks past.

My friends horse, little 14H arab mare.. she goes to walk around it like my horse did and by this time the turtle had turned facing her. Just as she was going to go around it it sort of lunged and hissed at her. That horse's front end stopped moving but her hind kept going for a few steps. She ended up about 2 foot long front to back. Eyes as big as dinner plates.. her worst fears were confirmed.. ROCKS WILL IN FACT, EAT YOU!!!

Took my friend about 10 minutes to get the horse to go around the turtle. All the while I"m on the other side nearly falling off my horse laughing. She was having a hard time getting her to go forward cause SHE was laughing so hard at the horses expression.

That was 10 years ago and to this day.. that horse still gets bug eyed at big rocks.

Oh my gosh,made my day : )

We have a big herd of cows that live next door, the horses see them every. single. day.

Went out to feed yesterday morning and the horses were all bug-eyed, dancing around with their tails flipped up over their backs, snorting, blowing, and staring at the woods behind us. Apparently one of the cows had jumped the fence onto the adjoining property back there and somehow morphed into a horse eating monster of some sort.

Seriously, they could hardly eat their breakfast for having to keep their bugged out eyes on her.

Hopefully she'll jump back into her own pasture, rejoin her herd, and become a plain old every day cow again soon.

Edited by rattusrat

Rattusrat you know when cows get away from their herd they become horse eating monsters. The horses already know this. :happy0203:

Oh yeah, in a crowd their safe enough, it's the loners ya gotta watch out for! :crazy: