Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Fellers

Think I Have This Right?

Ok, so I come from the land of "just throw the horse sweet feed/corn and it'll be okay". My horses were becoming unthrifty though so I started researching horse nutrition which brought me here. After searching through quite a few posts I decided that feeding Strategy would be my best choice, but my gelding has bad hooves and my mare gets rain rot every winter. So I read that Omega Horseshine helps with hooves/coat condition but I noticed that the Omegatin at TSC had about the same nutrients in it, it was also about 20 dollars cheaper so I went with that. (Should I choose the Horshine instead?) My other question is, am I feeding my horses correctly and are they getting enough vitamins ect... I give free choice hay all the time. I am just starting this feed so they are on just getting 'weaned' up to what I am planning on feeding them. I would like for my horses to gain some weight also, they aren't really thin but I would like to bulk them up a little more (you can feel ribs but barely see them). Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for my ignorance :blink::surrender:

Edited by JesSam

I would also like to find out more about rice bran. Does this constitute "cool" calories? Once my horses get to the weight I want to sustain can I switch to rice bran and their Omegatin supplement, or should I just stick with strategy? Wouldn't even know were to get rice bran honestly :confused0024: lol sorry to bother you all with this

Don't be sorry to bother us. There are people on here that know a lot about nutrition and will be glad to help. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. You should get some advice soon! :happy0203:

I'm going out on a limb and making the assumption that the Horseshine and Omegatin are simply fat supplements, high in omega fatty acids. if that's the case, feeding rice bran is just doubling up on what you're already doing. Depending on composition of each, you may be getting extra calories with that. Beet pulp is a good option for weight gain in addition to fats.

I've had great luck with Strategy healthy edge and add some beet pulp and lesser expensive hay pellets with it as a filler.. Of course I feed that to my 35 + year old . You don't have to give them lots of the strategy to get weight gain quick.. great for coats and hoofs as well..Its all I have found that my arab stays and maintains her weight with anymore...

AD

TTTTThe orse shine Ingredients/Nutritional facts:

Stabilized Ground Flax Seed, Yeast Culture (Diamond V Yeast), Ground Oats, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Copper Sulfate, Folic Acid, Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin and Thiamine.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein, % Min. 18.0

Arginine, %Min. 1.65

Leucine, % Min. 1.13

Isoleucine, % Min. 0.99

Valine, % Min. 0.95

Lysine, % Min. 0.81

Phenylalanine, % Min. 0.80

Threonine, % Min. 0.67

Histidine, % Min. 0.38

Methionine, % Min. 0.34

Tryptophan, % Min. 0.29

Crude Fat, % Min. 30.0

Crude Fiber, % Max. 15.0

Calcium, % Min. 0.50

Calcium, % Max. 0.55

Phosphorus, % Min. 0.59

Magnesium, % Min. 0.35

Potassium, % Min. 0.74

Potassium, % Max. 0.76

Copper, ppm Min. 77.0

Selenium, ppm Min. 1.90

Zinc, ppm Min. 360.0

Manganese, ppm Min. 126.0

Sugar, % Max. 3.8

Starch, % Max. 0.6

Omega-3 Fatty Acids % Min. 18.5

Omega-6 Fatty Acids % Min. 6.0

Omega-9 Fatty Acids % Min. 6.0

Omegatin: Crude Protein, min

15.0%

Lysine, min

0.8%

Methionine, min

0.2%

Threonine, min

0.5%

Crude Fat, min

20.0%

Crude Fiber, max

11.0%

Calcium (Ca), min

0.65%

Calcium (Ca), max

1.15%

Phosphorus (P), min

0.7%

Salt (NaCl), min

0.3%

Salt (NaCl), max

0.8%

Copper (Cu), min

20 ppm

Selenium (Se), min

0.3 ppm

Zinc (Zn), min

100 ppm

Vitamin A, min

9000 IU/lb

Vitamin D3, min

2000 IU/lb

Vitamin E, min

200 IU/lb

Biotin, min

0.5 mg/lb

Thank you alaskandraft and cvm, so I guess I'll stick with what I'm doing and if I have to add something here in a month or so I will go with beet pulp. Thanks again guys, just wanted to know if I was doing this right :crazy:

I would bet youll see weight gain and improved coats and hooves simply switching to Strategy from the corn and sweetfeed. Honestly, If it were me for the first 4 weeks I would have only switched the food and not added any supplements, so I could see the changes the feed made. Its hard to tell if something works for your horse if you add multiple things at once. I do have horses on supplements, but they had all been on their feed for a while before adding in supplements. If your feeding omegatin, you dont want to add rice bran, one or the other but not both. I feed beet pulp to some horses if they have trouble keeping on weight, but thats once those horses are already on the approapriate amount of a good feed. I would try just the strategy for a month until you can see how much weight they put on with that, then add in the omegatin. That will also give them time to get accustomed to the new feed.

As far as covering their vitamins and minerals, you should be set. You can put of free choice loose minerals for them to eat as they need (better than a salt block).

The really great thing is that its likely that you will need to feed less of the strategy than the corn and sweet feed you were feeding before so will probably save money in the end, will have better coats, better hooves, and better weight and muscle. I really like strategy, I use it for my halter horses.

Was in similar shoes as you just recently,JesSam. You got some pretty good advice above. I talked to my feed store and started using Calf Manna. What a grreat feed. They also make a Horse Manna but its not sold up here yet. Google it if you end up wanting something else. You feed not very much per horse and it bennefits coat and also doesn't produce the 'hot horse'. Hopefully what you have works out for you. Pain in the back side when you gotta seek out the perfect food for any animal lol.

Edited by Duke's Savvy Chic

Mydaddysjag- thank you for the advice, I guess I will just stick with Strategy for a month or so and see what kind of difference I get then add in Omegatin if needed. Thanks Duke's Savvy Chic also, everyone is so nice here :huggy: (still can't figure out how to put spaces between my sentences, press enter but nothing happens :bang_head: )

Here are a couple pictures of a horse I acquired last year. The top picture was taken when I got him, the bottom picture was taken exactly one month later. He had a viral infection and elevated temperature when I got him. The vet gave me some antibiotics and told me to feed him Strategy and to gradually get him up to 8 lbs of feed a day. I never did get him up to 8 lbs a day. As you can see he quickly blossomed.

m01.jpg

m04.jpg

I've had good results with both the Omegatin and the Horseshine my gelding is currently on the omega Horseshine and he's done really good on it. I'm almost done with my second bag and its lasted me 6 months just on two bags and I only feed about a cup a day with his EG stablemix his coat is always shiny he keeps a good weight all year long. His hooves eh they still leave something to be desired but I think that's just him.