Sign in to follow this  
horsecrazy1234

Moody, Very Irritable Mare

I have a mare who is extremely cranky and irritable especially during grooming, tacking up, taking off/putting on her blankets, and doesn't always like when someone enters her stall. I want to try putting her on a supplement for this and have looked at quite a few. Because I event her i want to try one that will not test. In my search as of now the only one i have found that will not test is mare magic. Does anyone know of any other supplements that might help that will not test?

Thanks in advance!

How long have you had this horse?

Is this a new behavior?

Does this happen only when she's in season?

How old is she?

I'd rather find the cause,than use drugs.

I got her in September. Not new as from what I understand from talking to one of her prior riders (I'm leasing her). It's an everyday thing, not only when she is in season. She'll be 11 in April. I know there have been saddle fitting issues with her. She has gotten some what better since I have had her but is still quite bad.

Don't have any answers, haven't leased a horse. :confused0024:

When I've bought a new one, I take a couple of weeks just getting used to each other.

Grooming, handwalking down the fence line,down the road, roundpen, lots of no pressure time.

Then I'll jump on and hit the trails, I like to see their personality come out before I ride.

Edited by okate

Any chance she has ulcers? It sounds like a pain reaction to me. I'd be grumpy too if every time I saw people or did anything it meant being uncomfortable. Just a random thought from the peanut gallery.

Okate- oh I've spent my fair share of time just grooming her. Especially on the days I don't feel like riding ill still pull her out just to groom. Taking off her blankets she tries to bite and kick. Same with the brushing. Its gotten somewhat better like I've said but still not great. As soon as I am on she's like a total different horse- calm and focused on her job. Out in the field, she sees me coming and comes straight over to me. There are times when she's the sweetest thing but within seconds can go back to being her cranky self. Was thinking trying something to see if it helped her in any way might be an idea. But than again it could just be a pain reaction to having ill fitted saddles in the past and anticipating having that pain?

TracyA- I don't think she has ulcers. At first I was thinking this was just her reactions to having ill fitting saddles from her past. Which it still might be that- and she just needs to figure out that the saddles aren't going to hurt her. I recently purchased a dressage saddle that fits her great. Still on the search for a jump saddle that fits her just as nice. But I'm just not totally sure if its just that or if its something else as well. Figured trying a supplement to help her hormones might help.

Edited by horsecrazy1234

Would you accept that behavior from a stallion? If she isn't in pain, she simply needs a course in acceptable manners.

Be careful with mare magic. We had a boarder give it to an unruly mare and she coliced about 2 hours later. The mare never coliced before she had it and hasn't since.

We have a few boarders who recently bought new horses and they had similar issues with grouchyness while being handled from the ground. One of them clearly had saddle fitting issues in her past. It was noticeable by the quarter size white spots on both sides of her withers. Her nerves and anticipation of pain is associated to humans now. She is getting better though. Starting to trust again. The other 2 were prior lease horses and had new leasees just about every year for the past 10 years. They both were real bad with attitudes when you tried to do anything with them. They have been here for about 4 months now and have came along ways. They used to actually bite you while trying to blanket them now they grit their teeth and move their lips but won't bite. The owners accomplished this by without punishment instead they gained their trust by grooming handling and hand walking and didnt get on them for the first month. I know that you are leasing this horse and competing which makes it hard to start over in gaining trust but from I witnessed the horses that have had multipal owners sometimes shut down. Good luck with your mount. If it was saddle issues and its been corrected I think the behavior may get better with time.

Edited by JustinBoots

Justinboots- thank you! You have given me some hope. I'm gonna hold off on the supplement and just try to do some more ground work type stuff with her. I talked to a professor from penn state this weekend when at the PA horse expo since he did a lecture on horse behavior. So I got some ideas from him to work with her. Everything he brought up made perfect sense so i'm crossing my fingers it works!

With her being narrow, short backed and high withered it has been difficult for me to even find good fitting saddles. The dressage saddle that I have for her she basically is telling me when I am on her that she is comfortable. Shes like a whole different horse. Now it's the jump saddle- hoping I found one that fits her and that she likes this weekend when at the expo. *fingers crossed*

I ceratinly would rule out any pain. Even memory of former pain, needs an approach that will gain her trust that those activities will not hurt her, but at the same time, you need to expect good behavior, esp when entering her stall. Kicking at a human is a definate no

She has not been seen by a chiro as of yet. There has been talk about having her massaged or using a stim machine on her. One of the boarders at the barn is a physical therapist who works on humans as well as horses so im thinking about having her take a look at my horse. The last time I had a chiro work on one of my horses he got worse.

Yes, I would be careful about the "Mare Magic" or any supplement of that type. Even if it is natural herbs you need to know what each herb contributes to the formula....some of the "mare" formulas have blood thinners....not good. It does sound like a pain issue to me, massage is a wonderful thing and possibly could help alert you to ouchy areas and at the very least give her some muscle relaxation. I think the other posters have brought up good points....she is already learning that you are not the one hurting her and she is learning to trust you. Patience is your friend, but stay safe!

Side note, my mare was a little cinchy when tacking up...probiotics and a new cinch did the trick for her, also lots of ground work, under saddle....no rider!

I'd rule out physical causes first....have vet check for something going on in uterus/ovaries....and bloodwork for hormones. Then, if nothing found, I'd go to the chiro approach for muscle/joint issues. Lastly, I'd then do lots of groundwork and rubbing on her for trust and obedience training. My gelding has a sour attitude at times - and only on the ground. Lots of groundwork and working on trust have helped him a lot. Keep us posted

I have a 10 yr old paint mare that is the same way, some of it was because her hip was out, but we noticed it got worse as she went into heat it turns out she had cysts on her ovaries. We started her on the mare magic, and have never had a issue with the cysts again and her behavior has Improved greatly. Although we also did a bit with manners as she was used to getting away with it. We have never had an issue with colic or any other digestion issues. But when starting new things always use with caution. There is something the vet can inject under the skin in their neck that slowly releases stuff to help with hormones too it last for 6 mo (I believe) and it supposedly works well too. I have never tried it

Mare Magic is a great supplement. If I were you, I'd go for that one. My friend used it on her moody mare, and she calmed down almost instantly. She's been on it for almost 1 year and a half now, and now acts like a sweet gelding : )

Edited by cowgirl.up121

I would definitly have her checked for Ulcers. I had a horse with that exact behaviour and it turned out he had ulcers. Rebalance by Neachai is also a great all natural herbal product that will not show up in drug tests. It treats anxiety, hormonal imbalances and helps soothes the nervous system. I have a couple horses on it now and it dramatically improved their moods and focus under saddle as well as on the ground.

I'm a fan of mare magic as well. For some horses it might take awhile for it to work (a few weeks to a month) but it has helped with my moody mares.