MrsChris

Softening Up Leather

I bought my saddle new, and its not broken in yet. Its a training saddle, completely rough leather or I'd oil it. What can I do to soften up the leather?

I've found it beneficial to use warmed (in a microwave) Pure neatsfoot oil. I just put it in a ceramic bowl and heat it up to warm, not hot. Oil the leather from the smooth side. The warm oil will soak in a lot better, and even out as it soaks in.

For older leather, wash it in hot water and rinse it well, then rinse it again in vinegar and water. The vinegar neutralizes the things that make the leather stiff.

I have the same stiff saddle issues with one of my training saddles along with a few headstall pieces as well. Should the items be washed with soap first? If so do you have a preference in soaps or is that what the vinagar is for?

we have a product over here called *Faulpelz* from Equifix (in english "lazy arse" or "slug") which i discovered through driving (you have to clean everything, everytime :thud: ). you take the harnesses, lines and headstalls and just dunk them in a bucket of the stuff mixed with water, swish around and then hang them up to dry. cleans AND softens really, really well. i don't know if it's available in america--check on line?

i also do this every spring and late fall with my bridles and wipe my saddles off with a cloth soaked in the stuff. the winter can be pretty nasty here, so i'm happy to have a product that prevents the leather from getting brittle.

we have a product over here called *Faulpelz* from Equifix (in english "lazy arse" or "slug") which i discovered through driving (you have to clean everything, everytime :thud: ). you take the harnesses, lines and headstalls and just dunk them in a bucket of the stuff mixed with water, swish around and then hang them up to dry. cleans AND softens really, really well. i don't know if it's available in america--check on line?

i also do this every spring and late fall with my bridles and wipe my saddles off with a cloth soaked in the stuff. the winter can be pretty nasty here, so i'm happy to have a product that prevents the leather from getting brittle.

I am not sure why you would mix with water?? Water is bad for leather.