MiSSxZURi

Pregnancy/labor/delivery!

Okay, here's one.

How about those women who elect unnecessary c-sections for their own convenience?

What about the doctors who are paid per delivery they perform and therefore induce women into early labor for their own convenience and then immediately kick them out of their beds?

There are also those doctors who use tools and practices to speed along an otherwise happy and successful labor and birth (pitocin, clamps, vaccuum, perineum slicing, etc)?

There are cases of doctors even insisting on c-sections for the 'health and safety' of either mother or baby when there's actually no real threat. A prolonged labor, for great example. If it takes too long they will panic, worried about their own reputation and fear of being sued for malpractice moreso than the natural course of things, and so to the OR they'll go. They would rather default their motives to 'making sure the baby is out as swiftly as possbile' above all else.

Personally, none of this works for me. Here's my first hand experience with some of it.

I stipulated in my actual admittance contract, in writing, SIGNED, when I went into labor with my daughter that I refused all vaccinations, vitamin K, eye goop, no episiotomy, no vaccum, no bath, ETC ETC. I had solid, unwavering reasons for all of these decisions and I discussed this VERY plainly with my OB and not only did they treat my pregnancy like a disease in need of serious management, they doused me with pitocin, cut me (I didn't feel or notice it at all, my [now ex] husband told me about it, and then of course I noticed it later) AND used a vaccuum on my baby, resulting in a lovely head gash that lead me to getting her the Vit K shot even though I didn't even want it. I didn't see or notice this either. Since I was doped up I didn't feel anything, and the nurses hovering around me were nagging me to hold my breath for a ten count and if I got so stressed out they shoved oxygen on my face. (That made it even worse, also.) My OB actually made me feel bad about the way I was "not pushing good enough" and it turned out she was getting stuck because of my "curved pelvis bone." Hmm... Perhaps this is why gravity teaches us that birthing was not meant to be done on ones back? Eventually she started flat out threatening me with a c-section. Needless to say I never went back to her for a follow up, or spoke to her or anyone at that hospital again.

*Note* the only reason I didn't go naturally as I intended, was because after they IV'd me with pitocin (I wasn't educated enough on this at the time) my contractions were snowballing as they call it, and I felt like I was dying. When I got checked at 5cm things were just starting to get bad. Then two hours later when I demanded another check the brat nurse told me I was STILL at 5cm, and I blew up. It wasn't even accurate, by the way. I demanded the intrathecal (basically an epidural with a different cocktail) and from there I got a single hour of no pain, then it was time to push, and a lot of it wore off. The only thing I didn't feel was the stretch/burn at the very end. Anyhow...

This would be why I'm one of the most natural type mothers out there. I won't even do prenatal at a clinic anymore, I am strictly for widwives. Not to say I'm going to go birth a baby in the backwoods with no medical assistance for miles, because in TRUE extreme cases, which is a very very small number, hospitals are a great thing. But as long as I'm a low/no risk case you will not find me sacraficing what my body is made to do so I can keep up with the mainstream.

I'm pulling my information from not only personal experience with my first (and ONLY) hospital birth, but from printed sources such as PUSHED by Jennifer Block, friend/relative accounts, other online articles/research, etc.

Maybe you should just give birth at home? Sorry, but we deal with really grumpy "mothers" all the time and the staff there do what they do because they know what they are doing- they are faced with it day in and day out.

I see nothing wrong with a convienance c-section. Heck, if I ever got knocked up, that'd be the only way the thing would come out...sure as crap ain't comin' out the other way!

I have been doing some research and reading the last couple years, and I am shocked at what this country gets away with. Our maternal and infant death rates are abysmal for a first-world country.

I think if more mothers were told the real truth about the risks of such "elective" procedures and interventions most of them would opt out.

I was supposed to return some books from my DIL to our mutual doula friend, and ended up reading about half of them myself, lol! "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" was an real eye-opener even after I had already seen "The Business of Being Born."

