MiSSxZURi

Should Prisoners Have Rights?

scratching-gorilla.jpg

:rotf: :rotf: Now I am laughing MY butt offf!!! If only that could be literally true...

Seriously, where on earth do you FIND these things??? lol

I think they should have access to NECESSITIES and nothing more. Education is a PRIVILEGE in my mind. Some law-abiding citizens struggle to put their kids through school simply because they can't afford it. So why should a criminal be able to get an education while in jail and get their GED or High School diploma?

No tv or internet, either. Sure, give them books to read and a job to keep them busy. But I don't think they should be allowed to have luxuries that law-abiding citizens sometimes can't even have.

Also, I am FOR capital punishment. 'Nuff said.

You know you got a good point there.

Why do prisoners get to take college classes and get their GED for free when the rest of us slobs have to pay good money for that stuff? Not to mention the HEALTH CARE.

What gives with that??

I will say I'm pretty sure you have to earn these things as an inmate. Not everyone gets access to TV, internet, education. Good behavior earns privileges, they are not "rights" to prisoners.

The health care though. I guess if you're in jail, health care suddenly becomes a "right" that the rest of us law abiding citizens do not enjoy. That's odd in a way.

Still, the rest of us not in jail people have been practicing "good behavior" for our whole lives (mostly haha) and we still don't get free college classes.

Why are so many of you against all prisoners having rights?

Whats wrong with them getting an education?

Whats wrong with them watching TV?

Whats wrong with that?

Eventually they are going to get out. Then everyone will be complaining about having them be homeless idiots that are crazy and cant get a job. Getting on food stamps and welfare then you'll really be complaining. Even if they wanted to do better what good is it if they have no education to be able to get a job and contribute to what everyone is complaining about.

Im for them having TV. They only have a TV in the day break room and the jailers are the ones that control what they see.

They have jobs and don't make money for what they do. Wouldn't you hate to have to go to work and not see a single dime from your days work? Would you rather them sit in jail for the time they are in there and not better themselves in the education area. So that when they get out they can go back to doing whatever it is they where doing? Because they know nothing else except what they got in trouble for in the first place. Thats a smart one. Lets just have them all sit in the cell go crazy (cause trust me you will if all you did was look at three walls and a gate all day). Not get an education so they remain idiots and not be able to let some frustration out whether it be by watching the tv or getting on the computer.

Granted the murderers, rapists and child abusers don't really get out they still need some sort of out. Or else someone in that jail is going to pay for their pent up frustrated energy. Whether it be a jailer or prisoner someones going to get the brunt of their frustration. Besides these people have little or no rights. I do believe they are locked up the whole 23 hours with i believe 1 hour of recreation a day or no recreation.

Dunno. Guess i just think they shouldn't be treated equal but dont see the harm in giving them some form of rights while they are in prison. Good behavior should be awarded not ignored. If they get in trouble in some sort of way they are sent to isolation which means they are in a cell 24/7 with no rights.

ETA: A BORED mind is a DANGEROUS mind!

and not everyone in a prison is in their for bad things!

Edited by Aggie

true. some are in for possession of less than 1oz. of marijuana :rolleye0014: .

my attitude is that you have a *captive* labor force. why not put them to work? or make them study? for a lot of people i know having to learn something new IS a form of punishment.

true. some are in for possession of less than 1oz. of marijuana :rolleye0014: .

my attitude is that you have a *captive* labor force. why not put them to work? or make them study? for a lot of people i know having to learn something new IS a form of punishment.

I agree - I work with people who are applying for SS disability benefits, and for many of the SSI folks, their biggest disability is that they have no idea how to get a job, show up for a job every, single day, and how to stay productive throughout a day. I do think that money earned by prisoners should first go to pay for their "board", then to restitution for their victims, and lastly into a savings accountant for when they get out. I am not unbiased on this topic, as we have had to take custody of my idiotic sister-in-law's kids. She has done them incredible harm, and she has completely screwed up my family in the process. I feel no sympathy for her at all, and I hope that jail is an absolutely miserable experience for her. It sure is for us, and we are innocent.

they have the right to receive health care....

They are being taking care of/watched supervised by the guards,administration, warden ,ect theyare the caretakers . If the prisoners don't recieve adequate health care.... then there will be questions, .there have been cases where prisoners did not recieve adequate health care,..have died..

Health care is a no brainer for me. Some prisoners can and do work, and often they are paid- but- we're usually talking under 50 cents an hour. How's someone going to pay for health insurance or health care with that? Providing health care is a burden we must bear as a part of the system. To not do so would be equal to cruel and unusual punishment- heck, with some health issues, the results of failure to treat could easily be considered worse than straight up, medieval style, torture. None of us want that on our hands. So, since we're not into that, we provide healthcare for prisoners. Usually it's not as good as what is available outside of prison, if that makes you 'deny them everything' folks feel better..

