Sign in to follow this  
steph1

Ideas For Sick 2Yr Old

She's turning down almost all foods. I got in the past 24 hrs into her, hand full frozen grapes, 1 whole banana, small piece of fish and that's about it minus juice. I'm gonna try some frozen blueberries next. This morning she's only ate 1/2 a banana. She's not running a fever, just congested and coughing and this morning started saying her ear hurt. Poor girlie.

Any ideas on things sickies eat?

When im sick eating is the last thing I want to do...as long as she's drinking I wouldnt worry too much yet. If she's congested her sense of taste probably isn't all that great right now...so if she's saying the food is yucky try something acidic (fruits like you've been doing, or tomato based something) that will cut through to the taste buds a bit.

Is she vocal about being hungry/wanting a certain food?

Tried oranges, nope took one bite and said I don't like it (which she normally loves em). Cut up sweet baby tomatoes (she again loves tomatoes) and refused them.

She tells me strawberries, I bring them out to cut up and she cries and says I don't want it. She's not telling me she's hungry I'm just offering often things I know she loves. I'm gonna have to buy more grapes to freeze. She liked them. They're cold and not hard on her throat. Poor girl is just past miserable.

Fluids! Keep offering good stuff but it's okay if she refuses for a while. She will snack here and there as she need/wants but she should keep drinking.

I give her about 75% water 25% juice, the juice is just way to sweet. I'm gonna buy some pediasures later as a just in case.

I mix it with water like that as well when they're sick and if it continues 'too long' I always go for the Pediasure/pedialite.

I'm carrying a small bottle of ear ache drops in my bra to keep them warm so it doesn't hurt her. LOL I keep forgetting its there and rearrange my bra and find it and kinda laugh. Hubby thinks I've officially lost my mind.

I love tomato soup and grilled cheese when I'm sick, but I don't know if 2 year olds like that. Lol

I'm not really help here.. Haha

Lol hubby got her grapes and pediasure when he ran out. She's napping now. Poor girl!!

I love tomato soup and grilled cheese when I'm sick, but I don't know if 2 year olds like that. Lol

I'm not really help here.. Haha

That is my #1 FAVORITE food! Comfort food FTW!

LOL she is still sleeping. I've got the humidifier right beside her bed. Hopefully she wakes up feeling a little better. I've got homeopathic meds for her being most OTC aren't for her age. I've got 3 different meds that mostly do the same thing. I am finding they just aren't helping. Ugh I hate the kids being sick. It makes me feel bad for them and just seems I can't make them feel better fast enough. MiSS I'm going to pm ya.

Yes, just put a couple drops in each ear twice a day. It took about a week for my DD's ear infection to clear up. After the first time she was asking me to put it in. I tried it on myself and it is warm and soothing. No sting at all.

So, just as a mom, have you taken her to the doctor? My son gets ear infections when he has a running nose and goes from "my ear hurts" and running away from me to hysterical crying in less than 2 hours. Last time, it was literally 2 hours and he had puss in his ear. How did that not hurt all day long?? Sounds like if she is that misserable and specifically saying something hurts, then I would take them in. My son is 3.

Otherwise, we were sick around our house and he didn't eat anything for 4 days. But I was sick too so I know he had no appetite and stuff tasted nasty. He was drinking gatoraide and that was it. So as long as they stay hydrated and it lasts less than a week then I would just love her. Sorry she is sick. It is horrble when your kid is sick.

Keep in mind riding this out is helping build her antibodies and her immune system will be the better for it once she's better again :) It's hard to keep a positive outlook when your babies are miserable, but it's true!

Remember to keep your immunities up too! Keep up with Vit C and D/D3 and your good foods and liquids.

Edited by MiSSxZURi

Miss I'm eating lots of oranges!! My allergies are starting to kick up as we're rearranging the our bedroom in the basement and yeah it's dusty! I've been putting drops in her ears as I can. She's not keeping her head tilted so its going in but not staying. But it's gotta be working. She's not telling me her ears hurting her. She also LOOKS like she's feeling a little better tonight after her bath with the eucalyptus oil in it.

She's been gulping down the pediasure!!! I'm very happy with that!! She's acting like she's just feeling better. I've got 1/2 an onion in hers and the other 1/2 in Cheys room.

When my kids were sick, their (and my) favorite thing to eat was hot jello. I would double the amount of hot water, put it in a cup and let them slurp away.

Same here, HorseLes. Loved the stuff when I was a kid...but not watered down. The sugar had to burn my throat on the way down, or I didn't think it was "working" haha

I remember once when I was maybe 7 or 8, I had a really sore throat and dad and I were in town getting the truck's oil changed. Dad made me a coffee that probably had 10 packets of sugar and 6 creamers in it with very little actual coffee. He told me it would make me feel better...and darned if it didn't! To this day, every time I start feeling a sore throat/cold coming on, I crave a super sweet/creamy coffee...and I don't do coffee!

I like to use pedilite(keeps them hydrated), also a vit rich smoothie, with blueberrys, honey, yogart, banannas, and pedisure instead of milk. Both my girls really go off food when their sick, so this has been my go to for awhile. I also use a saline nasal spray and suck the snot out. Vicks afterwards.