MiSSxZURi

Pregnancy/labor/delivery!

Sooty but I fail to see how gravity would have a significant effect. The baby is in there snug as a bug in a rug.

Kinda sounds like the asinine theory that if a girl is on top, she can't get pregnant because of gravity. 0.o

soooo... you deny the existence of the law of gravity? :twitch:

if you have a bag that contains a bowlingball and a hole in the bag, is it easier to get the ball out of the bag with the hole pointing upwards, sideways or downwards?

there is a reason why noone gives birth standing on their head.

Did you ever have something stuck in a box or bag that you couldn't get out because it was stuck, so you turned the box upside down to let gravity help pull it out, and low and behold it does?

Kinda like that, except, the body is also working and pushing to get the baby out, so it has even more help. If you're in labor, the baby isn't "snug as a bug in a rug", it's already getting shoved out the door!

(That knowledge? Comes not from having kids [i have none], nor from any medical related training or classes. It come from basic science class way back when, when they first taught us that stuff when we were still kids.) :blink::duh:

Sooty but I fail to see how gravity would have a significant effect. The baby is in there snug as a bug in a rug.

Kinda sounds like the asinine theory that if a girl is on top, she can't get pregnant because of gravity. 0.o

That "theory" was made up by college freshmen boys who want to lay as many dumb sorority sisters as they can.

Gravity pulls everything straight down. If you birth on your back, your birth canals are not pointing downward, but rather 'out' ward and therefore changes the course the baby has to travel to get out. When my daughter got 'stuck on my pelvis' it was due to this and she was birthed posterior as a result. WORST birthing pain! With my son, I leaned my front over the side of my large inflated pool and let him come right out. It was an elevated 'hands and knees' position and it took the stress, pressure, weights off all the WRONG organs and points of the body and placed them in the right ones.

One of the reasons for "failure to progress" situations is the lack of proper engagement of the baby's head against the cervix. skjotta's ball-in-a-bag analogy is an excellent one. It is not at all the same as your quoted theory which is, indeed, asinine, of course.

:blink:

You're not serious, are you?? :duh:

Here is a little something to read to inform yourself of what you clearly do not know.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyblog/2012/01/best-birthing-positions/

When my daughter got 'stuck on my pelvis' it was due to this and she was birthed posterior as a result. WORST birthing pain!

I think this was how my 2nd was born. Because nothing helped my pain except pushing. This time arounds gonna be different.

Thought of something else, too. Gravity (and hormones) is what causes a cervix to begin thinning and dilating before contractions even start.

I am surprised we have to explain this to someone in the medical field.

Then again, maybe not.

For me, my epidural didn't wear off, it outright fell out, and I was going through transition, I was dilated to 10 and she was face up. Had I not had an epidural, had I not just labored for 18 hours of pitocin induced incredibly painful labor and exhausted, I probably would have like to move around a bit to get her unstuck, or her position changed a little at least. But I was exhausted at that point, and the pain from constant contractions and the incredible pressure of her head pushing against my pelvic and tail bones was unbearable. I just wanted her out. If I could do it all over I would have opted to wait to go into labor naturally.

I will definitely look into vbac.

I would never choose a c section, its a major surgery, they are opening your abdominal cavity and messing around with your insides. Without going into detail, I had intestinal issues afterwards, caused by c section. Normal vaginal deliveries are what is best for the womans body and the babys body. one benefit of vaginal delivery for the baby is that fluids in the lungs are essentially squeezed out and they are less likely to have pulmonary distress, or breathing problems. They are able to breast feed straight away so have higher success rates there, healthier babies. I had to wait over an hour to breastfeed my LO afterwards, the dumb nurses took it upon themselves to give her formula while I was recovering, so when I got to see her after recovery, she was not hungry, she didn't even want to try. And I still blame my breastfeeding troubles on them giving her formula right away, despite my wishes that she not ever get formula. Despite my setbacks though, with a little work and patience (she would get fussy waiting for letdown and scream), I went on to BF for over a year, until she recently self weaned. But that is a whole different topic...

But trust me, I was concerned with people seeing me naked in all my glory, modesty goes completely out the window when your only concern is getting baby out.

