Sign in to follow this  
dapplefred5

Little Mare Update!

Posted a few times about a little filly I broke and have essentially claimed to be my own. 2yo QH.

563849_837812939251_1478856872_n.jpg

383114_837812949231_1219991684_n.jpg

579754_837812984161_1206927627_n.jpg

483396_837812964201_214177407_n.jpg

I had her going for about 2 weeks solid, then I went away for about 10 days. Got back this week, lunged her the 1st day, and yesterday rode her 2nd time and she was back to her perfect self, even cantered her a little. But she is really not mature enough to canter much, extremely discombobulated. But she is starting to turn off my leg an everything quite well.

BUT bad news is I asked about her price... YIKES she is marked at $10,000 for a prospect just based on her breeding!!!?!? so not sure I'll ever have a chance to own her :( Unless she completely flops as a barrel racer, but then I assume they would want to use her for breeding? not sure. So I have let my hopes waaay down.

And yes, I am HUGE on her! lol

She's super cute... will they cut you a deal since you've been putting work into her? Even still, sounds like it would be a steep tag for a green baby!

Someone is smoking crack. Cute filly, but not $10K cute. And if I had a $10K 2 yr old filly, she darn sure wouldn't be at a training barn where random boarders start the horses.

Someone is smoking crack. Cute filly, but not $10K cute. And if I had a $10K 2 yr old filly, she darn sure wouldn't be at a training barn where random boarders start the horses.

Seriously!!!

They really ought to bring that price down for you when the time comes.

Seriously!!!

They really ought to bring that price down for you when the time comes.

That's true since you put all that time and work on her.

word!

i think i'll take some of that crack.. it looks like it must be some pretty good stuff..

And you know, it's disheartening situations like this that make people too bitter or self protective to lend a hand like this and do these favors when it best benefits the horse. Even if things don't work out to you owning this girl in the end because nobody appreciates your efforts and love enough to drop that rediculous price, I hope it won't make your good heart sour!

Agreed...

although without seeing her papers and confo shots I really can't comment on the price. I was looking at prospects earlier and found several in that range that didn't look like much at her age but came from proven money winning stock. I don't doubt that a well bred barrel prospect in the Oklahoma market will bring that...but I'd be furious as her current owner that the person I was paying to start her wasn't the one on her back - regardless of whether or not we here approve of the methodology of that person.

lol yeah, I definitely agree with that!

$10,000 seemed crazy expensive based just on breeding...for barrel horses! Even by 3yr old I doubt she will be mature enough to be near any sort of 'peak performance" she is quite immature now.

I could care less about compensation for myself- I suppose I should, but I'm happy to basically have a 2nd horse that I don't have to pay for. We'll see what happens!

lol yeah, I definitely agree with that!

$10,000 seemed crazy expensive based just on breeding...for barrel horses! Even by 3yr old I doubt she will be mature enough to be near any sort of 'peak performance" she is quite immature now.

I could care less about compensation for myself- I suppose I should, but I'm happy to basically have a 2nd horse that I don't have to pay for. We'll see what happens!

...there's as much if not more money to be won in barrel jackpots and rodeos as in hunter/jumpers if not more for someone who's good on a state or regional level. Just saying, I felt that was a but of a slam against the discipline. Unless you've seriously tried it, not just loped 3 circles with barrels in the middle, don't judge the money we put into our horses. When I shop for a green broke prospect with great potential, I fully expect to put $5-$10k on the table depending on how far along training is.

Horses are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Get your best offer out there and maybe it'll buy her. Good luck!

Mars, yes you are right about that price. I guess because because I'm so far removed from the western /barrel world the price seemed high bc the horse isn't really ideal for what I like. If I had the money, Id be willing to payabout 10k for a nice young hunter/ jumper warm blood.

I've started riding another mare there, ill post about her later to see how she does. It will at least pull me away from my little chestnut whom I have become so attached :)

Mars, yes you are right about that price. I guess because because I'm so far removed from the western /barrel world the price seemed high bc the horse isn't really ideal for what I like. If I had the money, Id be willing to payabout 10k for a nice young hunter/ jumper warm blood.

I've started riding another mare there, ill post about her later to see how she does. It will at least pull me away from my little chestnut whom I have become so attached :)

I started out in hunter/jumpers too as you well know, and burned out, fiddled around with random ponies and then ended up being given my current mount, who was rumored to have some barrel training. That training was laughable at best, but none the less here we are about to break into paychecks hopefully. I've spent more time in the last year developing an appreciation for the discipline, remembering all the dressage principles I learned growing up, drilling lateral work and building a top line than I have rounding a barrel. We could probably hold our own in training level dressage and not get laughed out of the first level ring. There's a lot more work that goes into those 13-17seconds than anyone who hasn't done it realizes.

Looking forward to seeing the new mare!

if these dreaming owners wont sell her to you, why are you training her for free? start charging darling, and make sure its enough to afford her. i too find this a joke they are asking $10,000. im thinking a misprint and its really $1000. does someone else in your barn want her and thats just what they told you? i would LOVE to know this horses sire and dam, i can give you a more accurate $ tag for her.

fastfilly- I'll try to find out her breeding.

I'm training her for free because I mostly just like fiddling with horses and since I'm not charging there is no pressure on me to do it a certain way or get certain results. There are a few other 2yr olds there who I won't work with- I would have to get paid to touch them. I have been asked to work with them (even for pay). I was just really drawn to this mare. Gives me something to do in my spare time.

Mars- Totally agree with you! I think an english background would help a lot with a barrel horse-particularly dressage! I believe that any solid performance horse should be able to do a training and maybe 1st level dressage test justice- those moves are the basis of training for any discipline; accepting the bit and leg etc etc.

I'll get some pics of 2nd mare I've been riding for a new post. She was presented to me as not doing well in her barrel training. But she had no idea what even a leg yield meant! Lots of regular good flatwork for this lady. doing a tight barrel will be no problem when she knows what is being asked of her.