MiSSxZURi

Pregnancy/labor/delivery!

I wanted a natural birth... but after weeks of strange blood pressure issues, and the baby's heart rate becoming irregular at times, my doctor said he was inducing. I was crushed, because I knew that would likely mean a c section. I lived 2 hours away from the hospital where I would deliver, so he was not willing to risk sending me home.

Of course the induction failed, I was having contractions but no progress as far as dilation was concerned. They broke my water, and then I realized how TRULY horrible pitocin contractions can be! Still not progress, and the fetal monitor started showing increasing signs of stress. The doctor had been watching the monitors at the nurse's station, and came running into my room and said I needed a c-section now. My husband said it was about 15 minutes from that point to them delivering my daughter!

I was panicking... after my water broke, I had an epi, and it did not work. I had a broken vertebra (horse accident) and I swear every contraction just centered on that location. And now I was convinced they would be cutting me open while I still could feel everything!

Luckily, epi #2 worked. When they finally delivered my daughter, she had the umbilical cord around her neck. The doctor told me that was probably why I was not dilating... she was unable to "drop" and put pressure on my cervix. That is also likely why we'd seen such weird readings on the monitor for the past few weeks, and why the contractions caused her so much stress. Thankfully, all was ok.

I really mourned not having the birth I wanted... but now that I have my daughter, I really no longer care. I know I'm lucky things turned out ok, and thankful that the doctors took the measures they did.

Every woman has their own idea of what they want, and within reason I don't see why she shouldn't have the birth she desires. Yes, I think it's crazy someone would want a c-section... but other women think birth without pain meds is also crazy. Not really any of my business.

I did want to apologize for those that may have been offended at the "cow" and "spawn" remarks.

I am aware that the health industry really does have it's issues and I will be the first one to tell you about them. However, I felt as this was an attack on the industry that I work for and I probably said some things I shouldn't have said out of irritation.

There are health care workers who are health care workers for the money. I won't deny that. But the majority are there because it is what the enjoy doing- helping people. Sometimes, we buy into the whole drug thing because that is an easy fix- and there is no doubt that health education really needs to expand to ALL people so they know what they should and should not do in certain situations- but in my opinion, that is near impossible so we have to work with what works for now. But the point is, the majority of doctors and nurses aren't out to get you or cause harm.

They have to care for people but at the same time, protect their business/organization. If they birthed babies in a way that proves easier to birth (as some have said, standing up) then there would be multiple lawsuits all over the country when accidents involving that happened and health care rates would sky rocket anymore. It is just not one view- you have to look at the big picture.

And yes. We have all ran into crabby a$$ nurses. But even some of the people who come off as a crabby a$$ nurse really do care, but nursing really is a hard field. Not so much physically, but very much so mentally and emotionally. To be perfectly honest, I see what goes on and I would find a hard labor job to be much easier than the jobs that nurses do.

Emotional and mental exhaustion is a whole different kind of exhaustion than overexerting yourself on a day at the job. I think anyone who has worked in the medical field (particularly a hospital) can attest to this.

Heidi, of course I was being sarcastic.

My comment wasn't directed at you, which is why I quoted MissZuri when I posed my question.

Well what an interesting topic.

C-sections are not a walk in the park.

Sad to say. All 3 of mine have been born via section.

I wanted so bad to have natural births... but

am unable to..

To me that is heartbreaking on the other hand?

I have 3 Healthy , Beautiful children..as well as my health !

To me that is heartbreaking on the other hand?

I have 3 Healthy , Beautiful children..as well as my health !

That is all that matters in the end! Healthy mama, healthy babes....

No, I quoted MissZuri, who had quoted you. This is the who-quoted-who HC version of who's-on-first. LOL

I didn't understand her reply about not seeing a Doc if there were no problems. I should qualify and say I've never been pregnant but I thought Docs could determine problems that wouldn't be present for the naked eye and the parent wouldn't know unless they were seen. However, her reply was spot on regarding issues: if the baby has an issue it has an issue and will be born with it. Knowing about it and worrying over it isn't conducive to a stress-free pregnancy when it won't change the outcome.