Edited by Smokum

Never could understand why hospitals and all their little tin gods and goddesses think they are so much smarter than nature. They may be pretty handy to have around in an emergency (as they should be), but when things are going along properly, they really need to just sit back out of the way and allow things to proceed.

For me, my epidural didn't wear off, it outright fell out, and I was going through transition, I was dilated to 10 and she was face up. Had I not had an epidural, had I not just labored for 18 hours of pitocin induced incredibly painful labor and exhausted, I probably would have like to move around a bit to get her unstuck, or her position changed a little at least. But I was exhausted at that point, and the pain from constant contractions and the incredible pressure of her head pushing against my pelvic and tail bones was unbearable. I just wanted her out. If I could do it all over I would have opted to wait to go into labor naturally.

I will definitely look into vbac.

I would never choose a c section, its a major surgery, they are opening your abdominal cavity and messing around with your insides. Without going into detail, I had intestinal issues afterwards, caused by c section. Normal vaginal deliveries are what is best for the womans body and the babys body. one benefit of vaginal delivery for the baby is that fluids in the lungs are essentially squeezed out and they are less likely to have pulmonary distress, or breathing problems. They are able to breast feed straight away so have higher success rates there, healthier babies. I had to wait over an hour to breastfeed my LO afterwards, the dumb nurses took it upon themselves to give her formula while I was recovering, so when I got to see her after recovery, she was not hungry, she didn't even want to try. And I still blame my breastfeeding troubles on them giving her formula right away, despite my wishes that she not ever get formula. Despite my setbacks though, with a little work and patience (she would get fussy waiting for letdown and scream), I went on to BF for over a year, until she recently self weaned. But that is a whole different topic...

But trust me, I was concerned with people seeing me naked in all my glory, modesty goes completely out the window when your only concern is getting baby out.

And THIS is exactly why all the "dumb nurses and doctors" (who go through lots of education and training) sometimes have to do the things they do. If they let you stand up and push your slippery spawns out and the baby accidentally hit the floor, they would be blamed for that too.

If they are so dumb, while call them when your laying on the floor with a heart attack?

Then why aren't more of you staying at home and birthing your child like a cow???

lol really? So, allowing nature to take its course and feeling comfortable and relaxed during childbirth means we must be like that of the bovine variety? Ha! Okay then, I'm happy to be comparable to a cow. Or a horse! Or a goat, or whatever other animal usually doesn't need foreign tools and self righteous 'medical professionals' help birthing their babies on the regular. You know what, ish happens every day in any situation, such is life, but there's no way comparing my spectacular educated decision to opt for TRUE nature is actually a bad thing, thank you very much ;)

And THIS is exactly why all the "dumb nurses and doctors" (who go through lots of education and training) sometimes have to do the things they do. If they let you stand up and push your slippery spawns out and the baby accidentally hit the floor, they would be blamed for that too.

If they are so dumb, while call them when your laying on the floor with a heart attack?

I think a great deal of the posts made have acknowledged a hospitals rightful place in certain situations. Nobody is silly enough to try causing a doctor flack for treating a heartattack. The issue here is improper medical intervention when all we're trying to do is deliver a baby, and how their routine practices get in the way of this.

Never could understand why hospitals and all their little tin gods and goddesses think they are so much smarter than nature. They may be pretty handy to have around in an emergency (as they should be), but when things are going along properly, they really need to just sit back out of the way and allow things to proceed.

In a perfect world!

Edited by MiSSxZURi

Then why aren't more of you staying at home and birthing your child like a cow???

i believe most farmers (here, at least) have a vet on call if a cow has trouble while birthing... of course i want the safety of a hospital with nurses, midwifes and doctors who are ready to assist me and my child, should something goes wrong. that does not mean that my wishes and wants/want nots should be ignored by them...

and comparing us to cows is rather... rude and smells of personal attacks....

"slippery spawns"?

are you refering to mothers and children as "cows" and "Slippery spawns"?

you seriously disgust me and hope to all that is mighty that you stay far away from any maternity ward that might be available to you in the future... far, far away....

eta: this post was longer, but i edited it out because i might be a slight bit hormonal....

