Bluesma

Controversial Video- Man Shoots Horse In Defiance Of Animal Rights Activists

http://youtu.be/LeVc3TyiS0Q

THis is being discussed all over the web, and I was surprised that it wasn't brought up here.

The actual video in entirety is hard to find now, it has been taken down by Youtube. I saw it this morning though.

It shows a man (an employee of a New Mexico slaughterhouse) with a young horse, who says "For you animal activists, buck you!" (well, it wasn't a B actually...), then shoots the horse between the eyes. It drops immediately, dead, and he walks away.

I don't know if the horse had any health issues, or reason he might have been put down anyway (and the guy just took the opportunity to make a point at the same time). The horse looks young, and shows no sign of suffering or problem.

The method is shocking.... but I must admit that it has at least spurred people to focus on the issue and learn more about it and what the problem IS.

On the other hand, they are also in a state of emotional turmoil, which makes it harder for them to be reasonable or logical.

What do you think about this action?

I think this guy is just as stoopid as the kid who shot the dog and posted pics all over Facebook. I think his judgement was bad, extremely (what the heck is the word I am looking for? "deliberately jerking people' reactions into high gear?") but the horse was killed quickly (humanely) and was presumably NOT at a slaughterhouse under false pretenses.

Though I feel he was trying to make a point ("I can shoot my horse and you can't stop me. And while I'm at it, slaughter houses can kill this way too. See how quick it died?") I feel he did it the wrong way. To rash in his method of making a point. I don't mind the fact that a perfectly healthy horse was shot. It happens all the time. But I do not like what he said before. I'm not an AA but I don't think he had to say what he did to get his point across. Either way, it's been done. Said horse didn't seem alarmed with his owner, and went down quickly. As it should be done when putting a animal down.

If I'm not mistaken, this is something that happened in 2010 or 2011 and is now just being brought BACK up to the surface. I am not sure because the video is already taken down, but if it's the same one I saw going "viral" on FB a week or two ago, then it is, in fact, old "news" that is just getting dredged back up.

This is the first I've heard of the video being old. This fellow was supposedly interviewed by a local news channel and subsequently suffered some harassment at the hands of some AR people. I saw a news story on the proposed plant a couple of weeks ago but don't know if this was the same guy.

He claims that he eats horse several times a week and the original video goes on to show how the horse was processed. He acted stupidly and this video has supposedly gotten him fired and has caused quite an outcry, including demands that he be charged with cruelty for killing the horse.

Just to clear the air, there was nothing illegal about what he did. It is against the law in New Mexico to kill any animal without justification but justification is pretty easy. Killing to eat is perfectly legal.

The horse was calm when shot and it was dead before it hit the ground. A newspaper story told how the animal "fell to the ground trembling". Manipulative wording at best to anyone who has ever killed an animal.

This stuff makes me want to tear my hair out and Nash my teeth! If a person doesn't want their equines slaughtered then don't put them at risk. If you don't want to eat horse or cow or lamb then don't buy it. If you don't think there is a need for horse slaughter come to my house and let's go for a drive. You can see all of the skinny animals that have no value and no place to go. They have been and will continue to starve to death by the thousands each year. Come and rescue them all.

I knash my teeth, not Nash them! Stupid smart phone!

I actually think you gnash your teeth, but it is perfectly justified. :o)

For the first time ever I saw large herds of skinny, skinny horses, and it was while we were in the southwest. I just don't understand kee[ing horses you cannot feed. It is beyond my ken.

I know a few people barely keeping animals fed that are trying to get rid of them and nobody wants them. Granted they are 7+ and have extremely bad temperments but the people can't give them away. I have a feeling if they got to the point of not being able to afford the feed they would turn them loose to fend for themselves.

Etd to add. I don't know how I feel about the video I can't view it. Sounds like a bad idea but hey some people are full of bad ideas. At least the horse didn't suffer.

Edited by Brownie_Cinnamon_my_girlz

I had no idea this was old! It is being debated and gnashed about all over the web.

Well, I appreciated that it got people thinking about the subject of horseslaughter- evens ones that don't usually bother. It became an opportunity to inform them of the situation since the plants closed down. A lot of people just don't know.

I am obviously pro-slaughter, though I have some criticism about american plants selling the meat to other countries to be consumed. My criticism is that these horses were not raised for consumption with regulatory controls, so they could be subject of all kinds of medicine treatments, like Bute, or hormones, antibiotics... they could have diseases or illness which makes their flesh not fit for consumption.

The case of hormones or antibiotics may not alarm Americans, as they are used to those being their meat already, but in some other countries (particularly in Europe, and places where horse is eaten) such treatments are illegal to give to animals raised for human consumption.

