Sign in to follow this  
TinaCarroll_57253

Best Leather Conditioner?

I have picked up a like new saddle that I would like to keep that way as long as possible.

I always hear how certain oils dry it out or make things worse SO...

is there a high quality product out there to use on new saddles that keeps them in tip top shape??

I wash them with Fiebings saddle soap,let dry, then treat them with pure neatsfoot oil (if leather is especially dry and needs it), let that absorb overnight, and finish up with a light dressing of Blackrock saddle conditioner-- the stuff that comes in a little pot and looks like cold gravy. Once the Black rock is absorbed, I buff with soft cotton rags to bring up a warm glow. Simple, affordable, and my stuff looks great.

I use Neatsfoot oil and Tattersall on my Hermès. Works well and I get compliments on it. I have my groom do it, Tattersall ruins nails. I never have time to anyway, the bf always wants to steal me away from the horses.

Hi im all new to saddle cleaning.....I have 2 western saddles that are med oil finish. How can i go about cleaning, oiling, and conditioning without the saddles getting dark?

Ladiva, I have been dealing with western saddles for 40 something years. The problem with light saddles and keeping them clean and conditioning them is that they most always will darken up with time and age. My 30+ year old Circle Y saddle was light tan when it was new. It is now a dark brown. It is in EXCEPTIONAL shape for an old saddle, but the color will darken with age and care. Sorry to say that it is almost unavoidable. IF anyone can tell me of a way to keep this from happening I am all ears.