Well, I'll tell you what I think.

My 1st was born when I was 28, the second at 30.

Labor was a total of 5 hours, I worked until my water broke.

Very easy, no drug births at Fairbanks Memorial.

Stayed the night and left. Went back to work in a week.

Was 38 when number 3 was born, wasn't in labor that long,

but when the doctor finally showed, she wanted to do a c section.

Never really got a good explaination from her, I'm still mad.!!!

Couldn't get up by myself for a week.

If my first had been a c section he would have been an only child for sure.

Still Mad thinking about it 20 years later.!!! :blink:

It drives me absolutely nuts when people arrange a c-section/inducement. Yes, there are times when it is necessary, and I understand that. But "for the most part" I believe when your body and your baby are ready for delivery, it will happen! If you don't want to push a baby out your hoohah, don't get knocked up!

/rant

Was 38 when number 3 was born, wasn't in labor that long,

but when the doctor finally showed, she wanted to do a c section.

Never really got a good explaination from her, I'm still mad.!!!

Oh come on, now, give her some credit, she might have been late for a dinner date. [/sarcasm]

Edited by Greenhaven

My 1st I was 10 days late and told that dr to get her out of me now or I'd come to the er everyday until they just induced me. LOL got an epideral that wore off. By time they got it fixed I was pushing. I lost control of my rt leg. Had her at 6:18pm and finally got it back under my control after midnight. Left at the 24 hr mark to go home.

My 2nd I was induced 1 week early at my choice. My husband was contracting and was home only 2 weeks and no way was I going to go over and him miss it and not be able to spend time with her. Labor was horrible. Worst back labor ever. She was head 1st but upside down. Epideral did not work, on oxygen, finally got to push and didn't stop bc that was the only thing that made the pain go away. Dr did not make it and was quite ticked at everyone including me. Oh well.

Pregnant again and I'm terrified of my pending labor. I'm going to talk to my dr on my options. My on this time is really cool. Hopefully she delivers this kid. I'm just hoping I go in labor myself and can do most of it at home. That would be nice!!!

Pregnant again and I'm terrified of my pending labor. I'm going to talk to my dr on my options. My on this time is really cool. Hopefully she delivers this kid. I'm just hoping I go in labor myself and can do most of it at home. That would be nice!!!

You, my dear, will delivery this baby! Believe in the power of your body to do what it was meant to do, barring extraordinary circumstances.

I had both of mine natural. I didn't even take a aspirin with either. Worked up until 3 days before, went in and had a baby within 4 hours. Went home the same day.

I had my first at 30 and second at 35.

My Doctor had no problems with the way I wanted it, he was even sad that he didn't film it, to show what a natural birth should look like.

We were cracking up while I was in labor, because the nurses kept asking me to tell them when I had a contraction, I would say right now. No screaming, we watched TV the whole time and laughed at the women down the halls that were screaming bloody murder.

You, my dear, will delivery this baby! Believe in the power of your body to do what it was meant to do, barring extraordinary circumstances.

With or without the dr. LOL I'm just reliving last delivery. Both kids born same time, 1st 7 lbs 13 oz, 2nd 8lbs 13 oz. LOL

With or without the dr. LOL I'm just reliving last delivery. Both kids born same time, 1st 7 lbs 13 oz, 2nd 8lbs 13 oz. LOL

Knowing what I know now I wish I had a chance to redo my own- it is not too late for you! I had natural births, attended by midwives in a hospital. They were fine experiences, but certainly things I would have done differently, had I known. Both boys were 9lb. 8oz.

I'm going to research the hospitals options too. I'm just worried I'm going to have to be induced again. My labors weren't terribly long just hard. I'd love to start labor AT home and stay until I have no choice to head in. LOL

Maybe you should just give birth at home? Sorry, but we deal with really grumpy "mothers" all the time and the staff there do what they do because they know what they are doing- they are faced with it day in and day out.

