Sign in to follow this  
swifthorse

Buying A Trailer For The First Time

Those Titans are awesome!!! They could SO double as a landscaping trailer, and it just so happens I will be in the market for one this year.

MyDaddysJag, do they make a straight-load 2-horse with a dressing room? I can only find slants....

Edited by Greenhaven

Another Titan lover here. Mine is now 9 years old and still looks brand new. The thing I love about mine is that it has two side doors to the LQ's. I have not seen any other trailers with two doors. We use the back door for out coats and boots, also we keep a color with drinks, so you don't have to go into the trailer all the time.

This is why I love my rear tack, because as you see the awing would get in the horses way if tied to the side. This way you tack up in the rear and away from your camp site.

Tennessee119.jpg

Trailer:

Floor boards, make sure you pull mats and inspect them. All the major load bearring areas need to be checked yeap this mean personally crawling under and looking for cracks in the welds and wear spots. Dont take a sellers word that everything is up to snuff. Electrical can be fixed inexpensively, and brakes and bearings need to be changed regardless of when the previous owners did them.

Now for the other misc that everyone else has covered:

Have the right trailer for your horse's size and what not

Have the right truck to STOP said trailer (yeap pull it too)

Our 32 ft stock cost us 9500 new with a maintance warrenty. Dont rule out stock trailers, you'd be surprised. I love mine!

@Greenhaven. Yes, they do. My trailer has an oversized dressing room, the door you see in the horse compartment leads into the dressing room, its 7' to the nose and has tons of room since its not on a slant wall. Let me see if I have a picture. Its big enough to sleep in at shows if you have to. Also, the door that goes from the dressing room to outside has a door with a screened window, nice if your sleeping in it.

405756326.jpg

Here is my tack/dressing room. You cant quite see all of it, but gives you a good idea, about 6" are cut off the left side, and about 20" off the right up in the V nose. As you can see, I still had my matts out while the water seal dried, I do that every winter. Can also see where my spare tire mounts. The saddle stand holds 3 saddles, and swings out. There is a nice halter/bridle rack on the wall on the right (before the door that goes in the horse compartment) and brush boxes on the door leading outside. The newer models have another area to hang halters and bridles too.

Edited by MyDaddysJag

That is pretty sweet. I started looking around, and I can find some decent trailers set up that way that could easily double as landscaping trailers. Not too badly priced, either, although no Titans in range.

This is very exciting, it would make me horse-mobile again if I end up with another one in my barn.

Does anyone have an opinion on Corn Pro's? They're similar in style and price point to the Calico's. I looked at a couple as I was kicking around brands. Typical steel trailer surface rust in spots but not bad. Maybe someone has practical experience?

We had a 3 horse CornPro bp that I absolutely LOVED. Had it for 4 years before we upgraded to an aluminum gn. Very well made trailer IMO and a good price. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Have actually been kinda looking to get another one eventually so I have a smaller trailer for day riding.