Sign in to follow this  
BeRandee

Planning My Trip From Wa To Ky

Yup, I need to get this out of the way. 33 hours of driving if traffic is decent. Looks like I drop down into Oregon, Cut across to Idaho, down to Utah and through the bottom part of Wyoming, through the middle of Nebraska into Missouri, through the bottom of Illinois and Indiana and finally to Lexington where I will also(good news!!) be dropping my little Diesel off with Sams family before making the 3 hour trip S-SW to Fort Campbell. I'm going to give myself a little over a week to get there as it's 2,237 miles and the longest road trip I've ever driven myself, is from where I live to Seattle which is like... 5-6 hours MAX lol. Unfortunately Sam won't be coming with me like we were trying to plan out. But now I'll have Diesel so I'll have some company and reasons to make pit stops. Only problem is going to be finding places to stay at reasonable prices that allow pets lol. I'm not really sure how to go about a trip like this. I've only been on one long road trip from WA to Phoenix AZ and I didn't drive so yea. Made it in 3 days, driving fairly slow lol. I don't plan on doing much speeding at all only because I don't want to deal with infractions but I'm not driving slow... Until I get to an area where I'll need to take an exit haha. I'm horrible with directions. I'm sure my parents will give me their TomTom or buy me one lol.

So, Any idea's on how to go about this? It will be me, Diesel, and my little red '05 mustang full of my crap from home making this trip lol.

I think Super 8 allows pets but dont quote me on that. I think i'd plan each day and where your going to do pit stops, what exits to take, road directions, and when and where your going to stop for the day. If you have it written down on a paper its faster and easier to grab quick if your unsure of your directions.

By then most of the really crazy weather should be over with.

A lot of motels take pets with a refundable deposit.

Thanks for your service.

That's what I', hoping Okate, I don't want any crazy weather during this trip lol. It's going to be long enough already!

Yep, I'll be all by my lonesome, besides the dog lol. Going to be interesting. i might be down for couch crashing. Might be interesting to meet new people =P

Sorry, I'm in Snohomish county, wrong direction.

It's almost easier to do a long trip solo,

no one to argue with.

Or complain about your singing.

Maybe your dog can sing with you?

Oh yes, lots of singing! Which brings me to... I need to get a phone as soon as I get there so I can make a playlist lol. I don't want to fumble looking for stations or flipping cds lol

I couldn't tell yea... I remember just sticking a cd in and going haha. Hopefully I'll find good stations along the way lol. Lil red mustang has decent speakers too =]

I still love the radio. I like listening to headline news on the hr (or 5 after the hr, or whatever) and local weather, and local commercials that tell ya what's happening - driving thru WY 2 years ago, I had intended to stop in Cheyenne for the night, but then heard on the radio that their frontier days, or something big event, was going on. I figured there would be a hotel shortage, so I stopped a bit earlier, just in case. It was a good call! lol

Also, I LOVE listening to NPR on Saturdays when I'm driving...I love the show "Car Talk" and then "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" is on after that...both highly amusing.

There are some pretty amusing talk shows and I like the local news too.

I like the mexican stations,don't understand what they're saying,.

but the music :yay: moves me.LOL

If you have AAA you could go to their office and get a trip tick/maps/state books. Might not be a bad idea to have AAA for a long trip anyway with roadside help, etc. That can also get you hotel ideas and discounts (remember to ask for a military discount too, though, those can be good)

We generally just took laptops and searched for our next day hotel from the current hotel (most have free wifi now). Or used cell phones to look up nearby hotels if we just got to a point that we couldn't keep going anymore. It's actually not super difficult to find a place with a dog. You can also find hotel discount booklets at rest stops/state info centers when you cross state lines usually and they organize them by area.

We just did our cross country trip about 6 months ago from WI to WA and included Yellowstone and some other fun places on the way.

Planning things out a touch more would be my suggestion. Over the plains there can be some pretty decent desolate stretches with either nothingness, or no where that I'd want to stop as a female traveling alone.

A great point was brought up too about checking out big events along the route. I had to sleep in my vehicle one night in SD because we road tripped on a whim and never imagined hotels would be so hard to come by in July (literally called everyone for 3 hours around Rushmore). My boyfriend also ran into that issue when driving to AZ last fall, the only towns/cities safe enough to stay in had events going on and he ended up driving 36hrs straight.

Plus if your time isn't too strict you might be able to stop and see some pretty neat stuff.

Motel 6 is the pet friendly motel chain and one of the most reasonably priced. Some Super 8's are pet friendly, just depends on where you are. There are not many left out there, but Howard Johnson's used to be good with our furry friends.

Road trips are fun. To me the getting there is more interesting than the destination.

Hope you have a great trip. :yay:

I think I will more than likely end up just driving until I can't anymore and find a place to stay. We'll see what happens!! Very excited to especially have my dog =D

I think I will more than likely end up just driving until I can't anymore and find a place to stay. We'll see what happens!! Very excited to especially have my dog =D

You need to start looking a couple hours BEFORE you hit that point. Not only for your own safety but for other drivers on the road. There might be times that you will drive for a few hours before you find something.

Don't forget the previous warnings for driving through the great plains. It can be nerve-wracking to find a GAS stop let alone a place to sleep.

Oh yea of course. That was only a blanket statement lol. I am currently in the field and using someone elses wifi off their phone so I really haven't had a chance to actually look into the route. When I get back to my barracks and can actually sit without disruption, I will do real research.At this point in time, I'm just looking for a little guidence from people who have done this sort of thing before =]

Wish I could be more helpful, we really prefer to fly when possible. Our longest road trip was from Illinois to Maine, and that much time on the car is brutal on us! Our strategy was much like yours...hammer it out and get as many miles as possible under your belt. We stopped once. It was two very, very long days.

It is easier said than done, but your body will thank you if you stop every two hours-ish and just spend five minutes up and out of the car, moving all the parts that don't move much when you are sitting and driving, including (and maybe most importantly) your head and neck. It drastically helps reduce tension headaches that can make a long drive so excruciating.

Road trips can only be as stressful/difficult or fun as you allow them to be. I can't even tell you how many miles I've done solo, and I really don't get the "woman traveling alone" fear thing- at least as far as interstate travel goes. I think it's a totally antiquated concept, and that our highways aren't any more dangerous for women than they are for men.

I don't think I've ever really planned hotel stopping points, not beyond thinking of stopping somewhere I've stayed before and liked anyway. It's easy to find places that allow dogs- I've actually never been refused a room anywhere when I've had a dog with me. I usually go with chains, because most of my travels are in the east half of the us and that's what's around. When I've been further out west, there were a lot more small, independent places, and I loved them. It's pretty easy to avoid sketchy motels.. there are loiterers, if it looks like most of the rooms are lived in (versus rented for a night or two) etc. there's usually a vibe to sketchy places that you'd have to be oblivious not to notice.

Road trips are fun- especially when you've got enough time to stop here and there for weird things. Check your route on roadside America!

I definitely plan on seeing things along the way. Just not sure I plan on going too off route to see anything. Will all depend on time and funds. Right now, funds might be tight so it may just be a go as far as possible safely and find a cheap hotel. We'll see. I have 2 months until then. Lots of planning I can do!

Well, I may be going alone. Sams mother misunderstood me and thought I meant a month max to keep my dog for me =/ Pretty sure that option is now out of the question....