I see nothing wrong with a convienance c-section. Heck, if I ever got knocked up, that'd be the only way the thing would come out...sure as crap ain't comin' out the other way!

First of all, no nurse or OB or brain surgeon or rocket scientist or bum on the street that tells a woman in active labor to hold her breath for ten seconds in order to push knows a single blip about anything. Just saying.

And funny you should say that! My second was a natural home water birth and it was the single most amazing experience and I would NEVER labor or birth another way again. It was 5 easy breezy hours and the only person who touched me was my midwife's assistant who gave me the most amazing relaxing massages. My [then] husband, my best friend, my mom, my daughter and my midwife & her assistant were the only ones there. They were there for me if I needed or wanted anything but for the most part they just left me alone, and let me work through things myself. They respected my body and what it had to do and what I was going through, and they supported me. I was at my own home and had every comfort I could want available to me. That's enough. The majority of women don't need to be hooked up and monitored and altogether terrorized by their attendants during the birthing process, but sadly that's what that majority of women go through.

Education is key here and you really can't leave it up to a hospital to teach you the things you need to know. Research, reasonable conclusion and confidence will get you through a happy, healthy childbirth. Something we were purely designed for doesn't have to be so difficult! B)

I was induced because I was having horrible contractions at home, full moon, and with my complications, she thought if would be safer than waiting. Worst decision ever. My water as broke and I was immediately pushed into getting an epidural before I really needed it, then it stopped working when I needed it the most. I was dilated to 10 for 45 min pushing but DD was face up and stuck, and i was distressed because pitocin was causing constant contractions with barely time to breathe, so I needed a csection. I was in horrendous pain and when I got back to the OR it was found the epidural was not even in anymore, which explained the pain, oh the pain. Spinal was given, it caused me to lose control of my chest and it felt like my own body was suffocating me, so the had to help me breathe while I was panicking because I couldn't breathe, as anyone would. Then in recovery the nurses were talking about me panicking like I was just fine. NO, you *******, I was given too much medicine in my spine, full spinal plus what was left of epidural, and it affected my body too high.

I would have loved to have a natural birth, or try, with epidural handy if I needed it, but wasn't given that chance. Now I think I'm stuck with csection again with my next one, not sure I want to risk a ruptured uterus during childbirth, although they told me I'd be an excellent candidate for vbac in the future. Ugh, the bad is drowned by the good though, and I have my peewee, even if I needed to spend 4 days in the hospital to recover. The good thing was the morphine added to my spinal before it was pulled, I literally didn't feel pain for the whole first day, it came back with a vengeance though the following night :(

I was induced because I was having horrible contractions at home, full moon, and with my complications, she thought if would be safer than waiting. Worst decision ever. My water as broke and I was immediately pushed into getting an epidural before I really needed it, then it stopped working when I needed it the most. I was dilated to 10 for 45 min pushing but DD was face up and stuck, and i was distressed because pitocin was causing constant contractions with barely time to breathe, so I needed a csection. I was in horrendous pain and when I got back to the OR it was found the epidural was not even in anymore, which explained the pain, oh the pain. Spinal was given, it caused me to lose control of my chest and it felt like my own body was suffocating me, so the had to help me breathe while I was panicking because I couldn't breathe, as anyone would. Then in recovery the nurses were talking about me panicking like I was just fine. NO, you *******, I was given too much medicine in my spine, full spinal plus what was left of epidural, and it affected my body too high.

