Sign in to follow this  
CircleBHorseTrainer

Extreme Cowboy Race

Hi I have seen Craig Cameron's Extreme Cowboy Race television show and thought it would be cool to participate in it. Does anybody know what kind of horse you need and what does it need to know to be able to be successful in the events. Thanks....

Gunner_zpsc9c9cd38.jpg

I do cowboy events up here in Canuckland. The winner of the pro level World Championship came to our last fun event.......to practice. Matter of fact he's been to several of them

I'd have to say that dead broke would be the first requirement at any level. Our baby level, pro World level.......or CC's.

To be a serious competitor I think the horse should be able to pick up the correct lead without asking more than once.......matter of fact a background in or familiarity with.,,,..reining,,,,...is a good thing. It's the accumlation of points along the way for leads, turns/spins and collection/correct/rounded body position..........along with speed.........that will set you above everyone else.

The rider...........should be able to do a good job at it. It's not just about staying on the horse for the obstacles. An event like CC's (from what I've watched in the past) is going to ask for horsemanship as well.

After that........it's IMO a matter of getting your horse to trust you implicitly. Exposing it to every obstacle you can think of. Along with whatever innovative or nasty thing your NEIGHBOR down the street can think of LOL The former being the more important of the two. Because there will always be someone that can think of "one more thing" that you haven't practiced for.

It's SO much fun doing these challenges if even at the local level. I hope that as the events become more and more popular that they don't become more........extreme or grandstandee (if you know what I mean) If they want to set the bar higher, the horsemanship should be focused on.....rather than increasing the severity of the obstacles.

Here's Jim Anderson's 2012 run:

Okay great! Well I have a reining horse that has been professionally trained and knows all of his leads and everything like that. I was going to use my ranch horse because he is more desensitized, but then again, he doesn't know spins and things that a reining horse would do. Also, how far is Cancuckland from Wilton? If it is really far do you know anybody near Wilton who does the EXCA? Last thing, do I need to become a member first to participate or can I just show up and participate in all of the events?

Sorry babe..........I meant Canuckland as in Canada so I'm thinking the drive might be a bit much LOL

And JA in fact is from Calgary, Alberta so it made his win that much more sweet.

But I found the website for EXCA. You might want to fire off an email to find out where the closest is, when the practices are etc.

http://www.extremecowboyassociation.com/clubs.html

And lookee here..........I see the name of Wilton, CA on the list:

Cosumnes River Extreme Cowboy Association Vicki Boyd Wilton CA 95693- (916) 687-8889 mustanggranny@frontiernet.net

As CR stated, it's not so much about breed as it is about training. A lot of the obstacles require pivots on the forehand or hind end, sidepassing, lope departures etc. I've really enjoyed it, and yes, I use my reining mare, but had to still put a lot of extra training into her. Fun training though. :) And I don't to EXCA, but there are usually local groups that do the same thing. Search in your area for Extreme Cowboy Races, Timed Obstacle or Obstacle Challenges, Trail Challenges, Competative Trails etc.

It really is a lot of fun for something different to do that still takes skill.

Okay thanks spottedtapps. Also, would you advise me to use my ranch horse that is super calm and know how to rope, kinda of the loping leads, and is not spooky at all. Or should I use my reining horse that knows all about reining, but is a little spooky on things?

That last video shows a really elaborate setup. What are entry fees and prize monies like?

I'd need a map in my hand for that course!

Circle B. Honestly, I'd just use the horse that you enjoy the most. The one that you are going to want to ride daily. If you are using your ranch horse, start working with him to push his body parts around on cue and work on more finute manuvers, spinning/sidepassing, leads etc. If using your reining horse, work on more obstacles, dragging things, over/under things etc.

Or use them both if you like to ride both. It's really just about fun. Different competitions judge differently. Some are strictly timed and it doesn't matter what you look like doing it. Some are strictly judged and you want to do everything correct and look good while at it.

I've found that I prefer the judged competitions, because I have no desire to haul butt throwing safety to the wind like the teenagers are! lol

Right now I'm doing the ACTHA competitions where you ride 6 or 7 miles and interspersed are the obstacles that are then judged.

I've found that I prefer the judged competitions, because I have no desire to haul butt throwing safety to the wind like the teenagers are! lol

I hear ya on THAT one Tappy ! LOL

I KNOW Shuffler ! Isn't that cool !! Can you imagine the cost to set something like that up? But I'd love to try it..........at a trot............

If they are doing their job right, no. They are looking for a clean horse in good health and fitness that has good fitting tack used appropriately. Knowledge and ability on both the part of the horse and rider. You don't have to have fancy show tack, but it needs to be good quality and well taken care of.

CR, The last 2 rides I've been to have had jump obstacles. My horse does not like to jump at all. She'll do it, but it isn't in the least pretty. So we've been lunging over jumps to get her more comfortable, because to be honest it's not the least bit fun wondering if/when/how high/how fast you are going to get over that jump. lol

I look at the rides that UT Cowgirls posts pics of. They look awesome and fun! Then the reality of some of those jumps she does kicks in and I'm like... yeah, that probably wouldn't happen. lol

My trail club does it's own version at a cattle ranch near Wilton. The course uses the river, downed trees, gates and there are always a few new tricky things to do.

The horses that do well are the ones that trust their rider, are calm & curious, have trail experience, can ground tie and know how to move every part of their body when cued.

For Consumes River Horseman I can send you a message when we place it on our calendar. It costs $22 single/$35 family per year to join. We have Spring-Fall 3 day camping, monthly day rides, 1 poker ride, 1 play day, 1 yahoo (bunco ride), 2 moonlight rides, 1 chili cook-off & ride, 1 Cowboy ride, do team penning & sorting, ride in the July Folsom Rodeo Cattle Drive, Placerville Christmas Parade & and a great Christmas party with lots of prizes and a DJ or the Old West Trio band. We meet the 1st Wednesday of every month at Denny's at 99 Fair Lane, Placerville.

Other Judged or Timed events:

Extreme Cowboy- http://www.extremecowboyassociation.com/

ACTHA-

https://www.actha.us/

Not Timed Events:

California State Horsemen's Association-http://www.trailtrials.com/

Okay. And how would I pay the money. Like is there a website or something?

For CRHA you pay the day of the ride or at a meeting.

For all of the others they have info at their websites on how to become members. I know people who went ACTHA rides that joined the day of the ride.

Craig Cameron (Extreme Cowboy) also has videos here at Horse City that seem to be at a clearance price of $1.95 & $4.95 instead of the original $19.99 price. http://horsecitystore.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=7&pg=1