Sign in to follow this  
texasrose908

Slant Load Vs. Straight Load Trailers

I am looking to get my own trailer sometime soon. I have always preferred slant load trailers, because that is all my previous trainers had so it has been what I'm used to using. But, while trailer searching, I have found a lot more straight load trailers, and for better prices than the slant loads. Is there a pro to straight loads compared to slant loads? Which kind does everyone else prefer?

If a horse is turned loose in a stock trailer, they tend to ride at a slant, usually backwards facing.

If you are only hauling 1 horse, your load is more balanced in a slant load.

Horses often load easier in a slant load as it appears less confining.

That said, there isn't a thing wrong with a straight load if you are not hauling long trips all the time. If you haul less than 30 min as your regular hauls, I have not issues with a straight load. If your horse has no loading issues, he likely will have no issues with straight loads.

What I look for in a straight load is a trailer that looks large and inviting inside. Is it light colored? Is there plenty of space 360degrees?

I've owned many a 2H straight load over the years for my local hauls, but will tell you that there is a definite difference in how they haul when loaded with 1H.

Take your money & get a slant or stock trailer. On our trailer shopping we got a straightload & the pony gets in fine. However my gelding gets halfway in & puts on the brakes. I know it is cause he thinks there is no space. So next step it to work with the devider out. What a pain & thank heaven I have no need for hauling.

When this trailer is rebuilt it will be sold & I am going shopping for a stock trailer.

We have a 4 horse stock trailer with only a middle divider separating the two front horses from the two in the back. It's really easy to load horses into because we hace a white trailer so it's super bright and inviting. Also, it's great for hauling hay! However, it's tough to have 4 horses in it if they don't all stand well in a trailer...If it had more dividers I would like it a lot more.

ETA: I would definitely pay attention to the color of the trailer because it does make a big difference at least on the inside when you're trying to load horses, especially those that are not so easy to load.

Edited by Amazona

There is no right or wrong here, just a matter of preference & affordability. PD

I agree, it's largely preference. Horses do seem to load better in slants, even my friend's very claustrophobic draft X will hop right on a slant.

I agree with everyone else. DH and I are currently in the market for a trailer. We are holding out for a slant load or stock trailer and passing up on the straight loads just out of personal preference. We do plan on starting to haul longer distances for horse camping and I would just prefer not to have a straight load.

agreed - it's preference. That said...I always teach my horses to load into a straight load. If a horse will load into a straight load, they will load into anything, and you never know what you may need them to load into in an emergency situation. I can load my horses up in the pitch black into my straight load with only a vocal cue...it was a bit of work to get them to that point, but it has paid off many times!!

I've never had a problem gettting any horse into my stock trailer, its got three sections and all can hold 3-4 horses easily, 4-5 if situations call for it. However a large trailer like this isnt practical for most people. If I had to choose between a two horse straight load and a slant I'd choose the slant simply for the reason that the slant is easier to load a horse in than a two horse straight load.

After having a slant loads for the past 10 years, I went back to a straight load. That said, im not talking a tiny straight load, my trailer is actually bigger than most two horse slants, and the interior is very bright. The stalls in slant loads are usually smaller than the stalls in a straight load, length and width. Also, with a slant load you generally have to unload horses to get to the horse in the front stall. If Im hauling a decent distance and need to pull over on the side of the road to check horses, water, etc I DONT want to need to unload the back horse and tie it to the side of the trailer in a parking lot or on the side of the road. I have a walk through between my tack room and horse box, which is nice on long hauls when you are stopping to feed and water. My divider also removes making the entire area a box stall. Because its not a slant load, the wall infront of the horses isnt slanted, leaving more room in both the tack room as well as the horse box. I actually prefer a trailer without a rear tack, if anything has made a claustrophobic horse of mine not load, its actually been a narrow door opening due to a rear tack. Yes, you can collapse them, but then you have to unload everything from the rear tack, load the horse, and reload the tack. Too be honest, my horses actually dont stand slant when hauled loose, that actually stand straight, backwards.

I love my rear tack. Most of the campgrounds and trail places we camp at you back in. You use the side for camping. With the rear tack you can tie your horses to the back of the trailer and saddle up, without having to lug your tack all the way from the front or side or trailer. Also no poop by your door and camp.

Also our awing would make it dangerous for the horse to be tied to the side.

Picture021.jpg

My LG is 8 feet wide so I have a pretty wide read door for them to get in/out of.

secretsanta005.jpg

I love my rear tack. I've yet to have a single horse get clausterphopic due to it. The door is just as wide as a straight load door. They back out the same as they would a straight load trailer. My side tack holds all of my tack, my rear tack all of the extras like buckets/rakes/hay bags etc. And tack for friends/students who haul with me. Mine is collapsible, but has never been collapsed.

I have had both a straight load and a slant load, I have used both in cross country hauls. My straight load was older, and only 6'6 tall, my 15.3 hand gelding did not love this...He gave me quite a bit of grief getting into the straight load. I have loaded him in several slant loads, with and without rear tack.

I think for him, the slant load I have now is taller, but also, he is on a slant and can balance his weight better on the slant, and between the front wall and the divider. I think in the straight load, with his weight distributed differently, it was a less comfortable haul for him.

I think it is a matter of preference, but my preference, and my horse's preference is a slant load.

Also it has stock windows, but I have plexi-glass inserts which I can put in, and minipulate airflow with. I def like that feature as well.