I would have loved to have a natural birth, or try, with epidural handy if I needed it, but wasn't given that chance. Now I think I'm stuck with csection again with my next one, not sure I want to risk a ruptured uterus during childbirth, although they told me I'd be an excellent candidate for vbac in the future. Ugh, the bad is drowned by the good though, and I have my peewee, even if I needed to spend 4 days in the hospital to recover. The good thing was the morphine added to my spinal before it was pulled, I literally didn't feel pain for the whole first day, it came back with a vengeance though the following night :(

Push for an OB/Midwife who will give you a second opinion on a VBAC. Don't make fear factor decisions, just see what your real options are before you let yourself "settle." You can only try :)

To add, I won't ever let anyone break my waters for me again either. It's not all that uncommon for it just not to break but it doesn't hurt anything, or necessarily slow down a labor process. My second one didn't even break, my son ended up being born WITH his water sac - which is even considered good luck ;)

Edited by MiSSxZURi

I had both of mine natural. I didn't even take a aspirin with either. Worked up until 3 days before, went in and had a baby within 4 hours. Went home the same day.

I had my first at 30 and second at 35.

My Doctor had no problems with the way I wanted it, he was even sad that he didn't film it, to show what a natural birth should look like.

We were cracking up while I was in labor, because the nurses kept asking me to tell them when I had a contraction, I would say right now. No screaming, we watched TV the whole time and laughed at the women down the halls that were screaming bloody murder.

So you had a good laugh at people who were in much more pain than yoy? Whatever makes you feel better i guess. ..

I had my first natural and will have this one naturally to unless there are complications. I have difficult / complicated pregnancies and a back injury that spasms between contractions and you bet i screamed bloody murder.

Just because you had an easy pregnancy and delivery does not mean that everyone is so lucky.

I see a lot of people mention that the epidural wore off... isnt it supposed to? Here at least, you will not get any drugs after you are fully dialeted. You have ti feel what is going on to be able to push...

I talked to a woman once who wanted a c section because she didnt want people to see her naked... i say as somone else here did. If you dont want to give birth, dont get pregnant. ...

Something we were purely designed for doesn't have to be so difficult! B)

The 1,000 plus women who died in 2012 from child birth may disagree with you.

Abortions are safer than child birth. Doesn't mean a non-medically licensed person should be looked to to oversee the procedure.

Sometimes, things do happen that require immediate action. IMO, it is taking a risk for the baby's life, your life and then also potentially your other children losing their mother.

Not worth it. Too many complications can happen during birthing that require immediate assistance.

So you had a good laugh at people who were in much more pain than yoy? Whatever makes you feel better i guess. ..

I had my first natural and will have this one naturally to unless there are complications. I have difficult / complicated pregnancies and a back injury that spasms between contractions and you bet i screamed bloody murder.

Just because you had an easy pregnancy and delivery does not mean that everyone is so lucky.

I see a lot of people mention that the epidural wore off... isnt it supposed to? Here at least, you will not get any drugs after you are fully dialeted. You have ti feel what is going on to be able to push...

I talked to a woman once who wanted a c section because she didnt want people to see her naked... i say as somone else here did. If you dont want to give birth, dont get pregnant. ...

Who should tell someone else what to do with their body? It isn't yours. They can do what they like with it.

It's funny. Everyone here advocates for the right to have an abortion but GOD FORBID someone choose to have a c section. You breeders are funny.

Age 28---first baby water broke at home first born,natural ,dry birth labor 10 hours, no probelms....for she came out screaming,thought all was okay....only to discover later she was born with CP, later discovered mentally handicapped, unkown reason only do know CP is caused by lack of oxgen Suspect sometime during labor ,it happened

If had known, beforehand i would have chosen c-section.

age 32--- second child difficult pregnancy came close to losing her, put on bed rest proplasped uterus ..she was laying right at the end ..water broke at home 2 weeks early labor 4 hoursthe pain in between contractions was awful , i almost broke my husband's hand... I knew something was wrong next thing rushed in to have an.emergency c-section.... baby was in distress. My blood pressure was near stroke level... baby had the cord around her neck refused to move,.

very lucky no brain damge, born with a high IQ.

How ironic .. to have one child suffer with CP natural birth, the other in distress,cord around her neck, c-section ,came out just fine..

after my second child was told , not to to get pregnant again, chances not good of carrying another child,.....

