MiSSxZURi

Pregnancy/labor/delivery!

My daughter in law located a wonderful midwife, both she and my son met and approved of her yesterday! They also felt confident enough in her experience to decide to have a home birth, and they are both very, very excited.

That surprised me, I was sure they were going to opt for a hospital birth. They are very close to medical facilities in case a emergency should arise.

Plus, the child's due date hovers right around my husband's birthday. Guess what I get to listen to for the next eight months, lol!

Oh jeez lol and if it's a boy it will be even worse! :lol:

That's AWESOME though! Congrats to them for sure. Is she going to do water at all? The biggest reason I opted for that was because hot water is WONDERS on labor pain, especially in the lower back. It's also said being born through the water is a simple but kind transition from womb to world for baby. I kinda put merit in that, it's nice to consider.

When I was in labor with Brooke for 3 days, I spent the majority of my time in the tub with the jets blowing the hot water on me.

Felt so good when the contractions hit .

Blondy- though I rarely agree with you, I will say that I appreciate that you are able to keep emotions out of it. That's the key to a good debate. People need to realize that no matter how ridiculous your side may seem, they have no right to call you names and degrade you.

Again, while I'm not saying I agree with you, I can appreciate that you do provide an interesting side to most debates! If an adult is going to get so worked up over something you write on a forum, that's their problem.

That's AWESOME though! Congrats to them for sure. Is she going to do water at all? The biggest reason I opted for that was because hot water is WONDERS on labor pain, especially in the lower back. It's also said being born through the water is a simple but kind transition from womb to world for baby. I kinda put merit in that, it's nice to consider.

She is definitely considering it, especially because the midwife has a pool, and will come set it up and take it back down again, lol! She likes the idea...but she has a lot of time, still, to make certain decisions.

Blondy- though I rarely agree with you, I will say that I appreciate that you are able to keep emotions out of it. That's the key to a good debate. People need to realize that no matter how ridiculous your side may seem, they have no right to call you names and degrade you.

Again, while I'm not saying I agree with you, I can appreciate that you do provide an interesting side to most debates! If an adult is going to get so worked up over something you write on a forum, that's their problem.

:notworthy:

I think we all at some point lose our tempers and say things that we should not say. For instance, in this very thread I did say some mean things about a group of people that I should not have. I felt that they were talking about the people who work in the health care field in a negative light and I did let it get the best of me..I apologized and moved on.

However, it seems to be that the same people keep calling other people negative names, simply because of what they believe in, based on their own experiences and/or belief system. As I said, I could see if someone did it every now and again, but it is always the same people saying personal, mean things to someone else on here. It's not just me they do it to. It's Token girl, as well as some others.

It's sad the kind of cruel words that will come out of someone's mouth just because someone on an internet bulletin board believes a certain way. To be honest, I feel kind of sad for them. The type of the person to do that is typically your people who do not have control of their own lives, so they like to try and humilulate (SP) others from the safety of their homes, behind their computers.

Thank you for bringing it up and while I myself have thick skin due to many years of verbal abuse, there are many in the internet world who do not have a lot of friends or social skills, who are the emotional type and use the internet as sort of a coping mechanism. I have seen the "lynch mob" mentality done on these type of people and they essentially drive them off the board. Who knows what mean words that others speak/type do to those who are more emotionally fragile.

Anytime I see this I try to e-mail/message the person to let them know it happens a lot, do not take it personal, etc. but advice can only be given and it doesn't mean it is taken to heart.

Anyways, back to the regular scheduled programming.

She is definitely considering it, especially because the midwife has a pool, and will come set it up and take it back down again, lol! She likes the idea...but she has a lot of time, still, to make certain decisions.

I am sure it has already been discussed but make sure the pool is cleaned with a very good disinfectant.

Some of the midwives tend to stick so much on the "natural" side of things, that I would hate for them not to use something strong enough to kill bacteria, such as MRSA.

I do not know much about midwife thing and how they operate, but it is just a helpful suggestion.

I was in natural labor (not induced) for twelve hours and then had a C-section. I got the best of both worlds, LOL!