Edited by skjotta

Exactly what about my post are you referring to??? You quoted me, but commented nothing of relevance to what I posted. MY experience is that if my labor and delivery was never tampered with, I more than likely would have never had the problems I did. Breaking my water and inducing with pitocin before my body was ready was not the fault of my body malfunctioning, it was doctors and nurses intervening when they should be only a mere presence in the environment, there as support and able to intervene only if things go badly or baby/mother is in severe distress. The problem with most medical professionals is they view childbirth as a diagnosis needing treatment, like a heart attack or whathaveyou, and not as the natural experience that it is, supportive care given.

I certainly hope you don't talk to your patients like this, if you said anything like that to me while I were in labor, regarding "slippery spawns" and "birthing like a cow" I would get you fired... From your rude, inhuman stance on most things I am positive you shouldn't even be in healthcare. :sick:

It's like you'll say anything, anything at all, just to get a rise out of people.

Whatever. Moo.

You do not know me or the way I are for patients so you can keep your assumptions to yourself. I have more compassion in my pinkie than most do in their whole body.

You people DO realize that you are responsible for your own health care? I say this time and time again that doctors don't know it all and sometimes they don't have your best interests at heart so the best thing to do is be responsible for your own health care.

Which means informing yourself and telling doctors/nurses what treatment you do and do not want. This is well within your rights.

Blondyy...

It's hard to get what you wish to have out of a birth experience when they don't actually adhere to it though. If you're in a hospital then there are a lot of people responsible for helping you do that. You know you can be thrown out of a hospital or simply refused if you don't sign what they want you to sign? I was told at a huge hospital in Tacoma, WA if I didn't do a glucose test/go as often as they insisted for internal exams/get the required injections, as per their guidelines, then I wouldn't even be able to be treated there. I said 'great, peace out! I'll get me a midwife.'

Remember my original post referred to how I literally wrote all over my admittance 'contract' specifying what I wanted and didn't want, and that I made this verbally clear to both my nurses and OB, and still things were done without my knowledge or permission and they felt no remorse for anything.

I'll give you generalizing with a comment like "dumb nurses" isn't any better than yours, but really, directing comments toward anyones "spawn" crosses a line with basic humanity. It's like killing off youngins in movies and such, ya just don't do it! =\

Edited by MiSSxZURi

Sucks when someone calls you and your kids names huh? Kinda like I am sure health care workers and nurses and doctors take your "dumb nurses" comment as rude too.

I work with these people that you put down at the drop of a hat. While yea, there are some that don't have the greatest bedside manner, there still are great health care workers.

Just seems to me that everyone likes to blame a doctor or nurse and while yes, sometimes they are to blame, they are not human. And they deal with a lot of people's bull crap day in and day out.

Sucks when someone calls you and your kids names huh? Kinda like I am sure health care workers and nurses and doctors take your "dumb nurses" comment as rude too.

I work with these people that you put down at the drop of a hat. While yea, there are some that don't have the greatest bedside manner, there still are great health care workers.

Just seems to me that everyone likes to blame a doctor or nurse and while yes, sometimes they are to blame, they are not human. And they deal with a lot of people's bull crap day in and day out.

They are not human?????

If you choose a carrier as a nurse or a doctor, peoples bull crap is your job. The patients pay the salary, after all... if they ignore their patients wishes they ARE dumb. If they dont, they are wonderful.

I never called anyone dumb, yet you refer to us all as cows and our children as slippery spawns... what wrong did our children do?

As for empathy, I suspect your level of empathy to be somewhat comparable to jesus christ... everyone keeps waiting to see it but noone ever has.

Block is a very good feature here on HC.. I have only used it one time.....forever.

:ph34r:

I wonder how much times have changed from when I had MY kids. Or if it's done differently up here. Because I can tell you I sure as heck never experienced mandatory sounding interventions. Good grief.....all that STUFF being done !!!

I WILL say that with my second, in the very throes of labour I said (probably shouted) NO SNIPPING DOWN THERE !