What happens it that the horsemeat from coutnries which do not have any regulations or controls on horsemeat end up selling their meat really cheap- cheaper than the carefully bred and raised ones in those countries.... and the consumers unwittingly end up eating junk meat.

Of course, the consumers have the right and perhaps the responsibility, to inform themselves and buy accordingly- to choose the mroe expensive better quality. But most people simply aren't aware of this and focus on the question of whether or not to eat horsemeat- without considering whether or not it is packed with chemicals that aren't good for your health.

I think it is valuable to spread info!

it was the way he did it to get his point across that was disturbing.... actually here in my state, one cannot take an animal that has been already shot to the or into the slaughter house if shot outside.. It has to be killed at the slaughter house and processed. If one chooses One can kill their animal for meat at their place, dress it out, etc. We had pig that escaped from the trailer actually went through the metal slots, bent them tore it apart. Couldn't catch it, at the time My BIL went got his gun being we weren't to far from his place. found the pig, shot it. He took it to his place ,hung it, dressed it out etc. Slaughter house can't take in dead animals.

Deer hunters here take the carcass to meat processers to have them packaged. Couldn't do that if they had to be shot inside.

I watched the video on LiveLeak, it didn't have sound but I got the point. The only thing I can say I noticed, without regards to what he was saying, is that he seemed to handle the horse fairly, the horse was calm, he was calm, he patted the horse which indicates to me he has/had some degree of compassion for the animal, he shot in the right place and the horse went down right away and did not suffer. It couldn't have been a more humane death for that horse. If he ate the horse, more power to him, but with all the unwanted and starving animals right now if he needed to kill it because he couldn't feed it anymore, that is so much more noble than the person who lets their horses starve in the field or turns them loose to go to further burden an already heavily burdened environment, or on someone elses land, and makes their problem someone elses because they don't have the balls to take care of their own.

Not sure meat markets would be allowed to process horse meat for someone, or if there are any legalities there that would prevent that, but I know that wild game can be processed, such as deer, buffalo, elk, moose, bear, hog, etc. Horse is not considered wild game though. I know plenty of people that are able to process their own meat however, so horse wouldn't need to be brought to a slaughter house for them to be processed for their personal consumption.

These debates are so volatile. Theatrics are not going to help anyone. What a jerk! I hope he loses his job at the slaughterhouse, at the very least.

As far as the debate, well, I feel like there is very little middle ground ever discussed. Most of us are so sick and tired of theatrics and absolutes on both sides of the debate that we just avoid getting involved. The one thing everyone should realize is that the answer isn't yelling at strangers on the internet.

The average horseperson wouldn't dream of taking their beloved horse to auction. However, that doesn't mean we should eliminate that option altogether. In a free country, bad breeders will exist. Horses that are beyond the capability of most horse owners will exist. Horses beyond the capacity of the horse barns available will exist. In a perfect world, we could give them all a dignified death. Well, this isn't a perfect world. This is a country that allows free choice so every uneducated knucklehead with Gypsy Vanner, Polish Arabian, Sport Horse, or Spotted Horse Syndrome can and will own and breed an excess of animals. Big breeders will continue to make more horses than they need for the track or showing and dispose of them however.

We need options because the pound cannot take them all in. In addition, even the biggest bleeding heart can recognize that the Mexican slaughterhouses are so horrific that we should not allow our horses to go there. Keep the money here and collect a tax (I pay $1 for every cow I sell, just like all cattlemen) and use the money to educate people and house needy horses.

Still not good enough? You're right, it's not. That's why we should all examine our own area of the country and figure who is contributing to the auctions. Is it Amish horses? Or HYPP halter horses? is it a group of people over-breeding horses with poor conformation? Find the source of the problem and try to stop the flow of horses. Education for the young kids through Pony Club, FFA and 4H can help. Finding local alternatives or organizing gelding clinics will put a dent in the numbers of babies going to auction. You can even get on the board of your breed association and try to change the way horses are shown, if it's detrimental to the horses and the breed. If the kill buyers walk away empty-handed from your local auctions, you've done your job well. That should be the goal. Forget screaming at everyone else on the internet. Buckle down and get some work done.

I'm very sorry I watched that on Live Leak.

Theatrics is right.

Disturbing and callous..........but that was the point. Wasn't it.

It would have been easier to watch if he had treated the animal like.........meat. But that WASN'T the point of it. Was it.

Thank God for a well placed shot at least.

Edited by Cactus Rose

I think It's so sad, poor horse. that man is creep, if he is that way with animals I would hate to see how he is with people,

probley a real jack azz.

