cvm2002

Baskette's Foal Watch--Filly

Congratulations!

Mom asked me a question yesterday I couldn't answer... Is it possible to induce an overdue mare the way you could induce a pregnant woman? Just curious. I'm looking forward to seeing the new filly. :)

After much farting around between Facebook & Photobucket, here we go. :)

Introducing Burlesque WSA, barn name Vixen. Born at 358 days gestation just before 3:00 this morning. Bay, small star, left hind pastern, right fore coronet (I think.....I can't remember....I've had no sleep). Mamma and baby doing well

943254_10151386553341016_743662702_n.jpg

941891_10151386553206016_1752158625_n.jp

942321_10151386553891016_11673653_n.jpg

422072_10151386553966016_2108251160_n.jp

love the second pic with front feet on mom, Congrats again on the cutie

Her hooves should tell you she baked in the oven for a good long LONG time. She needs a hoof trim already. Lol Beautiful baby. I'm a sucker for bays.

In regards to induction, its is rarely a good idea. Horses do not have "due dates" per se. The due date of 340 days is merely an average for gestation. Since fetal hormones signal when its ready to be born, if you start messing up the works, you often times end up with a dysmature foal. Inductions are associated with a high rate of dystocia, red bag deliveries (premature placental separation) and retained placentas. Puts the mare and foal in too great of risk unless there is a medical need for it. There are very strict guidelines that need to be met before induction should be considered, including gestation length, milk concentration and cervical softening.

Thank you! Very good to know. I love that I can come and ask questions and not be made to feel like an idiot. Thanks again for taking the time to answer. And congrats again on a beautiful filly. :)

942321_10151386553891016_11673653_n.jpg

I LOVE this pic!! She has this look of "WTH??? put me back in!!!" She's gonna be a pistol!!

Congrats Momma horse and momma human!!! lol

Congrats on the lovely filly!!! I guessed bay, and filly, 2:30 AM, but said May 7th as the date. Now to see if she grays out.

It does appear that she's going to grey. I didn't think so at first, but once I could get a good look at her in the daylight and once she dried off, the underside of her tail is silver.

We had a bit of an issue with meconium impaction and not wanting to nurse. A couple of enemas and a smidge of Banamine and she's much better today.

Prayers that she continues to improve, and recovers quickly and completely.

Edited by N4L

She is really nice!!! I see the silver under the tail you mentioned. Baskette looks really proud of her little girl.