My only objection(disagreement?) would be if the Doc could determine a problem and immediate treatment could stop or prevent the issue from growing into a problem.

But like I said, I've never been pregnant and I don't know *what* issues w/ a baby could be found and successfully treated in utero.

No, I quoted MissZuri, who had quoted you. This is the who-quoted-who HC version of who's-on-first. LOL

I didn't understand her reply about not seeing a Doc if there were no problems. I should qualify and say I've never been pregnant but I thought Docs could determine problems that wouldn't be present for the naked eye and the parent wouldn't know unless they were seen. However, her reply was spot on regarding issues: if the baby has an issue it has an issue and will be born with it. Knowing about it and worrying over it isn't conducive to a stress-free pregnancy when it won't change the outcome.

My only objection(disagreement?) would be if the Doc could determine a problem and immediate treatment could stop or prevent the issue from growing into a problem.

But like I said, I've never been pregnant and I don't know *what* issues w/ a baby could be found and successfully treated in utero.

LOL! Got ya!

Well, I mean, a baby can be perfectly healthy but still end up having delivery issues simply by position, if the cord is wrapped around the neck, etc.

My mother went through 27 hours of labor with me. They had her go that long and THEN decided to do a c-section. The doc seemed to think the issue was a tilted pelvis that caused the birthing issue. I wasn't too big of a baby...7 lbs. 8 ounces.

Prior to me, my Mother had suffered through 7 miscarriages...all of which, prior to the miscarriages, she went to the doctor and had all the exams and what not. With me, she decided to opt out from the docs and just went to the hospital when I was ready to pop out. So, I get where doctors **MAY** be the cause of issues, but I just wouldn't NOT want to be in a hospital just in case an issue arose.

Edited by Blondyy

So is this a thread on how C-sections are an idiotic decision if you choose you want to have one or because you had to have one or both scenarios?

If the doctors hear a probelm with the heart or other internal organs yes they can through ultasounds, many times some babies had a heart defect that was corrected through utero surgery... as well as other probelms.. That is how my doctor found out about my uterus where my baby was laying right at the cervix..they also can detect probelms with the spine, brain.. then parents can be better prepared, figure out to proceed with their baby's problem .

I wanted to say to a reply about screaming, seems it take to much out of a person to push to have tebaby. No it doesn't . If anything person wants one to pussh to get the baby out in order to stop the pain. In mycase My body was doing everyhting, I wanted push did probelm was the baby wasn't coming,she was caught on the caught, refuse to come.

that is where the pain resulted from not from contractiosns, It was the pain in between was worse than the contractions. reason why my blood pressure shot -u p as well.

My body was fighting with \itself.

I didn't elect to have the c-section, It wan an emergency had tobe done. If my daughter wasn't caught onthe cord, my blood pressure stabled, then It would have been a natural birth.

Another thing my doctor did no do pelvic exams until my last examination just before I was due... He took wieght, urine samples,blood tests, measured my belly, if he felt the need he did an ultra sound. In which he did with my second, found the probelm, did ultrasounds afterword to keep track of my uterus, too see if itchanged,or if baby changed.. At teh time he was fine with me havighaving a natural birth, we had to keep the baby in.

I didn't expect to have an c-section It was taken out of my hands, my baby's life was at risk...

yes a woman has the right to choose a c-section.. Sometimes woman are scared to give natural birth, l don't want to go through long hours of delivery also some base it on family medical hsitory of their mothers, who did have difficulty.

Edited by Ann Wheeler

Thank you nick. On another note, do you or Skjotta happen to know European statistics related to this topic? It seems from what I've heard European women embrace natural birth and breastfeeding much more so than American women, the benefits of doing things natural that benefit the child without regard to what it does to ones body. Ie elective cesarean to save the look of your vagina, even if it benefits both child and mother, or choosing not to breastfeed for nothing more than not wanting saggy bewbs, benefits to both very strongly outweigh the other options, but are disregarded for vanity.