I looked into a midwife, but I'm glad I didn't try it. It turned out that I needed a hospital facility because of the C-section. Our little boy was never in distress but they called it because of the time it took and his heart rate started to climb. I didn't use any pain medication and toughed it out until it was obvious something was wrong. My husband was impressed that I never made any noises except breathing and a little grunting (it was a little embarrassing afterwards, but at the time, I didn't care). Of course, they did a block for the C-section but I was awake and ready to meet him. :happy0203:

Personally, I'd be scared to induce labor because you may not be lactating when the baby is born. I am a little offended about people opting for convenient induction of labor. If you need it for medical reasons, thank goodness it's available. For convenience? Yikes!

Edited by Little Cow

I am sure it has already been discussed but make sure the pool is cleaned with a very good disinfectant.

Reasonable advice, thank you. I will pass it on.

Personally, I'd be scared to induce labor because you may not be lactating when the baby is born.

I am not sure why I never thought about that. I would think...well...I dunno. I guess I think that delivery induces lactation, even if it sudden and abrupt. Maybe it just takes a little longer. I know I had colostrum for several weeks before I delivered; mares sometimes do, too.

Interesting question, think I will check it out.

Found this article, was very good:

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/breastfeeding-after-a-cesarean

It makes total sense, and reminds me that I did know the answer to Little Cow's question...unbeknownst to me, lol!

It is breast-feeding that actually stimulates the production of true milk, a self-perpetuating situation.

This article brings up another important point that I don't think we have mentioned on this thread yet, and that is the mindset of a mother who deeply desired a natural birth but needed a cesarean. Many feel like they "failed" at birth, even if they acknowledge that all that really matters is a safe and healthy delivery of mother and child. The article points out that in such cases mothers who want to breastfeed my feel like they will "fail" at that, too.

I think it is very, very important to be careful and not inadvertently make sectioned mothers feel judged or like a "failure." In this way, too, I think it is important to address these sorts of issues before a mother arrives at a place where she has to face a section. That was one of the things that made me feel really oogie at the end of The Business of Being Born. Ms. Lake kept asking a mother who had to have an true, emergency c-section if she felt "cheated" out of the birth experience she wanted. Well, sure...ask an exhausted new mother that question enough times and she will start to feel she did, even if she didn't initially.

This link is from a blog I love, which is really about homesteading, but she was so very open about her birth experience, and since it is so relevant to the conversation I decided to post it here.

If anybody is wondering, she had a natural birth experience in the hospital and delivered by a midwife. If only every hospital were as understanding of a mother's desires regarding her birth plan:

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/11/prairie-boys-birth-story-a-natural-hospital-birth-part-one.html

I too was able to BF my babies easily after each section. Only took 2 and a half days for my Milk to come in.

This here is me...

This article brings up another important point that I don't think we have mentioned on this thread yet, and that is the mindset of a mother who deeply desired a natural birth but needed a cesarean. Many feel like they "failed" at birth, even if they acknowledge that all that really matters is a safe and healthy delivery of mother and child.

It still bothers me, makes me feel like I failed as a woman...but I am (trying ) moving forward and enjoying my children!

Edited by Flying Stars

My sister had a planned C-section on her due date because of a previous dangerous delivery. She loved it.

My daughters all loved it in there and had to be coaxed out with pitocin. I think they were pretty hard labors but ive had 5 pregnancies and i've never gone into labor on my own. My stillborn son was the longest labor. We knew he was gone and it went on for over 24 hours. They wanted to do a c-sect but I refused. He was delivered after 33 hours. I truly think my body was hanging on to him as long as it could.

My doctor is awesome and the nursing staff at our small town hospital is stellar. Only thing I had to complain about is when Jesse was due ( we had a planned induction for fear that he was going to be really big .. he wasnt) they put me in the same room that I delivered my stillborn son in. Dano freaked out and said NO WAY are we going back in there. They promptly moved us and were very apologetic.

I've had great hospital birthing experiences.

I was in natural labor (not induced) for twelve hours and then had a C-section. I got the best of both worlds, LOL!