Okay with me only wanted two. Never did have any more.

Edited by Ann Wheeler

Yes they are suppose to wear off but they aren't suppose to quit working completely during labor. The drugs are to be tapered off when your closer to pushing. Which mine never did. They, with #1, shot 3 full syringes of epideral medicine into my spine and it FINALLY took effect in time to push. Even with my rt leg dead I was able to push effectively but couldn't feel a thing. With #2 the epideral did not work at all. I'm thinking its bc she was on a nerve the way she was positioned. They shot god knows what into my spine, epideral and I know some for of narcotics but wasn't told what. I was told there is nothing else they can do for me. I knew how to push and, lol got no instruction from the nurses. They watched me as they prepped the room. They delivered the baby. I refused to stop and wait on the dr. I hurt to bad and pushing made it go away.

One thing I hated was being confined to the bed. I was not allowed to walk around. But then again #1 was born in Germany at an army base and #2 was born in Chattanooga tn. 2 different places same experience with the epideral, they didn't work. So this time I think I will opt out and skip it. Don't want it to quit on me when I need it most.

Push for an OB/Midwife who will give you a second opinion on a VBAC. Don't make fear factor decisions, just see what your real options are before you let yourself "settle." You can only try :)

To add, I won't ever let anyone break my waters for me again either. It's not all that uncommon for it just not to break but it doesn't hurt anything, or necessarily slow down a labor process. My second one didn't even break, my son ended up being born WITH his water sac - which is even considered good luck ;)

You aren't stuck with a c-section again but (at least around here) you HAVE to have an OB do a VBAC delivery just in case. Truthfully, there is no way in heck I would try a VBAC NOT in a hospital with an OB present. If you do rupture and you have an OB present they can get you into surgery right away. If you are somewhere where you are not in the presence of an OB or in a surgical facility and you rupture. By the time you get to one you will be dead.

*my experiences*

kid #1, went in on my due date to be induced as my Dr didn't want me going longer cause I was measuring 42 weeks. He thought for sure I was nuts when I told him flat out I knew when I conceived. Know my body, knew when I ovulated and when we'd had sex. I knew for sure when I got knocked up. But he didn't really believe me. anyhoo, the induction didn't take so I went back in the next day for an ultrasound. Ultrasound tech said the baby was about 8lbs. As soon as it was over my water broke.

I went upstairs to the OB floor and with-in 30 minutes of my water breaking they had an IV in and had me on pitocin. That stuff is NASTY. I put me right into hard labor. I went from nothing to HARD contractions at the snap of a finger. I labored like that for 10 hours with nothing. I was in a small hospital and they don't have an anesthesiologist on staff so they don't do epidurals. So after 10 hours of pit induced hard labor I asked for drugs. They gave me morphine. We found out that Morphine does NOTHING for me lol. THAT sucked. 4 more hours of pit induced labor and I begged for more drugs.. something different cause the morphine didn't help. The one ***** nurse told me that I didn't know what I was talking about cause morphine was a good pain killer and gave me another shot of morphine. Again, didn't help.

By this time I was TIRED and I was also 21 so I didn't argue. Got another shot of morphine. Continue to labor, God awful, pit induced hard labor. Get down to hour 19 and the Dr was finally called in and after checking me he tells me that I can try and push the baby out naturally but from what he can feel he suspects the baby won't come naturally or we can just opt for a c-section. I told him I didn't want the section but I was SO tired from all that had happened so far that I just wanted it over. He suggests I try and push a few times, basically while he's got his hand in there, to see what he can feel and if he thinks it won't work we go for the section. I agreed. I pushed twice and he said the baby's head didnt move at all. So I was wisked away for a section.

