Hello

About 4-5 months ago i got a QH jumper. 10 years old, Insane amount of scope and stubborn as a mule. In the past 3 or so weeks every time i put him in the cross ties to groom/tack up, he pins his ears back, paws and stomps and on a few occasion tried to kick me when ever I have tried to get a brush anywhere near his Barrel and hindquarters. he loves getting groomed from his shoulders up.

I know this often is the case with OTTB's, not wanting to be touched and having super sensitive skin, being as we have a few at my barn, but he hasn't always acted like this. it has gotten to the point where i don't even want to attempt to get near his hind quarters.

He has been doing this when we take him to shows too, so its not limited to home. Any advice as to why he's started doing this or how to stop it is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

EDIT: My trainer has checked him out and it didn't seem like he was back sore or anything. he moves fine and is jumping like a dream, no signs of pain. He is fine after I ride him and doesn't mine me brushing or using a curry on his hindquarters. In general he is a somewhat hot, energetic horse.

Edited by Jumpergirl99

I would definitely want to get a vet check done on him ruling out any and all pain. Ulcers could be the cause, or it could be something a chiro needs to look at.

this post is difficult to understand for me. first off, i have known plenty of OTTB's who do not exhibit this behavior, even when they're still OTTB's (as in still racing).

he is a quarter horse jumper with plenty of scope but stubborn as a mule? where did you find or see the scope? how does he act stubborn, and what does your farrier do when he needs to be trimmed or shod?

a video of YOUR behavior around this horse would help us all to give feedback.

this post is difficult to understand for me. first off, i have known plenty of OTTB's who do not exhibit this behavior, even when they're still OTTB's (as in still racing).

he is a quarter horse jumper with plenty of scope but stubborn as a mule? where did you find or see the scope? how does he act stubborn, and what does your farrier do when he needs to be trimmed or shod?

a video of YOUR behavior around this horse would help us all to give feedback.

1) scope just refers to the width a horse can jump, in a nutshell. I was just giving a little back ground on him.

2) stubborn as in if he doesn't want to do some thing its really hard to get him to do it. He just get very set in his way.

3) farrier comes every 7 weeks, he's got pretty nice feet, really only needs a trim and then new shoes. barefoot on the back for quite a while now. he only gets shoes on his back if we are showing on grass and he needs studs.

Absolutely you should rule out pain, but your horse sounds like he has the upper hand of the two of you. Barring pain, the only other reason for him to have started this and gotten worse is the way the you are handling his. For instance: you brush hindquarters, horse pins his ears and tosses his head, you move away. Horse wins.

I recommend getting some real-life assistance before you get hurt. I think he is bullying you and you are unwittingly allowing it to happen.

Edited for spelling/typos

Edited by Greenhaven

Agreed on the vet check, ulcers come to mind, though I'm not familiar enough with them to know if before vs after work should show a difference.

Once pain is ruled out I suggest ground work, respecting your space, yielding to you, and being sent out to work when he shows resistance to any of it.

EDIT: My trainer has checked him out and it didn't seem like he was back sore or anything. he moves fine and is jumping like a dream, no signs of pain. He is fine after I ride him and doesn't mine me brushing or using a curry on his hindquarters. In general he is a somewhat hot, energetic horse.

so he moves fine, jumps like a dream, no signs of pain, fine after you ride him, goes to shows (so i guess he loads), stands for the farrier. i think you need to find a different characterization for this behavior than "stubborn as a mule", and i think you need to look at different sources as an explanation for his behavior when you are grooming him from the shoulders back. have someone take a video of you catching him (is he in the field or 24/7 stalled?), putting on his halter, how you lead, putting him in the cross-ties and everything from A -Z including picking out his back feet.

you've got my curiousity up :smilie: .

Is he on cross ties EVERYTIME you groom him? Just trying to rule out cross ties as the problem.

You say he is fine after a ride. Maybe when you brush before a ride, he's anticipating that he has to work.

What happens when he resists or threatens to kick when you brush. Do you stop brushing? That's his reward, and he will resist again.

My mare, Rosie, would not allow me to brush or even touch her much past her shoulder, when I first got her as a two year old. What I did was gradually extend my brushing, and touching past her shoulder and would quit BEFORE she reacted. Each time I would try to get just a little bit further back, always quitting before she reacted.

Eventually, and it didn't take all that long, either, I was able to run my hand all the way back and down her hip. To this day, though, I start brushing or touching her at least at her barrel and run my hand back. I never just run up to her and start messing with her hip area. She likes to know what's coming.

First of all, I agree that this sounds like a behavior problem. My gelding hasn't liked to be brushed since I bought him 12 yrs. ago. He is very "thin skinned" and sensitive, so I have to use a soft brush. He accepts that much better. Then, he doesn't like to be cross tied when being brushed because horses, by nature, are claustophobic. He will try to kick out at me if I hit a sensitive spot and am brushing too hard. I noticed that when I brush him off the ties, he allows me to brush anywhere on his body without reacting. And, when I hand graze him, he also doesn't try to kick out when I brush the rear part of his body. So, I suggest that you try some of the things I mentioned and see if that makes a difference. Also, my gelding is pushy and tries to be the alpha horse. I have done extensive groundwork (a la Clinton Anderson) and this also has helped me to gain his respect. Another training tool that I have done that also works - when he has tried to kick out on the ties when I am brushing him...I immediately unhook the ties, and back him up at least 25-30 feet - in other words, make him move his feet - so that he gets the message that I am in charge...not him. Hope this helps!!! :smileywavey:

Edited by Willy ShoMaker

First of all, I agree that this sounds like a behavior problem. My gelding hasn't liked to be brushed since I bought him 12 yrs. ago. He is very "thin skinned" and sensitive, so I have to use a soft brush. He accepts that much better. Then, he doesn't like to be cross tied when being brushed because horses, by nature, are claustophobic. He will try to kick out at me if I hit a sensitive spot and am brushing too hard. I noticed that when I brush him off the ties, he allows me to brush anywhere on his body without reacting. And, when I hand graze him, he also doesn't try to kick out when I brush the rear part of his body. So, I suggest that you try some of the things I mentioned and see if that makes a difference. Also, my gelding is pushy and tries to be the alpha horse. I have done extensive groundwork (a la Clinton Anderson) and this also has helped me to gain his respect. Another training tool that I have done that also works - when he has tried to kick out on the ties when I am brushing him...I immediately unhook the ties, and back him up at least 25-30 feet - in other words, make him move his feet - so that he gets the message that I am in charge...not him. Hope this helps!!! :smileywavey:

i took a 1 year border collie off the hands of a family with three small children. they told me he didn't like to be brushed. couldn't brush him. bit, nipped, wouldn't hold still.

so i informed my husband while he was brushing the dog, that said dog apparently doesn't like to be brushed. he said "while brushing dog in ecstasy" WHAT?

Maybe grab a piece of baling twine (maybe 12 inches long) and tie it to a bar, and then tie your horse to it. Just groom/tack him up there. He's probably just frightened of the cross ties, and so he is taking it out on you.