Sign in to follow this  
Emminim

How Much To Charge For Training And Breaking?

Hey guys, I'm picking up some side work training and breaking some horses....The problem is I've never actually charged for my services until now. So I thought I would ask y'all what the "going" rate is. I know it varies from region to region so to give you some info, I live in Western Ky, gas is currently $3.55, I would be going to their place to do the training, it is undecided at this point whether we are going to do hourly pay or a flat payment per horse (multiple horses involved).

Thoughts on this because I have NO clue what to charge.

Nim

Well... Depends on how much experience you have and if you are really all that good at what you do. How long have you been training? How do you start the horses? What results have you had with the horses?

^Yes it definitely depends on the above. However, this is what I used to do.

When I was a teenager I'd charge $10/hr and I would include drive time, and gas was probably the same as now, maybe a little cheaper. That was for breaking horses- I charged by the hour because I had to do everything- like go find wild wooly ponies out in the pasture catch them up etc. etc. That was 6 or 7 years ago

When I had the opportunity to bring horses to my farm and train I would charge $20 per day per horse.

I would recommend charging by the hour if you are going to the horse because it takes more time. Its easier to charge a flat fee when you have the horse at your farm where you can control the scheudle of the horse to fit yours.

Good luck!

Edited by dapplefred5

You maybe could get an idea from ads on Craigslist. There's one on there now for someone in the Louisville area. Check Lexington listings too.

When I was doing mobile training (going to the homes of the owners and working with both horse and owner) here I charged $35/lesson plus milage at $.35/mile for any location more than 5 miles from my home...and charged round trip.....that was when I started doing it. When I last did it the cost was up to $45/lesson with milage remaining the same. The reasoning was that it took me usually somewhere around 2 hours.....had to work with the horse and get it understanding the lesson for the day/week and then with the owner to get them able to do homework for the week and do it correctly and understand why they were doing what was being done, what to do with potential problems etc. Of course there was also a lot of other info passed along as well as many of these owners were first time horse owners (often with newly adopted BLM horses due to the low cost of obtaining these) and so had little to no basic horse care knowledge, safety knowledge etc and lots of "I heard......." stuff that just wasn't even close to accurate. On my first visit there was a written three page evaluation of the horse done with the owner participating and then we sat down and scored the horse's performance (at whatever level he was) and worked up a "lesson plan" for the horse. Additional evals were done at specific intervals to see where the horse and owner were progressing and where more work needed to be done.