They took him at 4:57 in the morning. I was completely knocked out, it was considered an emergency section. I don't remember holding him for the first time that morning. I don't remember anything till late that evening. I felt like I'd been run over by a mack truck. Turns out baby was 10 lbs, 22 inches and had a 14.5" head and chest. Average size on a babies head is 13". His head was coned out almost 4 inches when he was born from being jammed through the cervix till he got stuck.

Kid #2. I was bound and determined I was going to have a VBAC. NO. WAY. IN. H3LL. I was going to have another section. Like I said, here you HAVE to go to an OB if you want to have a VBAC. So I found an OB and went to him. Right from the get go he was telling me I HAD to have a section. VBAC wasn't an option for me. I asked why and his reasoning.. "babies get bigger each time". I called bull spit on that one and refused to consider another section. I went back to my family dr and got a referal to an OB in the city at a BIG hospital.

Go to that OB and he sat down with me and my ex for almost an hour. I had to take all the paperwork from my pre-natal stuff and L/D with #1. He went over all that with us and told me I had been diagnosed with (lets see if I can butcher the spelling lol) cepalphalic disproportion.. which means while my a$$ is big enough to have babies my pelvis isn't. He told me my chances of having baby #2 natural was 15%. Again, I was measuring 2 weeks farther along then I was.

I went home, did a bit of research and the next time I went back to my original OB we set a day for my section. He was shocked at my sudden change of heart and asked why I changed my mind. I told him I got a second opinion on the VBAC and that OB had given me facts as to why it wouldn't work.

Come time for baby #2, I picked my delivery to be 2 weeks before my due date. The last month I was pregnant I was having major braxton hicks contractions. Two weeks before my section I was on the phone with a girl friend and after about 45 minutes of gabbing she asked if I was timing my contractions. I told her no, she says "well they are every 5 minutes you need to call the dr". So I did, went in and sure enough I was in labor. They put me on meds to stop it. Told me that once they stopped it the would give me a few hours on the meds so I could relax and get some sleep. Then they were going to take me off them and if my labor started up again they would just take him the next day.

Yep.. labor stopped then started up again. So It was all set for teh next day. Section #2.. HOLY CRAP.. totally different. I had a spinal so I was awake for it. Argued with the dr whiile he was taking the baby out. I wanted a hystroectomy and he said no cause I was only 26. Would tie my tubes but no spaying me. I got to see my baby as soon as he was born, got to hold him while I was in recovery. I was up and walking about 6 hours after he was born. Shoot, I went for a 5 mile ride 2 weeks after he was born I felt so good. Baby was only 9lbs and 20 inches second time around but was also 3 1/2 weeks early. He had a 14 1/4" head and 14 1/2" chest. So if I could have got his head out his chest would have been stuck most likely.

I decided after #2 that if for some reason I were to ever get PG again. I wouldn't hesitate to have another c-section. Without all that nasty labor before My body wasn't run through the ringer before hand. My nurses were amazed at how well I was up and moving after the section. I had one.. loved her she was awesome. She asked me if I would give the rest of the moms on the floor a "pep talk" about getting up and moving. There were 3 other Mothers that all delivered naturally and she said they were the biggest babies. Refused to get up and move ect. I laughed and said sure. But she didn't let me... :( lol

If I had to do it again, I would go for the section in a heart beat.

Edited by journeysgirl

Education is key here and you really can't leave it up to a hospital to teach you the things you need to know. Research, reasonable conclusion and confidence will get you through a happy, healthy childbirth. Something we were purely designed for doesn't have to be so difficult! B)

Hear hear! It is not about which sort of birth you choose (although elective c-sections still blow my mind) it is about making EDUCATED decisions.

The 1,000 plus women who died in 2012 from child birth may disagree with you.

Not worth it. Too many complications can happen during birthing that require immediate assistance.

Plenty of evidence, written and anecdotal, that shows that a good portion of maternal deaths never had to happen, that unnecessary interventions are actually FACTORS in maternal and infant deaths.

There is no other way to explain the inordinate success rate of well-trained midwives versus conventional, non-high-risk hospital births.