\

I think they should have access to NECESSITIES and nothing more. Education is a PRIVILEGE in my mind. Some law-abiding citizens struggle to put their kids through school simply because they can't afford it. So why should a criminal be able to get an education while in jail and get their GED or High School diploma?

No tv or internet, either. Sure, give them books to read and a job to keep them busy. But I don't think they should be allowed to have luxuries that law-abiding citizens sometimes can't even have.

Also, I am FOR capital punishment. 'Nuff said.

With that same attitude though, one might say that kids are luxuries and therefore, should only be had when someone can afford to provide the neccessities for the child.

Working for a state correctional institution I can answer why we can't use all this 'captive labor force' for what ya'll want. You can't force prisoners to work anymore. Not only that but there are so many human rights activists and such there are restrictions out the wazoo. Can't work above this temperature, below that one, this many hours, blah blah blah blah only when the moon is facing north on a winter equinox.. you get the point, lol... Where people have wanted to give them so many rights and privileges we are unable to do what we have done in the past.

I have no issues with GED's. I am a little iffy about the college courses though. I wish they would at least make these people pay for these things if they were able. Health care? They have to pay $100 a year here if they have the funds. That is only if they see medical over their yearly physical (including eye appointment and dental).

Inmates here don't get internet access (I think they get some intranet access for college courses though), but they can receive emails that come through the mail (print them off to send them). They do get tv though, one TV to a dayroom (about a 27" maybe a bit bigger) between the hours of 8am and 10pm (until midnight on weekends). However there has been talk of small tv's available for them to purchase.. I'm not sure how I feel about that one.

I'm all for making them work more, myself. The problem is with all the budget cuts, facilities being closed, and already low on staffing numbers it is close to impossible to have the kind of supervision that would be needed. On my satellite at my unit at night we have 8 officers supervising almost 600 inmates. Tell me, without some kind of privileges to keep them entertained and occupied.... how long do you really think the 8 of us with only 5 oz of pepper spray on our person could keep control of them all? Unfortunately happy inmates are controllable inmates.

Unfortunately happy inmates are controllable inmates.

Good points, DiluteMe. I just watched a documentary on the 1980 prison riot at New Mexico Penetentery. This is an extremely dangerous environment, what with the ratio of guards to inmates and inmates outside of cells. Any time inmates gather together in community areas (such as would be required for work duty) the risk of losing control explodes.

Dilute makes good points. I work in a privately managed, medium custody, adult male prison. Prison is a distinction that needs to be made here because there is a huge difference in prison, detention and jail.

We house 1266 adult male inmates. All have been convicted of a felony and sentenced to at least 2 years. We have about 245 employees, about 100 or so are custody.

The inmates get adult basic education, english as a second language and some special education classes at no cost to them except participation. They can take some very limited college courses but they must pay for them up front and if they get in trouble and get locked up or transfered they do not get reimbursed.

Km inmates earn good time. The laws change so it depends on their crime and sentencing date how much they earn. It could be as much as 3 days earned for every one day served. All of the good time that they earn is subject to their good behavior. If they act out, they can loose significant amounts or even all of it.

Inmates must program to earn good time. They go to school or work or a combination of the two for at least 6 hours, 5 days a week. They can be court ordered to attend GED classes.

We also have the largest thereputic community program in the state. The program is full time and is for addiction treatment. It provides treatment for all sorts of addictions and is a 2 year program. The inmates can be court ordered to attend or it can be voluntary. They are paid as well as earn good time at an accelerated rate if they participate but they can loose good time AND have to pay restitution to the program if the do not abide by the program rules. They are drug tested monthly.

They have cable TV and 2 TVs per pod. 66 inmates per pod, 2 man cells. The cable and the TVs come out of the inmate welfare fund which is funding obtained through inmates spending money in the inmate commissary. In the commissary they can buy .10 packages of ramen for .75, so the profit margin in there is pretty good. They are provided three meals per day free of charge. The average cost of one of those free meals is about .70.

The highest paying inmate job is around $2 an hour. All inmates pay restitution and must contribute a % of any money they make, including money sent to them by friends and family, to a "release monies fund". All discharging inmates get a check for about $75.

Healthcare is free to them but they cannot access ANY elective services. They have absolutely no say in their triage, diagnosis or treatment. They cannot get a second opinion.

Some inmates do get to order fast food about once per month. They have to pay for the food from their own account as well as the extra staff labor involved in ordering and delivering the food. They have to be very good boys and have the money to take advantage of this privilege.

Just for the record, I am NOT an inmate sympathizer. There are inmates in there that should not still be breathing but those are only a small of the population. 95% or more of our inmates will get out eventuallyand those are the ones that rehabilitative efforts are aimed at. I am a captain and have been at this prison for almost 15 years. It is not a pretty place at all and I have to work hard to not become institutionalized even though I get to come home most nights. Those 16-30 yo first time offenders have little chance of regaining any semblance of productive citizenship without these programs.

