Sign in to follow this  
CircleBHorseTrainer

How To Train Your Horse To Lay Down

Does anybody know a good method on training your horse to ly down? I recently just saw Clinton Anderson performing it with his horse "Mindy" and I thought it would be really cool to train my adult horse to do that. Any advice would be great!

easy. just give him/her a bath haha.

it starts with teaching them to yield to pressure everywhere, then to bow, sit and then lying down becomes the logical next step. it helps to have a horse who loves tasty treats (if they're nervous or unconfident treats are totally ineffective as an incentive), because you can use them to direct their nose.

i would look up circus tricks in google. it's not that difficult or complicated if you have a calm and food motivated horse.

not to *bribe* but if you have a horse that's calm and confident you can use them as an *incentive* on an intermittent basis. google "operant conditioning". it's how they teach laboratory rats to do things like press levers.

if you do it on a constant and regular basis you'll wind up with a mouthy horse that frisks you all the time. if he doesn't know if he's going to get it or not he'll *try* harder. but like i said, has to be a horse that is in a confident and learning state of mind.

I guess why question is 'why'

i can see the application in a trick horse, or for a handicapped rider, so they can get on, but other than that, I find I have way too much other under saddle things to teach my horse, than to worry about having him learn to lie down

I realize it is supposed to demonstrate trust;-the prey species putting himself in a vulnerable position upon request, but to me, I reserve laying a horse down, obviously against his own will, , as a last resort for a difficult horse

Not everything clinicans like CA demonstrate needs to be in the repritore of every horse owner-sometimes they demonstrate things just to show that they can be done-Ie like Parelli riding a horse into a horse trailer or jumping without any tack

well in our case it's something different to do during the winter months, and we don't force them to *lie down*, we teach them to yield to pressure everywhere--just like the classical dressage work. teaching your horse to do things like stand on a pedestal also have wider applications to things like trailer loading. crossing tarps at all gaits can equate to crossing water. jumping through a hoop covered with paper can equate to jumping through a hoop on fire. (i know somebody who actually got caught in a situation where she had to jump her horse over a fire to safety).

i taught my horse to stand still while i was standing on him. came in handy when a friend and i wanted to pick some cherries. it can ALL have wider applications and it can be fun and broaden the relationship. i think horses get bored TOO.

Thanks Nick for the advice. Now I gotcha! I would like to teach my horse to ly down becuase I think it would be cool. When you said I have to teach my horses things under- saddle. Well actually my horse has been professionally trained for 5 years. So I thought since my horse is already really good, then I could probably teach him a trick or two. I see what your saying by teaching them while under-saddle, and I would actually do the same thing if my horse was still in training. But since my horse doesn't need that and he is actually very good, then I thought I would just do this.

Well, never have stood a horse on a pedestal nor laid one down. My horses load because they lead. They cross rivers for the very first time when we take them into the mountains because they have learned both trust and obedience to the cues

There often is a extreme cowboy chellenge trail course left set up at the arena I ride at.. Wall of courage, riding into a dark tent, high curved bridge, Tarps , mattresses and other obstacles to walk over. My horses do them, and I never lay a horse down, so I accept wanting to do something different with the horses as a reason, but I don't find these obstacles necessary for basic good training

They have taken things like tarps and dry ice out of judged trail classes, but there was a time that they were common in trail courses

I have no problem with people doing different things with horses, but I do find that often some of these horses are truly not what I consider broke or well trained, and their mis behavior is quickly put down to boredom

Trail riding is about as good as anything for a horse to help break up routine. Take them out and cross some fast flowing rivers, show them a herd of wild elk, allow them to pick their way down a very steep mountainside, allow them to negotiate a schale slope, with a sheer drop off, encounter mountain bikes, cross an actual bridge over a bog-that gets a horse thinking and broke.

Laying a horse down, teaching a horse to rear on cue, all belong to teaching a trick horse in my books. JMO

I take my horse on trails every Saturday of the week and they cross bridges, go through running water, jump over logs, show them to deer, go up mountainsides, and go down steep hillsides. I'm doing this because I just want to have a little fun with my horse and actually it doesn't take long to train a horse to lay down, from what I heard. I have one ranch horse that is totally broke and is accustomed to all of these and I have a reining horse. I would eventually want to participate in reining, but just never found the time. I just want to have a little fun and try to do something new.

we live in the foothills of the austrian alps. we have raging rivers, wild boar, icy slopes that go up to an elevation of 2600 meters, 2-wheelers barelling down the odd road we have to cross. but when it's -20° celsius outside with a chill factor twice that, well, it's fun to stay in the indoor and teach your horse silly tricks.

doesn't have to be a reason other than *it's fun* in my book.

]

Here's a video that was posted in another discussion. It shows what you need to do to teach your horse to lie down. If you want to train your horse to lie down, I hope you do it. It never hurt my horses and I didn't have any other reason than it was easy to get on them bareback (in the bow.) I never sat around and postulated about training benefits. I think any training that doesn't teach dangerous behavior is beneficial to the horse.