I looked into a midwife, but I'm glad I didn't try it. It turned out that I needed a hospital facility because of the C-section. Our little boy was never in distress but they called it because of the time it took and his heart rate started to climb. I didn't use any pain medication and toughed it out until it was obvious something was wrong. My husband was impressed that I never made any noises except breathing and a little grunting (it was a little embarrassing afterwards, but at the time, I didn't care). Of course, they did a block for the C-section but I was awake and ready to meet him. :happy0203:

Personally, I'd be scared to induce labor because you may not be lactating when the baby is born. I am a little offended about people opting for convenient induction of labor. If you need it for medical reasons, thank goodness it's available. For convenience? Yikes!

I never had a problem with my milk coming in after induction. My 3rd daughter was tongue-tied and that was a nursing challenge! The first couple weeks of her life were spent in the lazyboy with both of us bawling our heads off. Finally father-in-law tells us that my ex was tongue-tied at birth and we checked into it. My doctor would not clip it .. she was very into natural resolutions but Julieanne just could not latch. I found another doctor that would clip. It was so easy it literally took 5 seconds in the office and she didnt even cry. Made all the difference in the world. Went home to a perfectly happy baby. I could not have been happier.

I didn't have an issue with my milk coming in after my csection, I had plenty of milk, baby was just not patient enough for let down after being bottle fed right away and would scream and cry and work herself up, which only prolonged let down since I was stressed to begin with. Other than some tough times because of that, after the first few months everything was going great, although they were concerned with my daughters growth, but were using the same chart as formula fed babies, so I was reassured by a bunch of moms who had the same thing happen, that it is normal and as long as she was thriving and happy everything was ok, she doesn't need to be in the 98th percentile. I was surprised to learn that there are a lot of medical professionals, OB's, nurses, pediatricians, etc, that are really not well educated about breastfeeding and lactation. The answer always seemed to be, oh you must not be producing enough milk so start formula, or start supplementing with formula when she is fussy, or the like. After talking with people who specialize in breastfeeding, lactation, and nutrition it made my eyes open, I was getting bad advice, their intentions were noble, they just didn't know. After that I had no problems whatsoever with BFing and was able to until my daughter recently self weaned at just over a year.

I didn't have an issue with my milk coming in after my csection, I had plenty of milk, baby was just not patient enough for let down after being bottle fed right away and would scream and cry and work herself up, which only prolonged let down since I was stressed to begin with. Other than some tough times because of that, after the first few months everything was going great, although they were concerned with my daughters growth, but were using the same chart as formula fed babies, so I was reassured by a bunch of moms who had the same thing happen, that it is normal and as long as she was thriving and happy everything was ok, she doesn't need to be in the 98th percentile. I was surprised to learn that there are a lot of medical professionals, OB's, nurses, pediatricians, etc, that are really not well educated about breastfeeding and lactation. The answer always seemed to be, oh you must not be producing enough milk so start formula, or start supplementing with formula when she is fussy, or the like. After talking with people who specialize in breastfeeding, lactation, and nutrition it made my eyes open, I was getting bad advice, their intentions were noble, they just didn't know. After that I had no problems whatsoever with BFing and was able to until my daughter recently self weaned at just over a year.

There is a program through the State of MN that tracks kids growth and provides free well child checkups. You have to sign up with a county RN. She basically flipped out on me the first time she saw & weighed Jesse. He was a squirt .. still is. I felt very insulted at the time. Her suggestion was for me to quit nursing all together and formula feed. I promptly made an appointment with our family doctor. Our Doc says Jesse is 100% healthy and normal. He is tall and thin for his age but that is better than starting out life obese.

I got a lot of flack from a lot of family and friends over my first daughter and Jesse because they were both small kids. I had to learn to not let it bother me because in my heart I knew they were perfectly healthy kids.

I agree about the OB dept. I was lucky enough to have one of the RNs at the hospital who was also a lactation consultant. (Which I think they all should be). I had to state in my birth plan paperwork that I didnt want my babes bottle fed under any circumstances. With every birth there was that one nurse who desperately wanted me to give my kids a bottle. I think things are getting a little more progressive on the BFing issue.

I agree about the OB dept. I was lucky enough to have one of the RNs at the hospital who was also a lactation consultant. (Which I think they all should be). I had to state in my birth plan paperwork that I didnt want my babes bottle fed under any circumstances. With every birth there was that one nurse who desperately wanted me to give my kids a bottle. I think things are getting a little more progressive on the BFing issue.

