rattusrat

If You Only Had One Choice Of Horse Breed...

If you had the chance to see one horse breed that you've never seen before which one would it be? And why?

Breed: Marwari

Why: Simply because I find them fascinating. I just found out that they have 4 Marwari at the Kentucky Horse Park, the only ones in the U.S. Hopefully I'll be able to visit there some day and see them "in person"! :smilie:

Edited by rattusrat

Oh I would love to see a Kathiawari. I would settle for a Marwari though. If I couldn't see one of those I'd love to see the Sugarbush Draft.

A foal out of a Molly Mule that had a horse stallion cover her....... thats what I want to see.. "Totally Awesome" is what I would name it!

AD

Edited by Alaskandraft

Pure black Arabian gelding.

Love the color, and the way they flag their tails as they gallop across the ground.

Also have found that an Arab chooses the owner/rider, not the other way around.

They have a regal bearing, and are usually not very tall, so it is a shorter fall when I don't pay attention. LOL, LOL!

:yay:

I have always wanted to have the opportunity to see and ride a Rocky Mountain horse. Not as fancy or rare as some of the other options listed.

This was harder than I originally thought to think of one! I thought of a few different breeds, but then remembered that I had actually seen one before at the Horse Fair or the Horse Park.

But I would like to see a real Shetland pony (not just a generic pony that someone's trying to pass off as "Shetland" because it's the only pony breed they've heard of). I think they're cute with all their fuzz and shortness.

I'm going to have to google some of these breeds because I've never heard of them.

The Nokota. I've been doing a lot of research on them recently...I realllllly want one.

I like them too! I found one on a sale site that was goorgeeeousss. Too bad he was down in the States and way out of my price range.

I'd love to see an Ahkal Teke as well.

I like them too! I found one on a sale site that was goorgeeeousss. Too bad he was down in the States and way out of my price range.

I'd love to see an Ahkal Teke as well.

There are some way cool Nokotas out there.

I like the idea of akhal tekes...but have heard that when they are bred in the us they lose that sheen...something to do with nutrients found in their native soils that we lack here.

I just googled images of the Nokota horse, they are gorgeous!! I would love to see on of them too.

Whoot! hehe. There is a sale of the ND Badlands horses this October...and while the horses in the park are no longer considered Nokota, they do still have similar type/look. I really want to go to the sale. But that would be trouble, you know...looking but not buying.

I went to the last ND Badlands horse sale. The sale was packed! I think all but 8 horses went to homes, the other 8 to kill buyers. It was a very interesting sale and overall prices went for higher than I had expected. I love the Badlands horses and hope to someday have one of my own once I have my own land. They are very stout and sturdy horses. The park also tends to have a high number of roans as well as grays and pintos.

We used to have a board member here who bred them. In Illinois, if I remember right.

one of our neighbors is an akal teke breeder, and they have a huge horse show for breeders throughout europe once a year. i do so NOT want to ride one. they all look psycho (nervous, nervous, nervous) but apparently make great endurance horses.

i got a lusitano gelding two years ago. i was a hard core tb lover before. i LOVE this breed. willing, clever, comfortable, handsome and OBEDIENT--whoa is every bit as good as go. i don't ever want to sit on anything else again.

they can put their bodies anywhere you ask them to. incredible.

Barnbarb, those little mutt ponies are Shetland, if they are tall enough (40"), stocky enough and have the longer pony body. They aren't the purebred ones you see in the UK, but they are descended from the Shetlands that were shipped over here to work in coal mines as pit ponies.

The saddest thing is that they are harder to find because of the influx of mutt minis out there. Some knotheads even breed Shetlands to minis and end up with a weird looking mini mutt that is far too weak to carry a child for any distance, too tall to be a mini and too short to be a Shetland. It is rare to see a strong, stocky, little Shetland Pony anymore. We're lucky to have two, but they were not easy to find. They aren't registered, but they have all the characteristics and personality of the breed. The registered ones are neat, too, but even harder to find. Most are the more modern, Hackney-crossed, American Shetlands anyway. Even their Foundation Shetlands look too fine boned for me. They are pretty, but not the fuzzy little butterballs Shetlands usually are over in Scotland.

I just took in this little wild Shetland gelding from a farm nearby. He was destined for a bad local auction (she was going to load him up with her cull cows). He is fairly young, timid and scared, but he is coming around slowly. We hope to have him tamed enough to halter and lead in a few weeks. He didn't even have a name. :( We call him Feargus (Gus for short).

TheaandGus019_zps0e6d9935.jpg

TheaandGus015_zpsc52ff432.jpg

Edited by Little Cow

I'd love to meet a Cleveland Bay.

Meet Spirit, Cleveland Bay extraordinaire!

183865_10151223000033480_1386903562_n.jpg

If he's any representative of the breed....he's super sweet and aims to please. I know he doesn't live up to their athleticism standards, though! lol

LC that little Shetland is just adorable!

I'd like to see a herd of Mustangs in the wild, running free. I fear that image will be totally obsolete in the not so distant future.

a falabella - because I can't imagine that there is a horse/pony smaller than a mini.

Me too!

Or a dancing lippizaner.

I just googled all of those because I've never even heard of them!!!

I thought most of them were beautiful. Didn't really like the shiny coat one. Nokota is really pretty!!!