Sign in to follow this  
R0EN

Western Bits For The Big Boys

I have a belgian/thoroughbred cross and we've been slowly moving up in bit size and if I could find one he'd been in a 5 3/4" bit right now. He's 5 1/2 yrs old so I'm pretty sure he won't be growing much more so I'd be comfortable spending the money on a good 5 3/4" but all I can find is crappy 6" bits.

Any suggestions other than buying a Myler or getting something custom made?

This is what I have and can get in a 6"

2527.jpg

I would like to try him in something with a low port (similar to the below) but can't find anything in a 5 3/4" or a 6"

http://t3.gstatic.co...nFYGjTMo-aD4mmQ

Hi

THat is a hard type of mouth piece size to find in a western curb bit with a port.

I had the same problem with my 16.3 hh App gelding, when I wanted to move him up to a curb. Lots of snaffles in that size, as snaffles cross over into both western and english disciplines, thus a broader base of horse type Since a ported curb western bit is mostly used on stock horse breeds, the standard mouth piece size of a curb is 5"

Easy to find curbs with less width (ponies and Arabs ), but not to find them that readily for a horse with a wider mouth than 5"

My local tack shop did find me a 51/2 inch ported curb, but said I would need to find 9 other buyers to make it worth her while to bring in at least 10 of those bits

I just kept him in a jointed mouth curb, that had the correct width

If Myler makes the bit in the right size that you wnat, I would spend the bucks

Other than that, you could use a curb designed for a warmblood, ridden English

Thanks Smilie. I was pretty sure that I wouldn't have any luck I put a lot of time into finding one and it's just not happening. Pretty sure I'm going to have to spend the big bucks and take a chance that it's the right style for him.

Look into Robart bits. They work on the same pinchless/berring system principal as Mylar but are cheaper, and made in the USA. They range from 4.5"- and I think they go all they way up to a 6.

Look into Robart bits. They work on the same pinchless/berring system principal as Mylar but are cheaper, and made in the USA. They range from 4.5"- and I think they go all they way up to a 6.

Can you post alink to a Robart curb bit with a port, that has a mouth piece greater than the standard 5"?

I looked, but couldn't find one. Many bit comapnies have snaffles with mouth pieces greater than 5" and even curbs with jointed mouth pieces greater than 5" in diameter, but finding a curb with a port and more than a 5" diameter mouth piece is what the OP is looking for

Perhaps I just did not see it?

I sent out a message to Dave. He is pretty good at getting back right away. I use to sell them at the MN Expo but he may not carry them any more or they are just not on the website. I will let you both know either way.

THANKS,

I will book mark those bits, justy in case I'm ever in the market for such a sized curb again

Edited by Smilie

I had same problem. I have a frienD who has a leather shop(make saddles and such) he got out his catalogs and was able to order me a real nice curb 6". I suggest going to a similar source saddle makers generally have catalogs for all sorts of horse related items. Good luck.