There seems to be a negative stigma about natural birth and breastfeeding here, and not so much in Europe. Is America full of selfish prudes? Or what has caused such a huge difference? Is there a difference with how doctors view labor and delivery there vs here?

in my opinion, if you need a cesarian (medical reasons), you should have one. if it is the only safe way to deliver your child, of course you should have one. if you worry about who gets to see you naked or what will happen to your nether regions, get over yourself...

i think the situation here proves my point. we have goverment founded health care, and people are spoiled by it. pregnant girls just assume that if they want a cesarian, they will get it. what they dont count in is the fact that if they want one but have no medical reason for it, they have to pay for it at a private hospital... most of the girls who complain about being naked or "damages" that might occur, give birth naturally and have no issues what so ever...

17% of births in Norway are done by cesarian. 2/3 of those are emergency and 1/3 is planned. (placenta previa, baby estimated to be too big, 2 or more previous cesarians, when the baby is faced the wrong way (butt first) multiples and so on) there are complications in ca 2% of the cesarians, a little less in vaginal births.

in my opinion an "wanted" cesarian is a waste of resourses. it is a waste of the doctors time, a waste of time in the operating room...

norway DOES offer reconstructive surgery IF your vajayjay is damaged in birth though ;)

i think that if women went into a pregnancy knowing that their bodies are designed for this and prepared that there CAN be complications that will be handeled, their wish for cesarian would not be as strong, but to imagine that they are going to have a baby completely pain free? that is just silly... yes, it is going to hurt, yes you are going to survive and the moment your child is in your arms, the pain will be so worth it.

i also would like to mention that if you want a home birth and feel most comfortable with that, i say go for it! BUT having a home birth does not mean that you can not see a doctor to make sure that your pregnancy is, in fact, low risk. maybe it is a cultural thing, but here midwifes who assist at home births are medically qualified to handle pre natal care and birth. they also work together with doctors and usually have them on speed dial. also, paramedics are mediaclly trained to deliver babies and can be called out within minutes.

there are no statistics that show a higer risk at home births here. also, pre natal care is not a choise. you can refuse vaginal examinations and tests done on the fetus or the water but blood pressure, blood tests, urine samples and min. 1 ultrasound (week 18) is demanded and if you refuse, you risk child endangerment charges pressed.

So is this a thread on how C-sections are an idiotic decision if you choose you want to have one or because you had to have one or both scenarios?

Absolutely not. My PERSONAL opinion of elective c-sections is low, but this s NOT what this thread is about.

Read:

in my opinion, if you need a cesarian (medical reasons), you should have one. if it is the only safe way to deliver your child, of course you should have one. if you worry about who gets to see you naked or what will happen to your nether regions, get over yourself...

i think that if women went into a pregnancy knowing that their bodies are designed for this and prepared that there CAN be complications that will be handeled, their wish for cesarian would not be as strong,

The bolded part of skjotta's post is the most important one, for me. I think the VAST, vast majority of women are way under-informed of the true risks of the multiple interventions that can take place in a hospital birth. Then they are often forced to make decisions about such interventions when emotion and pain are high and they can less reasonably weigh the implications.

If it were up to me every woman under a doctor's or midwife's care would have mandatory training on the possible choices they could be faced with in a delivery room (or home) and have an opportunity to weigh the options before the situation arises.

(This sounds familiar...did I say this already? :unsure: )

I guess I did...sorry! :ashamed0002:

I guess the point is, there is a wide range of qualifications among midwives, just as there is among ob/gyns, and it behooves every mother to do her homework, know what decisions about birth and aftercare she could potentially face, and know how she would choose if the situation arises.

Edited by Greenhaven

i think the situation here proves my point. we have goverment founded health care, and people are spoiled by it. pregnant girls just assume that if they want a cesarian, they will get it. what they dont count in is the fact that if they want one but have no medical reason for it, they have to pay for it at a private hospital... most of the girls who complain about being naked or "damages" that might occur, give birth naturally

It's not about getting over oneself. Sometimes people actually do care about the look of their body- doesnt make them vain, just means they don't want to damage their bodies. Vaginal child birth, with no complications, can cause widening of the vag and bladder issues.

IMO, it's no worse than the pregnant women who eat whatever they want and get way overweight while pregnant. That's more of a desservice to the baby than a c section and IMO, more selfish.

