SerahRose

Random Facts You Know

Was having a conversation with someone about cold, and somehow the topic of absolute zero came up, and the fact that I knew what absolute zero was surprised them, and also the fact that I could give them the "number" of absolute zero (-459.67ยบ F)

So what totally random factoids can you spout off and surprise people with?

The car make, Subaru, became a financial sponsor for a program called Pilots n Paws. Amateur pilots (think people who have dayjobs, but fly their small planes just for fun on the weekends) fly rescue dogs across the nation, so that these already stressed dogs don't have to travel for hours on end in the back of some SUV.

Some lady fell in love with a dog, but this dog was on the other side of the country. She started asking around to create a sort of puppy-train, but then finally one friend one-upped her and offered to fly the dog himself. That very same day, Pilots n Paws for born! These pilots don't earn a single cent but do it for the love of dogs and flying. It's pretty neat!

I read this in a book I'm reading right now about dog rescueing. The very day I read this part of the book, I was cold-calling Subaru so I actually started using it as an "icebreaker" and little fun fact to help warm up my cold call, LOL.

Edited by chino is neato007

My "factoids" aren't really all that surprising, but my Boy2? He is the KING of random knowledge. At least once every time we see him we have to stop and look at him like :blink: .

The closest thing I an come up with off the top of my head is this: many prairie plants have root systems that are at LEAST as deep as the top portion is tall, and sometimes 3-4 times that. For instance, big bluestem and indian grass can have root systems as deep as 20' or more. In addition, about 25% of the root systems die off every year and regenerate the following year, creating their own compost, so to speak, material alive with microorganisms and mycorrhizal fungii . So, prairies (and past wetlands) are singularly responsible for the high fertility of the midwestern soils.

Lol okate.

I have head of pilots n paws through the potcake place rescue on the island...amazing the things people will do for animals.

Red-i would have never guessed that...

Gh-of course you have lots of prairie factoids! Hehe. Root systems are pretty amazong...isn't it the redwoods that share a giant root system? Or some other famous tree forest...I'm not utd on that factoid. Lol

Gh-of course you have lots of prairie factoids! Hehe. Root systems are pretty amazong...isn't it the redwoods that share a giant root system? Or some other famous tree forest...I'm not utd on that factoid. Lol

Lol, yeah. Like I said, not all that obscure, really, but not a lot of people know, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised about the redwoods and a colonial root systems. I know poplars/birches/aspens/sumacs are typically colonial species but I don't know about the redwoods. Any species of tree can graft into their neighbor's root systems, but some are, by nature, colonial.

My "factoids" aren't really all that surprising, but my Boy2? He is the KING of random knowledge. At least once every time we see him we have to stop and look at him like :blink: .

The closest thing I an come up with off the top of my head is this: many prairie plants have root systems that are at LEAST as deep as the top portion is tall, and sometimes 3-4 times that. For instance, big bluestem and indian grass can have root systems as deep as 20' or more. In addition, about 25% of the root systems die off every year and regenerate the following year, creating their own compost, so to speak, material alive with microorganisms and mycorrhizal fungii . So, prairies (and past wetlands) are singularly responsible for the high fertility of the midwestern soils.

Relating to this one: trees almost always have a root system as large as their crown. Same width and depth.

Gold is 19.32 times heaver than water :)

But...a pound of gold and a pound of water still weight the same, right? LOL

Relating to this one: trees almost always have a root system as large as their crown. Same width and depth.

Actually, root systems can be up to four times the width of the canopy, but are typically at least one and a half times. You would not believe the number of people who underestimate tree size and root spread and are shocked when the tree starts trying to take out their septic system and leaky foundations.

ETA: Ozzy is one of the ones who will not run into trouble planting their trees too close to the house. :winking:

Edited by Greenhaven

Most livestock with full breached births usually means there is a twin birthing and you better get ready to pull another out...

Chickens can prolapse also, but most people think its cannibalism in their flock when they find the prolapsed hen too late..High egg producers are more susceptible to have this issue

AD

in England, the body of the auto is called by different names.

The "Hood" is the roof, the "Bonnet" is the hood, and the "Boot" is the trunk!

domestic cars tail lights turn on when the car is running, whereas imports only turn on if you turn your lights on, just not have the day time ones running.

I know the word 'cacography' is seldom used, but there's a LOT of it going around. (even spellcheck doesn't recognize it)

and looking at the cacography map, I seem to live there more than not..! :-)

AD

I've noticed that! :ashamed0002:

the american city with the highest tax rates (21.6%) is bridgeport, connecticut. (this is only city tax) :twitch: .

Did you know that the first flushing toilet shown on the big screen was in the bathroom scene of "Psycho?"

I do a random fact of the day each day on the library door, that was my last one.

Did you know that the first flushing toilet shown on the big screen was in the bathroom scene of "Psycho?"

I do a random fact of the day each day on the library door, that was my last one.

Now THAT is a random fact, lol!!!! :rotf:

Gold is 19.32 times heaver than water :)

But...a pound of gold and a pound of water still weight the same, right? LOL

Actually, no, a pound of water heavier than a pound of gold. They are weighed on different systems. A pound of water is 16 ounces, while a pound of gold is only 12 ounces. The ounces are also different. Here is a good link that explains the difference. http://lynncoins.com/troy_ounce.htm

Edited by Pep'N'Ann

I've worked in a chicken house and know if you throw an egg and scream the chickens will scream to and attack the egg when it lands. I was a teenager when I worked there so......

Edited by rosy

Stage four or "REM" sleep is when you actually dream, and when you wake up in this sleep cycle you are the most tired.