Sign in to follow this  
presley

Advice/tips On My Pleasure/all Around Mare

Okay well it's that riding time again! This is my mare Toni, I am needing a little help with her I appreciate any & all advice from you guys. This is our second ride this spring so she is pretty out of shape. I have never sent her off to get finished so this is pretty much just me trying to get her going a little better. I know she needs to drive off her hind end more (hence the counter cantering) She is still my baby so please dont be too harsh :smile:

also- I am riding her in a correction bit.

I didn't have time to watch the video, but based on a couple things you said I would...

Drop her back down into a snaffle, it'll help you keep her mouth soft and also allow you to pick her up better

Rather than counter cantering, I prefer transitions, lateral work, and rollbacks for setting them down on their hind ends.

If you have pasture space or a wide open area, loooooong trotting for conditioning.

I second the call for a simple snaffle bit so you can sensitively feel any reactions in your horse's head and mouth and not inadvertently interfer with her movements.Your work at the walk and trot with turning and pivots looks nice and calm. The slow, four-beat "canter", however, looked very uncomfortable for your horse.

Toni seems to be trying hard to please you. I would like to see you allow her much more freedom to use her head and body for balance and free movement. To properly develop flexion and strength in the hind end, a horse should be free from undesirable tension in the back and legs. Whereas freely flexing and releasing muscles are necessary for good movement, tension restricts the free movement of muscles and joints.

Learn to feel -- particularly through your seat and legs -- whether your horse's muscles are tense or moving softly and in freedom. By developing this feel, you should also be able to begin feeling whether your horse's muscles are subtle and the spine bending on either side as you turn to the left and to the right. The use of a snaffle bit will also help in this effort to learn to feel -- listen to -- your horse.

Realize that relaxation is different from moving slowly or lazilly. Just yesterday, I was working with a woman who has only been riding for a few months but has become particular good at feeling her horse with her seat and legs. Yesterday was the first time her horse truly relaxed while trotting. The rider excitedly told me that she actually felt undulating movement in her horse's back as the mare began to realize she could relax while trotting with a rider on her back. I wish everyone could learn to feel such a difference in their horses' movements.

You Have a nice horse, and I agree with what has been said.

I also feel you are asking too much for a horse that is out of shape. It takes a lot of strength to move slow, yet correct, thus I would move her out more at this time to help build that strength, and not be canting her hips in like that at this stage. Ride her out, long trot her some, to get her back in shape.

Thank you so much for the replys! I am taking all of the advice & bringing her back down to a twisted snaffle until I feel her getting right. It's been a long time since I have had her in a snaffle, I should have been smarter to realize this but glad you guys brought it to my attention. I am going to work on long trotting & bringing her back up pushing her through the bridle.

Toni try's VERY hard to please there isn't much she throws a fit about she's been like that since she was 2. Hopefully my next video will show some improvement thanks again guys!