It's not about getting over oneself. Sometimes people actually do care about the look of their body- doesnt make them vain, just means they don't want to damage their bodies. Vaginal child birth, with no complications, can cause widening of the vag and bladder issues.

IMO, it's no worse than the pregnant women who eat whatever they want and get way overweight while pregnant. That's more of a desservice to the baby than a c section and IMO, more selfish.

you CAN also get stretch marks or your stomac muscles may not knit back together (almost all women get stretch marks)... you gonna have someone else carry the baby for you? and bladder issues are more likely to from the pregnancy itself than from vaginal birth)

fact is that a c section has bigger risk of complications than a vaginal birth, so i think it is rather selfish to risk that by choise to avoid stretching of the vagina (muscles that can be worked into shape with a bit of work....)

OMG.. the "damage" from a c-section is far higher then a vag birth. They slice through skin and muscles AND the uterus for a section. The only thing to get sliced in a vag birth is a small bit of skin for an episiotomy. That is FAR less damaging to the body then open abdominal surgery. I still have my baby pooch and have been told by more then one dr that loosing that is a lot harder due to having s-sections. My last section was 10 years ago. I still have a numb spot between my belly button and my incision line. I can sit a hot cup of coffee on bare skin and not feel it. That is by NO means "easier on the body"..

I had abdominal surgery for a 6" resection of colon in 2008 and an area of skin to the left of the incision, about 2" x 6", is numb. I also still feel I have .... not so much complications, but concessions .... resulting in my body because of the surgery. It just isn't the same. And it can never be "the same" because it has been permanantly altered.

I mustache mothers a question about espisiotomies ... do they serve a real purpose?

I mustache mothers a question about espisiotomies ... do they serve a real purpose?

Depends on who you ask. :winking:

Arguments for:

-a clean incision is easier to repair than a tear

-it helps facilitate the passage of a big-headed babe

Arguments against:

-a woman's body (even 'that' part) is designed to stretch enough to accommodate the birth of a child and when assistance is done well a woman seldom tears

-most tearing is minor of it occurs at all

-even a clean incision can tear further if proper technique is not used to help a woman deliver her baby in such a fashion that stretching is not allowed to happen. Like when you "nick" a plastic bag to get it started, making it easier to tear open upon the cut line.

I had them with both boys. I would have wished against them had I known I could work at delivering differently. That said, I had no complications from them and the worst part was the stitching afterward.

some say that a little clip can prevent a big tear... i had several tears after having Arora, mainly because of two things. i lost my contractions when she crowned, and when that happened they saw that she was blue from having the cord around her neck. i had to just push her out, fast, and tore both here and there... i had about 20 stitches, but they were spread around (no BIG ones)

and i am glad to say that my whooha functions and looks just like it did before birth (almost 6 years later)

I agree, if you need one you need one, there probably isn't much you can do about it. However, based on statistics of birth center births and hospital births, among similarly low risk pregnancies/patients, there is a HUGE difference in numbers. I would have expected similar numbers using the same demographic, but 6%(1 in 16) needed cesarean in birth centers vs 25% (1 in 4) in hospitals, that definitely says something to me. I was just wanting to compare European numbers with American numbers to figure out where the explanation lies. To me the main goal is to get baby out safely, but also with the least amount of harm done to the mother, and if cesareans are done for vanity and convenience, that is not something anybody should be ok with, especially so if the doctor is pushing csection for their own convenience and not the mothers.

And yes, cesarean does much more damage to the body than a normal vaginal delivery. Granted, there can be damage done, like 4th degree tearing, like my mother had (in addition to having an episiotomy), but perhaps her outcome would have been different had she been assisted in a different manner? Who knows, she did need reconstructive surgery, involving both nether parts, I had intestinal complications from my cesarean and a fairly lengthy recovery compared to normal birth, as well as a 4 day hospital stay instead of just 24 hours, or same day. I still have numbness at the incision site, particularly just below, and that was almost a year and a half ago. I was up and walking around the following day and I feel I recovered as fast as I could hope for, it is after all a major abdominal surgery, but I do still have slight pain in the area when I lift something heavy, like feed bags. I have known a couple people who have gotten recurring incision site infections, although I did not experience that, so I cannot comment much about it.