All states are different in administration of the criminal justice system and different levels of custody get different levels of privilege. Our inmates are not approved to go out in the community unrestrained except for a very small minimum restrict work crew. Most of the population would be a huge flight risk so working outside the fence is not feasible. There are minimum level facilities that have community work crews though.

Inmates do have rights. They have the right to be treated like human beings

equinitis,

Very good post, very informative, & definitely gives more people a better idea of what you are trully dealing with. PD

Thanks guys. It is interesting to know how much my feelings have changed since going to work here. I used to be in hive them bread and water and work them 18 hours per day camp. I now know that the vast majority of these guys ate going to get out eventually. I do not agree with every facet of our criminal justice system but I can certainly understand why some if it is like it is.

I teach a lot of hours in our officer academy and I ask every class how many of them had NEVER done something that could have gotten arrested if they had gotten caught. Not a felony type thing but something simple; driving after two or three cold ones, toilet papering a house, under age drinking, tried some weed, etc. Most people have done something in their lives.

The majority of the inmates are in for drugs, theft, DUI, fraud, embezzlement, etc. NM makes them pay restitution and child support if applicable.

Some states are better than others at accountability but they are all trying with what we, the voters, let them do.

I watched some other prison documentaries yesterday and I think those with first hand experience are telling it like we need to hear it. Prison is not somewhere anyone wants to be. Looks to me like rights and privileges for prisoners are in all of society's best interest as they are what keeps these people from becoming complete animals while incarcerated.

I watched some other prison documentaries yesterday and I think those with first hand experience are telling it like we need to hear it. Prison is not somewhere anyone wants to be. Looks to me like rights and privileges for prisoners are in all of society's best interest as they are what keeps these people from becoming complete animals while incarcerated.

Keep in mind there's virtually no such thing as a truly unbiased documentary or news report or article, etc etc etc one way or the other.

Keep in mind there's virtually no such thing as a truly unbiased documentary or news report or article, etc etc etc one way or the other.

true, although i think it is a logical step to conclude that inmates that sit around for the duration learning no skills, not being productive in some way, not earning what priviledges are available, having no incentive to behave in a peaceful and responsible manner probably = an inmate that will be BACK. how can you (if you have a brain in addition to a pulse) conclude that an inmate with no skills, work or social related, can manage to reintegrate out there? in fact, if i'm not mistaken there is a certain percentage of recidivism based on ex-cons wanting to go back into the joint..

(wait a minute--this sounds like a lot of teenagers or young adults today :thud: . )

I've attended high schools in a low income area and a higher income area.

Both of them taught the same curriculum with the same books, both of them had lots of enrichment programs (the poorer school actually had more state & federal funding).

One had a 90% graduation rate, the other had something like 35%.

The difference was the attitudes of the students and parents.

One was a crab bucket school. Anyone who had the drive & desire to learn and wanted to escape to a better life, had to fight off the mental & physical attacks of the crabs who kept pulling them back into the bucket of ignorance.

In the "low income" school the majority of parents didn't care if their son or daughter 1) went to school 2) did their homework 3) graduated 4) could read above the level of a fast food menu.

The kids that wanted to succeed generally came from families at a near by Air Force base, were of Asian or European heritage, or from immigrant families who moved to the US to build a better life for their kids.

The one thing that bothers me about Head Start is that it started in the 1960s and billions have been spent for this and other programs for the past 40+ years. Why has literacy decreased so dramatically during the same time frame?

just take a gander at these boards, and examine the way people text off their phones.

how r u?

apparently, literacy is NOTa priority amongst people who are *running free* and falling down man holes in new york city while texting when they're walking (and causing tax payers' money due to accidents).

oh dear, and we criticize inmate programs.

Just because there are illiterate morons all over the world doesn't mean the morons who commit serious nasty crimes and end up behind bars deserve better than non criminal morons. Idiocy isn't criminal. (lol... I'm biting my tongue for the sake of my point :lol:)

just take a gander at these boards, and examine the way people text off their phones.

how r u?

apparently, literacy is NOTa priority amongst people who are *running free* and falling down man holes in new york city while texting when they're walking (and causing tax payers' money due to accidents).

oh dear, and we criticize inmate programs.

I really do not think you of all people should be commenting on anyone's literacy or lack thereof.

You are aware that sentences should start with a capital letter, correct??

How do you stay sane and sentient in an environment with a constant echo and constant noise where everyone is out to kill you, locked in a 6x8 18-24hrs a day without something to earn n look forward to?

unless you have the mental and emotional discipline of a guy like nelson mandella you DON'T.

unless you have the mental and emotional discipline of a guy like nelson mandella you DON'T.

So once these people's time is up, you want these criminals who have been locked up with no stress relievers for years, released among the public?