Did I get an argument from the doctor? Yep. Did he follow my request (order/directive) ? Yep.

Grudgingly with a somewhat snarky retort mind you......something about a three car garage as I recall.

I would think that one should lay it on the line all thru the pregnancy and have their requests officially noted in the file. AND - have someone there to back them up.

It's gotta be tough though. Because all the medical staff needs to do is throw the notion out there that the baby would be in jeopardy if you don't listen to them..........

Edited by Cactus Rose

Block is a very good feature here on HC.. I have only used it one time.....forever.

:ph34r:

I wonder how much times have changed from when I had MY kids. Or if it's done differently up here. Because I can tell you I sure as heck never experienced mandatory sounding interventions. Good grief.....all that STUFF being done !!!

I WILL say that with my second, in the very throes of labour I said (probably shouted) NO SNIPPING DOWN THERE !

Did I get an argument from the doctor? Yep. Did he follow my request (order/directive) ? Yep.

Grudgingly with a somewhat snarky retort mind you......something about a three car garage as I recall.

I would think that one should lay it on the line all thru the pregnancy and have their requests officially noted in the file. AND - have someone there to back them up.

It's gotta be tough though. Because all the medical staff needs to do is throw the notion out there that the baby would be in jeopardy if you don't listen to them..........

There's where thorough education on what's going on and what your options/rights are comes into important play. Women don't have to be bossed around and bullied or scared into certain things, but usually they just don't know any better.

And three car garage!? I can only imagine what he said. Wow... You should've pooped on him :D

Edited by MiSSxZURi

I had almost the same experience as journeysgirl, with both my daughters.

No two people have exactly the same experience though. Birth plans are a GUIDELINE, not a definite thing. You don't KNOW what's going to happen once you go to give birth. Yes, your body should know what to do, and you should be able to follow that, but that's not always the case. And you shouldn't judge people for what they choose to make themselves & their birth experience the best it can be in the situation as it stands.

You do not know me or the way I are for patients so you can keep your assumptions to yourself. I have more compassion in my pinkie than most do in their whole body.

You people DO realize that you are responsible for your own health care? I say this time and time again that doctors don't know it all and sometimes they don't have your best interests at heart so the best thing to do is be responsible for your own health care.

Which means informing yourself and telling doctors/nurses what treatment you do and do not want. This is well within your rights.

I can only go by what you say. You can claim you have compassion and empathy and this and that till you are blue in the face, but if you keep spouting inflammatory remarks with complete and utter lack of compassion about people, their children, and from a topic long ago, their mental status, its isn't a far stretch to say you have none. If you do, then you certainly could fool anyone, because you surely never show it here.

I can only go by what you say. You can claim you have compassion and empathy and this and that till you are blue in the face, but if you keep spouting inflammatory remarks with complete and utter lack of compassion about people, their children, and from a topic long ago, their mental status, its isn't a far stretch to say you have none. If you do, then you certainly could fool anyone, because you surely never show it here.

Right back at ya with the nurse comment.

There's where thorough education on what's going on and what your options/rights are comes into important play. Women don't have to be bossed around and bullied or scared into certain things, but usually they just don't know any better.

And three car garage!? I can only imagine what he said. Wow... You should've pooped on him :D

Ignorance is not an excuse. If someone cannot think for themselves, then they probably shouldn't be breeding in the first place.

Ignorance is not an excuse. If someone cannot think for themselves, then they probably shouldn't be breeding in the first place.

It's unfortunate when women are ignorant to their options, although wouldn't it be nice of an establishment supposedly meant to HELP people would be more upfront about FULL disclosure? They only offer what they want to promote and that's it. Yeah, it'd be nice, but we all know that's not the way the cookie crumbles ;)

This is why when I meet an impending new mama, I tell her to READ! Do her research! Do her best to have the birth she wants and hang in there if not.

The last nurse that gave me needless grief during childbirth got slapped upside her stupid head and chased from the room. Yes you CAN get up and walk during labor, just like a cow! Something for "nurses" to think about anyway.

The nurses I had were always good. The drs were pushy. I think I've got a pretty good one this go round. I hope at least.