Things are definitely getting better, and I think the slight increases in breastfeeding rates are showing that. At the hospital where I went, if you said you were planning on breastfeeding, they enacted all the best practices to support it. If you said you were BFing: they would not give you the gift bags with formula samples, rooming-in with the baby was standard, and clear signs were posted on the bassinet that NO formula was to be given. They also automatically scheduled you for twice daily LC visits. I think policies like that are getting more common.

But it's a total shame how little time is spent on lactation by doctors and nurses - I mean, we're mammals, it's a defining aspect of our species. It's the primary, biologically normal means of sustaining an infant for their first year, you'd think doctors would try to learn more about it!

Same thing happened to me, the pediatrician I had was very very concerned about my daughers growth, she is little, but I am only 5'4, and I was little as a baby. They don't take that into consideration though. As a first time mom, they were literally scaring me and now I feel they were making me worry for no reason (which can also affect milk production, hmmm) I set up an appointment with a nutritionist who is also a lactation consultant, and she was not concerned at all, same thing happened with her daughter, who is still below the charts in growth, but she is only 5'1, so you'd think it would only be natural that her daughter would also be petite. I got good advice about eating healthier and for the most nutritious milk for baby, and my daughter is a happy and healthy little 16 month old.

Things are definitely getting better, and I think the slight increases in breastfeeding rates are showing that. At the hospital where I went, if you said you were planning on breastfeeding, they enacted all the best practices to support it. If you said you were BFing: they would not give you the gift bags with formula samples, rooming-in with the baby was standard, and clear signs were posted on the bassinet that NO formula was to be given. They also automatically scheduled you for twice daily LC visits. I think policies like that are getting more common.

But it's a total shame how little time is spent on lactation by doctors and nurses - I mean, we're mammals, it's a defining aspect of our species. It's the primary, biologically normal means of sustaining an infant for their first year, you'd think doctors would try to learn more about it!

I couldn't agree more! I was able to speak with a lactation consultant twice during my 4 day stay, otherwise I was left on my own basically. There were a few helpful nurses, but the majority were almost pushing me to just give a bottle. There are a lot of things that I am learning about the foods we eat, and I am thinking of going as much organic as I can the more I learn. Both my family and my husbands family has a history of obesity, formula feeding is a contributing factor in obesity later in life, I just want to give my daughter the best start possible, and teach her healthy eating from the beginning and hopefully she won't need to constantly battle weight. Not knocking formula feeding, its a personal choice, and it sure would have been nice to get that support right away in the hospital. Baby cries for more than just food, sometimes comfort is needed, and it is perfectly natural to let baby use your breast as a pacifier, and from what I have learned, if you just shove a bottle in their mouth for everything, it is no wonder people have a problem with comfort eating...

I'm glad you ladies had no trouble. Many women face induced labor if they had a C-section with their first child and the OB recommends against waiting until natural labor.

Our son was tongue tied. We had to go to a childrens hospital toget it snipped. He was two months old and a happy chubby little boy despite the fact that he had to nurse every hour because it was so much work. It was a rough first few months but I was stubborn about getting him enough to eat. I was so thankful when i slept past three hours straight.

My oldest was tongue tied. I never knew that would affect BF'ing. He was also 10lbs at birth. But I used to nurse him for an hour plus then he'd be fine for an hour or so then be hungry again. I ended up giving up on BF'ing after about 6 weeks. I thought I didn't produce enough milk even though he was growing fine. Now maybe it was more to do with the tongue tied. My 2nd though. OMG, that poor kid like to nearly got drowned every time I nursed. I actually kept my pump set up cause everytime I nursed him I was pumping off the other side at the same time. Other wise it would just squirt everywhere. I nursed for 12 weeks and had enough milk froze to feed breast milk for another 12. Yep. I was a total milk cow when it came to that. When he was a new born, I could pump 10-12 oz off the one he wasn't using, then after he was full I could pump 4-6 oz off the one he did use.

when he was a month old I stopped pumping. I knew that it was a supply/demand thing with milk production. It didn't help. I would just walk around with it streaming out. So I just decided to keep doing what I was doing and freeze it. Funny enough, when I decided that trying to pump while at work was a right royal PITA and that I was done BF'ing. I dried right up. Never got engorged or anything like that. Two days of not pumping/nursing and my milk was all gone.

