Sign in to follow this  
Aggie

Hc Prayers Needed For A Kitty

Cat bites are notorious for abcessing. Due to the bacteria in their mouths and their biting teeth being long and needle-like, they deposit bacteria deep into the skin/muscle tissue. Then, the outer hole heals over and the infection from the bacteria has nowhere to go, so it collects in an abcess.

This is Louie when my husband first brought him to me and about 40min before we saw the vet.

The abcess was almost as big as his head.

vstraya.jpg

Here is a pic showing one side of the upper "Y" of stitches and the drain I had to flush with fluid several times a day.

vLuckyc.jpg

The size of the abcess showed he was fighting that infection for quite a while and the dry, spikiness of his hair also indicates the stress his body was under to fight the infection. Vet said if we hadn't found him and brought him in, he'd have been dead by the next day from infection, fever, dehydration and exposure.

Heidi that looks just like hers. Except the only thing weird about it is she didn't get stitches. I dont know why either because its a pretty big looking hole.

UPDATE: Called the Dr today said shes doing good. Eating her food drinking her water and taking her meds both oral and eye drops. BUT that now she has an upper respiratory infection. Sneezing, coughing all the nine yards. Poor baby if it isnt one thing its another. But at least shes getting better. :yay:

Heidi that looks just like hers. Except the only thing weird about it is she didn't get stitches. I dont know why either because its a pretty big looking hole.

The wounds are frequently left open so they will heal from the inside out rather than abscessing again.

I've gotten good at catching abscesses early, but my Talullah came to me because she had a monstrous blown abscess. The wound was two or three inches across. I started cleaning it out, and about halfway through I thought "What the *bleep* am I doing?" I was able to forge through, though, and she recovered beautifully.

It's amazing how sick they can get and how fast it happens. It's also amazing how well they can come back.

I wouldnt be able to take care of it. We have to take one of the boy cats in (Queek Queek) I do beleive he is getting the URI also. So off to the vet we go with him in the morning. Hopefully they let me see Pfasho while im there also.

heidi, i was put in the hospital in march last year for four days on intravenous antibiotics for a dog bite. they were puncture wounds, nothing for a stitching job, but within 12 hours my forearms were very swollen and tender to the touch. the emergency room doctor said that dog bite cases like mine were not uncommon, but cat bites were absolute the worst for causing blood poisoning in humans.

she doesn't need IV antibiotics?? i got it three tmes a day for four days straight, and they insisted that i stay at the hospital for the duration so i wouldn't be running around doing the laundry, walking the dog, riding, because that causes the problem to spread. stall rest for this cat?

I've been bitten by cats twice.

The first time my hand and lower arm swelled overnight and I had a red streak almost to my armpit. I went to the Dr right away and some huge horse-pill Abx fixed me right up.

The second time was by one of my own cats, a former feral that I startled when I grabbed her to keep her from running out the door and clashing with a stray tomcat. At this time I was on chemos and had Abx left over from a recent post-surgical infection (had to re-admit to the Hosp for IV Abx) so I started those pills and saw my Dr the next day. She looked at my pill bottle, counted them and told me to just finish them up. Because I started the pills right away I never did swell up. My Doc and I now make sure I have Abx in the house for just-in-case things like this.

Re: cats/dogs w/ cat/dog bites I think cats and dogs are more resilient and/or have built-in ... not immunity, but a resistence? ... to other animal bites. Whereas with us, the bacteria is completely foreign.

Heidi n Q I had never heard of a cat abscess before. Let alone have to experience it. Its good to hear that it is healable.

I missed this the first time around: Yes, they are VERY "healable." As awful as they look and as miserable as they make the cats, they heal beautifully if caught in time.

Sorry I was not able to update sooner. Pfasho is home and is 100% better. The hole looks like a quarter size now you couldnt even tell it was there. Shes shaved like a kid got a hold of her and has a black eye but other than that shes home and back to the same ole pfasho. NO quarantine was needed just got to take her back in 1 week to have her 2cnd rabies.

Thank you everyone for all your prayers and well wishes :smilie:

That's awesome!! So glad she's doing much better. Once her hair grows back, you'll never know anything happened.

here are some pictures of pfasho her eye is pretty beat up but her wound is healing vet did sch a grand job.

317463_133380796849650_1907830487_n.jpg

63160_133380793516317_180265713_n.jpg

sorry for picture quality its from my cell