I fail to understand why he posted it. Yes, it was his horse and he was within his rights to shoot it. But why splash it all over the internet if he doesn't want to get nasty comments and start a bunch of trouble. Poor taste all the way around!

I read somewhere that he processed the carcass himself as his family eats lots of horse meat and it was bound for food anyway. I can understand getting very annoyed and angry at AR and emotional people who tend to anthropomorphize everything. Poor judgement and at a bad time just when slaughter is really making a much needed comeback to help this glut on the market. He fell prey and did just what they wanted. Dummy.

But I really don't care that he killed the horse and ate it. Horse died perfectly. Cant fault him there. Some people eat dog and cat. With all the excess strays here, we would never have hunger in America again if we werent so weirded out by that. Im not a believer in wasting things and I think any meat is fine if the animal is put down instantly.

I could probably eat any animal so long as it wasnt mine and wasnt a human of course. Makes not one lick of difference to me. Meat is meat in my book. I wish I could get cheval here as it is. Its much better for you and frankly, Id like something different than the same ol same ol. I dont want to and wouldnt eat MY horses unless the world was ending, but I would eat A horse.

Edited by Trinity

I have no problem with him shooting the horse. It was his horse to do with as he pleases. It was a humane end. However, my issue stems from the manner in which he did so. The video, and the behavior within, was not necessary.

I don't give a rats if the man ate the horse, buried it or stuffed it and put it in his living room.

If "you" can excuse his behaviour because he "had plans to eat it" ? Really? That's a good enough excuse for his behaviour?

Man - we've got to get back to the credo of "if you can't stand for something - you'll fall for anything" His behaviour is WRONG

What is sick and disturbing and questionable and uncalled for...............is POSTING it on the flippin' internet while angrily pointing a finger at PETA or animal lovers or whomever he is "I'll show them" ing.

To me - it is no different than any other killers that do so to get attention and notoriety. They are all cut from the same bolt of nasty stinking cloth.

Internet has so many good aspects to it. Social connection.........information.........business.

But this seedier side of it...........all I can say is...........it sure opens my eyes to just how many twisted people are out there.

Matter of fact I think that the anonimity that internet provides ENCOURAGES this kind of crap.

We are ALL part of the degradation of society as a whole because of it.

Edited by Cactus Rose

the INTERNET doesn't kill people. people kill people. :( always an excuse, never a reason.

i agree with you wholeheartedly.

Nobody excused his behavior. He is clearly a jackarse that cant control his emotions. I just dont think killing the horse was a big deal even tho lots of ppl do.

Hmm, another thought as to why this bothers people.

Everyone knows that women dominate the horse world. So, this guy, who is obviously trying to get attention, shot his horse while filming it as a 'statement' of sorts. He could have just done it purely for the reasons stated. But humans tend to be much more complicated than that. He could have issues with women, too. Maybe not, but it does make me wonder. There is an old saying about men who hate cats and their relative feelings towards women. Maybe, in this case, his anger towards women came out in a graphic public violent act against horses. Sorry to get all 'Freudian' on you guys. :happy0203:

Freud away LC.

That theory has possibilities.

And is also in keeping with the concept of cowards venting their anger and directing their violence towards beings that are unable to protect themselves........and while being given a public venue (internet) to gain notoriety (aka big powerful scary man) .

He is clearly a jackarse that cant control his emotions

Sounds like Trinity might agree too.

It most ASSUREDLY wasn't simply about "shooting a horse"

Otherwise the bick sastard would have just taken his shot and threw a steak on the BBQ in private.

Edited by Cactus Rose

If we want to get into deeper psychological processes- there could be a LOT in play here!

In America, there is the very heated controversy about firearms, added to the slaughterhouse issue. The personal right to have and use them and even kill with them.

As well as the very masculine-valuing culture, in which feminine type emotional vulnerability, empathy, and desire to nurture or heal is de-valued as being weak, and strength valued as lying in ones ability to detache from those sentiments and "do what has to be done."

Makes some people want to prove they can do that-publicly, confirmed by others.

The more people get into a uproar of anger, the more they become the sentimental woosies, and him the strong guy, by comparision. When we get upset, it is probably exactly what he intended and enjoys. We're the "emotional herd" then.

I had a thought too, that without the slaughterhouses, owners are forced to do this themselves more often. That would make me a bit resentful. Honestly I'd rather that be done out of my sight, by a professional with strictly regulated humane methods. In my resentment at having to do this and see it myself, I might get a bitter urge to make those who forced me to do it myself have to watch it also. If I have to, then they might as well to, since it was their fault .

I don't know if that makes sense, and perhaps has nothing to do with this man.... or if it could on those deeper levels of consciousness we were talking about...