I agree, if you need one you need one, there probably isn't much you can do about it. However, based on statistics of birth center births and hospital births, among similarly low risk pregnancies/patients, there is a HUGE difference in numbers. I would have expected similar numbers using the same demographic, but 6%(1 in 16) needed cesarean in birth centers vs 25% (1 in 4) in hospitals, that definitely says something to me. I was just wanting to compare European numbers with American numbers to figure out where the explanation lies. To me the main goal is to get baby out safely, but also with the least amount of harm done to the mother, and if cesareans are done for vanity and convenience, that is not something anybody should be ok with, especially so if the doctor is pushing csection for their own convenience and not the mothers.

here, the statistics are somewhat skewed right now because we have a huge debate going about "birth angsiety" basically women claiming to be so scared of giving birth that they HAVE TO HAVE a c section...

the medical profession is split in this issue, some say that angsiety like this needs to worked through, ending in a vaginal birth (unless c section is medically necessary) with the help that the woman needs. others say that it is easier to just cut and be done with it.

i am not a doctor, so i do not know if a mothers fear can have a negative infuence on a vaginal birth, but i keep wanting to compare it to other fobias or angsieties... for instance, if you have fear of flying and you REALLY REALLY want to travel to Australia... well, either you grit your teeth, get help, take a pill and get on that plane, or you say to yourself that "no, i am too afraid of the flying, so i will just have to stay at home"

i cant help it... to be giving birth is just part of the package when you want a kid... (again, if medically possible)

It is a rather well known fact that a vagina never goes back to its original tightness once having a baby. Just a little FYI.

But as I said, I find it silly to nit pick someone because they choose a c section when a lot of women tend to over eat- and eat badly- when pregnant, which is not good for the baby.

It is a rather well known fact that a vagina never goes back to its original tightness once having a baby. Just a little FYI.

But as I said, I find it silly to nit pick someone because they choose a c section when a lot of women tend to over eat- and eat badly- when pregnant, which is not good for the baby.

i dont think it is okay that that women over eat or eat badly when pregnant either....

and where is it a well known fact? how many children have you given birth to again? oh yeah.... zero.

my vagina is just fine and tight even though i gave birth, and i tend to trust my own vagina more than your opinions....

how much yould anyone be willing to bet that it is a male scientist who says that the vagina looses its tightness through childbirth?

Actually that is only a well known myth. The vagina is a muscle just like any other muscle in the body. The more toning and pelvic floor exercises you do (kegals) the more tone it will be.

my vagina is just fine and tight even though i gave birth, and i tend to trust my own vagina more than your opinions....

LOL! Sometimes the quoting overriding a block feature is annoying, but in this case it is hilarious! The cluelessness astounds me. I am not even sure I have seen more false information from one source; the sheer volume is mind-boggling.

And I do want to be clear that I am not referring to skjotta.

Edited by Greenhaven

i dont think it is okay that that women over eat or eat badly when pregnant either....

and where is it a well known fact? how many children have you given birth to again? oh yeah.... zero.

You don't need to have children to know that vaginas become more loose once stretched via child birth.

Not only is it common sense but also a medical fact. It damages the pelvic floor. Kegals can help to tighten but it's never gonna be the same as pre-birth.

You don't need to have children to know that vaginas become more loose once stretched via child birth.

Not only is it common sense but also a medical fact. It damages the pelvic floor. Kegals can help to tighten but it's never gonna be the same as pre-birth.

Yes , you do need to have given birth to know that 3 days after delivery you feel that the baby could slide right back in there, AND that 6 months later (and a bit of work and exercise) it is like like a tight latex glove again.

A womans body is MADE for birth. It is made to stretch and then retract.

Just for fun I asked my so if he noticed any difference from before I first was pregnant and he thinks (and enjoys) that I seem stronger now ;-)

Yeah... life is nice....

LOL! Sometimes the quoting overriding a block feature is annoying, but in this case it is hilarious! The cluelessness astounds me. I am not even sure I have seen more false information from one source; the sheer volume is mind-boggling.

And I do want to be clear that I am not referring to skjotta.

And supposedly, that's one of our health professionals. Is it any wonder there are problems?