ETA: being induced the first time nor having a scheduled section the second time around made a difference in my milk coming in.

Edited by journeysgirl

I had a ton of trouble, with the c section and PCOS I had basically zero supply. We tried just about everything with the lactation consultants, but on the 2nd night when my husband and I were going on 48 hours without sleep and a little girl who would NOT stop crying because she was hungry we practically had to beg for some formula. My husband was ready to drive to the store and get some if they would not provide it. Yes, I had intended on breast feeding, but it just was NOT working. Could not get a latch... pumped and pumped and pumped and NOTHING. We fed with a syringe, and also with a SNS. MY milk came in almost 7 days later. I was able to get a 2-3 ounces a day until she was about 6 weeks old. I had to pump every 2-3 hours 24 hours a day... and eventually I was exhausted and slept through the night and after that my supply dropped to nothing. So, I felt like a double failure because neither the birth experience or feeding her were what I had intended, but luckily she flourished, and that's all that matters now.

The hospital I delivered at almost pushes breast feeding it might be bc the head nurse is also a lactation consultant.....every time I had trouble getting the breast feeding thing any nurse I buzzed in was very helpful in getting a latch and any other question I had.....

Also we had our one month dr appt and my five week old is a whopping twelve pounds and the dr. said he is perfectly ok and she is also a breast feeding advocate

My oldest was tongue tied. I never knew that would affect BF'ing. He was also 10lbs at birth. But I used to nurse him for an hour plus then he'd be fine for an hour or so then be hungry again. I ended up giving up on BF'ing after about 6 weeks. I thought I didn't produce enough milk even though he was growing fine. Now maybe it was more to do with the tongue tied. My 2nd though. OMG, that poor kid like to nearly got drowned every time I nursed. I actually kept my pump set up cause everytime I nursed him I was pumping off the other side at the same time. Other wise it would just squirt everywhere. I nursed for 12 weeks and had enough milk froze to feed breast milk for another 12. Yep. I was a total milk cow when it came to that. When he was a new born, I could pump 10-12 oz off the one he wasn't using, then after he was full I could pump 4-6 oz off the one he did use.

when he was a month old I stopped pumping. I knew that it was a supply/demand thing with milk production. It didn't help. I would just walk around with it streaming out. So I just decided to keep doing what I was doing and freeze it. Funny enough, when I decided that trying to pump while at work was a right royal PITA and that I was done BF'ing. I dried right up. Never got engorged or anything like that. Two days of not pumping/nursing and my milk was all gone.

ETA: being induced the first time nor having a scheduled section the second time around made a difference in my milk coming in.

Being tongue tied can very much affect nursing. Babies do not really suck (I'm sure you know this).. they more massage/stimulate under the nipple. If they can't get that tongue out very far a good latch, good contact, and stimulation is almost impossible. I would bet that was your trouble with the first babe. Like I said with my daughter it was night and day difference. She went from fussing continuously and needing to nurse every hour to sleeping a good 4-6 hours at a time with a nice full belly. At one point before I knew what the problem was my LC suggested I express and feed her with a spoon. That was fun .. let me tell ya.

Hey LittleCow .. when your son was clipped did they put him under? My cousin's son was TT and she had to see a pediatrician at our children's hospital. They full on sedated little Ryan! I could NOT believe it. When she heard about how easy Juliee's went she almost cried. It's amazing the differences between doctors.

No, they didn't. We took him to a pediatric ENT first and he wanted to do full sedation when he was 3 months old. I didn't want to wait that long and sure as heck didn't want to not feed my child for 7 hours straight so he could be put under (not to mention the risks of anesthesia).

I called Wolfson's Childrens Hospital and the pediatrician did it by using a papoose and a local numbing shot. Then, she clipped the tongue and handed him to me to nurse. He cried a little but was happy once he started nursing and never looked back. If this comes up in anyone's family, contact a major childrens hospital in your area to see if they will do it with a local.