Sign in to follow this  
John Masters

Has Anyone Tried Ranch Sorting?

I have not seen any posts on this so I will ask. Has anyone on here tried ranch sorting, or team penning? If not you should try it out. If you have share your experiences.

well yes i have , and do every thursday afternoon. what do you want to know? our cows are zebus. small, wild and competetive from sri lanka--the cow if choice for cutting. most of us ride lusitanos who come from the bull ring who go up and over, rather than down and around.

the biggest obstacle for us is since the cows are small, when the horses go up and over you can't see the cow anymore lol!!

but it's lot of fun, and the BEST dressage teaching EVER.

I have competed in both team penning and ranch sorting quite a bit. I just like a good working cow horse discussion no matter what breed of horse the cowhorse is. When we team pen or ranch sort we use beef cattle usually a herford mix, but sometimes we work with the more expensive angus calves. I have worked with corriente (sort of like the zebu but without the awesome horns) cattle and they get pretty squirrelly sometimes and will run under your horse. I have been using QH, TB's, and an Appendix horse to work cattle mostly, but there may be a future lusitano sporthorse that could be available for me to ride some.

i hear you. since i started sorting cows last year with this lusitano (and these zebus, horns and all, are pretty challenging) i've progressed so much with my interest in dressage because it comes naturally to the horse.

what is a lusitano sport horse?? ours are just *lusitanos*, come from the bull ring (viega line--google interagro farms in brazil), and are built very *uphill*. they can come from behind for anything from running away from a bull, turning and burning on a calf, jumping 2 meters or pulling a 4 in hand. if you've only ridden the horses you've cited, might feel wierd at first to ride a horse that is naturally so *uphill*.

fun discussion. thank you for starting it.

btw, if you're interested in getting an eyefull of how lusitano's work watch the youtube video of merlin. (go to youtube and type in merlin horse).

not that my horse can move like merlin or that i can ride like that guy :ph34r: ...

We have always called anything but a QH that is crossed with a TB a sporthorse. And yea that is an awesome horse. I would be on the bulls level with my mare, she gets so low i can almost touch the ground with my feet when we work the grown cattle.

Used to do team penning,it was a lot of fun, especially if the calves know how to play!

Watched some head and heel, not good with a rope so never got into that.

Never got to sort cattle, it looks like fun,

Me and my crew rode QH or Arabs.

Thats what's around here.

Some Arabs are pretty cowwy, just pick a soft spot to land.

I have seen some nice Arabs around, we haven't done to much cow work with them here though. The great thing about ranch sorting is that you can take grandmas horse and be reasonably succesfull.

seriously? with zebus you need a horse with plenty of confidence, especially with the bull. they're cheeky critters.

right now my biggest challenge is putting a good stop on my horse. there's one rascal (his name is indianer) who has a sliding stop that leaves us shooting by with no end in sight. then he does a little buck and trots back to his buddies.

Well with the beef calves you can do an little better than the roping steers. I have had older ladies on fijord horses do OK...no clean runs but they had a ball because they weren't just blown out of the water by a failure. I have been reasonably lucky and been able to put a pretty good set of brakes on all my horses.

My made was terrified of the cattle when I first put her on them, but after some work she really picked up on what we were doing. Now she is like a heat seeking missile and she will run over a calf if I asked her too ( not that I would).

my gelding has started kicking stubborn cows in the backside if they refuse to move or just stomping the ground with his front hoof. seems to work quite well.

i've started running him in a rope hackamore. makes for a nice change because i think i'm being a lot more effective with my seat, legs and weight distribution.

we have an internal competition this weekend. i'll see if i can get some photos, because they're will be all kinds of horses (including gaited) taking part.

Yup, many moons ago, I did both cattle penning and working cowhorse.

Even got talked into trying steer daubing at one show, on my mare that had never been in a box, nor had I ever tried steer daubling

For those not familiar with the event, it is maybe just an Appaloosa event, going back to simulate some Indian horsemanship, using a pole with paint, rather than a lance/spear

Of course, my good 'cowboy' buddies, let me go first, as that was the order of our go, rather than allow me to ask to switch and at least see the event first!

Seemed simple enough. Each cow had a bulls eye painted on it's side, and your hit would be recorded by the paint.

Got my mare in the box beside the cow, and held the lance straight out, ready to daub that cow . Well, we come out of the box, with my horse trying to run sideways, as I have that pole stuck out on her left side. Thin I finally got some paint on some part of her body on the fer side of the arena.

Then I watched the pros go (who also rope ). Frank held that lance straight up, so not in the vision of the horse, and then just tipped it down at the right time, and nailed the bulls eye!

At least, as the third substitute member of their cattle penning team, filling in at the last minute, was proud that we won the cattle penning

Friends of our who have raised very successful working cowhorses (Appaloosas) , that win both breed and open, use buffalo in their training program, as they don't sour as quick as cattle

I raised several offspring of their stallion High Sign Nugget, with one going on to win the ApHC World championship in working cowhorse

Here is a link to their site, for those wishing to see some great Appaloosa Working Cowhorses (maybe buy one!! )

http://www.thunderstruckranch.com/

Dressage horses doing cow work, and how about a cowhorse doing some jumping?

We have a competition at Spruce Meadows every year, along with the Masters (International show jumping ), called the battle of the breeds, which consists of several events , with two members of each team entering each event.( Compulsory , obstacle trail, obstacle driving, barrels and jumping )

One year we were short a jumping horse,, so High Sign Nugget, who was there doing reining demos, jumped