Sign in to follow this  
SevenJack

Montana Residents!

Hey all,

I haven't been on here for a looooong time, but it's come a time in my life when I need a lot of support and advice wherever I can get it, and I know the members of these forums span a demographic both far and wide. Just last week, my husband came home from work and told me he's filing for divorce. It came as a complete surprise, and I've been having a really hard time with it. At the same time, I've been interviewing for jobs as I will be graduating in May. In the interest of getting out of this place and starting fresh, I am looking at taking a position in Kalispell, MT. This is 17 hours away from my closest friend or relative, and I would be moving 3 or 4 horses, 5 chickens, 3 dogs, a cat, a hamster, and a betta fish. If anyone is familiar with the area or has any advice at all on making a life change like this, moving cross country with horses, etc, I would surely be indebted to you. I need to know what it's like out there. Is hay easy to come by? Is it very dry most of the time so grass doesn't grow? What are the people like? What type of boarding situations are available? What is the cost of living like? I know Montana is a monstrous state, but I just need an idea of if this is a good idea. I've been wanting to live in the mountains my entire life. Now I'm free to do as I please, and now may be that time. Thank you to all of you!

I know there are a couple Montana folks on these boards so I will give this a bump for you.

I have never lived in the state, but my husband and I are looking into moving there within the next year (southwestern MT). I do have relatives in the Kalispell/Whitefish area. From what research I have done into moving there, it does seem like Montana has relatively low wages for the cost of living. Kalispell I don't think is as bad as some other cities such as Bozeman. Even Whitefish I think has much higher real estate prices. Here is one boarding facility I found in the Kalispell area. I am sure there are others as well. http://www.ranchm.com/prices.php

Edited by sddeadeye

Montana is gorgeous. I just moved from there. I lived outside of Missoula though.

The wages are low and cost of living is ridiculously high. Kalispell is pretty much a tourist town being that Glacier National Park is within twenty-thirty miles.

Montana has been in drought for quite a few years. Hay prices last year were fairly decent but the year before it was running about 250.00 a ton. Depends on the fuel prices and summer rain of course.

Kalispell has quite a bit of horse activity. They have the Magestic Arena that holds PRCA rodeos/PBR rodeos/Shows/Horse Clinics. It's also well known for "The Event" at Rebecca Farms, it's a three day event. Olympic equestrians, etc.

I miss the landscape and wild life but I do NOT miss the winters. lol

I'm going to suggest that you wait for awhile before you run from this horrible, painful, soul crushing situation.

All of us need our family or friends support when our life falls apart.

Your situation will get worse for awhile before it gets better.

If your far from the love and support you'll need during this rough patch in your life. It will make this entire situation even harder to face and over come.

Being able to physically be in the presence of someone who loves and cares for you. Is so much more healing than talking to them on the phone.

When the dust has settled and you've found your balance and peace inside. Is the time to look for new adventures and a newer and happier life.

Thanks guys for the input/advice! It's been a few more days, and I'm still torn. Here's the situation as it stands:

I find out Wed if I get the job here at the local hospital. If I do, I'll happily stay. I run the risk of seeing my husband and/or his family, as they are all from around here, and apparently hate me (they've been blocking me online, like I'm going to do something to them???? and won't talk to or acknowledge me - very dramatic, all of them). I'll deal b/c I feel like I've been the bigger person here, granted we haven't battled out the division of assets yet.

If I don't get the job here, I'll have to move, and I feel like wherever it is that I start, I'll have to stay for at least two years. That's kind of why I was looking for somewhere that I feel like the environment might sustain me a bit since I'll be away from friends and family. The next closest positions are about 4 hours away in the middle of a huge group of cities, and I just don't know if that's the kind of place I want to be.

They say that you should never make a big decision when you're sad, but I don't know how I can possibly wait. I graduate in May and I need to start working right after, or all of these animals and myself are going to starve. I don't know guys...

This has been rambley - kind of like the inside of my head. But I certainly appreciate everyone's insight!

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

I'm sorry, it seemed from your original post that you were so hurt and devastated. That you were fleeing as far and as fast as you could from the care and support of family and friends.

That's why I suggested staying there.

The fact that you might be forced to move, is an entirely different situation.

The people that I've met in and from Montana are nice, neighborly, helpful, down to earth people.

Even when they find out I live in California! Too may city-idiots from my state (especially from L.A./Hollyweird & San Francisco) are buying 2nd homes up there and driving the price of range land sky high.

If you have to move. As a horse person, Montana can be a good destination. By the way what is your degree?

As for the in-laws, the jerk has probably told his family that it's all your fault and they are choosing to believe him because it's easier...for him to blame you and for them not to question it. The coward's way out.

Instead of being honest, my father made up lies to tell his side of the family when he left my mom and his five kids (he was cheating w/ other women). He told them he came home and my mom had packed all his stuff and kicked him out for no reason at all.

The truth was, before he left for work he'd told my mom he didn't love her and wanted all of his stuff packed and ready for him to pick up.

The insane thing, was they knew for nineteen years that she thought the sun rose and set on his head. Some of them chose to believe him and tried to treat my mom like dirt. When I told them the truth. Those same "family" members closed ranks and shut all of us kids out too. It was too hard to accept the truth that he was a lying adulterer and a dead beat dad. It was easy to make it "our" fault instead of his.

they are choosing to believe him because it's easier...for him to blame you and for them not to question it. The coward's way out.

Indeed. People suck. Hope that whatever you decide to do your heart will heal quickly and blessings will come your way once again.

Well, guys, I haven't been on for a few days. Pretty busy lately. It looks like things are looking up... job-wise at least. I think I got the job here at home. They can't make any official offers until next week, but the managers were hinting pretty strongly that it was going to happen. This is a huge relief. My soon to be ex-husband, however, has been scheming around and driving me NUTS! I just pray this is over soon. Thank you for all of your input and help, though! I appreciated it all in my time of need. And it's not to say that I'll never move out there. Just not in such an unstable time in my life! Hope everyone had a good Easter!

PS - Dondie, I am finishing my degree in Medical Lab Science! I graduate the 4th of May!