It is really too bad that most doctors and nurses are ONLY given medical training but have no real clue what a real, natural, non-intervening birth looks like and what a woman's body is actually capable of doing all on her own in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Why? Because it might hurt less? I guess if you prefer the risks of major abdominal surgery that's your choice, but I can't wrap my head around it.

In any case, to the OP, I think there are some middle grounds to be had on the childbirth thing. A lot of the interventions that hospitals use were developed to save lives. Augmenting oxytocin with pitocin - may have been instrumental in helping along labors that really were going too long (say the water broke and labor was looking to last over 24 hours or something).

My experience was that there definitely is a mentality that normal labor should not go on too long. If you've been there a while and not progressed, they do want to do things to try and move it along. I agreed to this out of exhaustion and only realized later that having my water broken manually (to try and speed things up) was really a bad choice. He ended up crooked, in distress, etc. I wasn't allowed to move and all the pain got much more unbearable. Then his heart rate started dropping and they prepped me for a c-section.

This is where there is a grey area - I had not progressed very far at that point. But when I got the epidural and was able to relax, I progressed all the rest of the way to pushing in the space of an hour (I had been laboring for around 20 hours at that point). I had been very adamant about not wanting the epidural, but in case of surgery was really going to need it in place.

If I had to do it over I think I'd say no to the initial intervention. I have no way to prove it but I think everything went downhill from that point, when it had been totally normal (long, but normal) beforehand.

But at the same time, once you're *in* that position, some interventions can be helpful. I think if I had not gotten the epidural, the exhaustion and frustration and everything I was feeling was really making it harder to relax and allow things to progress.

Basically- to everything its time. I think ultimately it has to be up to mothers to choose things, but I do think a lot of people aren't fully educated about the ramifications of their choices. Things like pitocin are so standard now they barely ask people if they want it - if a woman isn't educated about it, she's going to end up on it without understanding how much worse it can make the pain or the other "snowball effects" it can sometimes cause. And a lot of folks don't understand the effects on the baby of the various interventions (including that undergoing active labor seems to help them breathe better when they come out, and also has a much higher success rate for breastfeeding initiation)

So basically - I think there's a middle ground. And in retrospect, I don't think my doctor was pushing for a c section for money or for any other reason, I think she was legitimately concerned at that point (she was "on" that night in the maternity ward and would be working another 12 hours whether we delivered or not). But I also think the medicalization of childbirth has become so standard it's hard for them to deviate from what they feel is a normal progression.

we don't have kids (by choice), but i have occasionally wondered why--as touched on already by one poster here--why they haven't conceived (haha) of a way for women to deliver standing up. wouldn't gravity do a lot to help the process :questionicon: (and the doctor or midwife can lay down with a catcher's mitt :lol: ).

maybe it requires too much in the way of awkward positioning of the attending medical staff or is there a procedural reason?

i have one friend who had her first child by c-section six years ago. her husband who is not faint of heart had been allowed to watch and described the process to us :twitch: and :sick: , and my husband who IS just about keeled over.

I was supposed to return some books from my DIL to our mutual doula friend, and ended up reading about half of them myself, lol! "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" was an real eye-opener even after I had already seen "The Business of Being Born."

I will say, there are two sides to every story. The Business of Being Born has some good info, but is also VERY slanted and sometimes misleading. Here is a great blog onthe subject, from a doula:

http://whatifsandfears.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-business-of-being-misled.html

It also has to be pointed out that if you compare birth outcomes here and in places like, say, sweden, the real big huge difference is nationalized/public health care. I think we have more bad outcomes simply because our health care system is set up so that there are significant numbers of women not getting adequate prenatal care and health care themselves. That's a whole big area that needs to be studied. It's not just hospital practices that are the problem but the expense and access to adequate care (not just for ob/gyn but for general health care, leading to higher rates of obesity, diabetes, and other health problems).

Additionally infant mortality statistics are often gathered in different ways in different countries (some places do not count the deaths of pre-term infants, or only count within a certain number of days of birth, etc - so the rate quoted in the US may actually not be comparable to the rate quoted in some other country as the information may have been gathered very differently)

maybe it requires too much in the way of awkward positioning of the attending medical staff or is there a procedural reason?

It's awkward for the medical staff, and once a woman has had various interventions/pain management, she may not actually be able to get off her back (epidurals numb your legs, for example)

It's awkward for the medical staff, and once a woman has had various interventions/pain management, she may not actually be able to get off her back (epidurals numb your legs, for example)

what you said in your first post was my case too. My water broke and the hospital wants you to deliver with-in 24 hours due to risk of infection. What they don't tell you is that if your water breaks and you don't have nurses jamming their hands in there every 30 minutes checking your progress the risk of infection is nil. It's when they start introducing outside germs that the risk goes up.

I was never given the chance to labor normally with my first. #2 like I said, I was having contractions and they were getting pretty intense before they stopped my labor. Shoot, I could have went drug free through the whole thing had I not had the pit drip and been thrown into hard labor with no warning (so to speak).

In my case too.. as for the gravity thing. Once your water breaks they don't want you up moving around (in the hospital I was in) either for fear of fluid getting on the floor and you slipping and falling and getting hurt. I did throw a fit and was let out of bed and got to pace around my room once we figured out that when I stood up the babies head plugged the hole and no fluid came out.

Exactly why intervening measures such as epidural are often far more hindering than helpful. Gravity plays a HUGE PART in childbirth. One can learn to work WITH your body or just go ahead and lay against it. There are also awesome natural forms of pain reduction that women can learn and really work, but seldom are even aware of such things.

I think ultimately it has to be up to mothers to choose things, but I do think a lot of people aren't fully educated about the ramifications of their choices.

Exactly.

we don't have kids (by choice), but i have occasionally wondered why--as touched on already by one poster here--why they haven't conceived (haha) of a way for women to deliver standing up. wouldn't gravity do a lot to help the process :questionicon: (and the doctor or midwife can lay down with a catcher's mitt :lol: ).

Because medical staff are taught that women labor and deliver semi-recumbent, which is actually a very difficult way to give birth. Good birth attendants know full well that gravity is an essential factor, as is the mother's feeling safe enough to relax, or knowing HOW to relax and let her body do it's thing.

I will say, there are two sides to every story. The Business of Being Born has some good info, but is also VERY slanted and sometimes misleading.

Oh, no doubt. There is never any truly unbiased documentaries out there, it is true that one much take everything with a grain of salt. Some things, however, are just plain fact...like the statistics on interventions and maternal/infant death rates.

ETA: thanks for the link, will be reading it, for sure.

Exactly why intervening measures such as epidural are often far more hindering than helpful. Gravity plays a HUGE PART in childbirth. One can learn to work WITH your body or just go ahead and lay against it. There are also awesome natural forms of pain reduction that women can learn and really work, but seldom are even aware of such things.

Well, yeah, what she said, lol!

Edited by Greenhaven

you can not compare an abortion to a c section... alot of abortions are purely medical, and the remaining are non invasive procedures... a c section is full abdominal surgery.

if someone is going to spend tax payers money or incurance company money (that raises the rates for everyone else) on something, i would rather it be the right to decide to not have a child they feel uncomfortable having than being worried about how their whoha will look afterwards or who will see them nekkid... if you decide to have a baby, you have already decided what will happen to your body. a c section is something that should be done when the mother or child is in danger.

i gave birth laying/sitting, but alot of women i know have given birth standing on their knees, leaning on the head board of the hospital bed. they say that gravity helps them.

my first birth i went purely on instinct, doing what felt natural and i will do the same with this one. whatever feels right will be done. our bodies know alot more than our mind give them credit for ;)