My mare has had a history of ulcers in the past and even though she is on the U-guard supplement I fear they are back....My trainer suggested Abprazole Omeprazole Granules (aka the new pop rock thing). Any idea if they actually work or not? My mare is not really allowing me to touch her stomach and she is being picky with her grain when she usually isn't. She is currently on really nice grass hay (around 5 flakes in the morning, 2 flakes at lunch, and she has a round bale in the pasture at night) and also she is on PrimeGlo around 2.5 lbs 2x a day, the nutrients are as followed:

Crude Protein, Min ..........................14.0%

Lysine, Min ....................................0.65%

Crude Fat, Min .................................8.0%

Crude Fiber, Max ............................22.0%

Calcium (Ca), Min. ..........................1.25%

Calcium (Ca), Max. .........................1.75%

Phosphorus (P), Min ........................0.6%

Salt (NaCl), Min .............................1.75%

Salt (NaCl), Max ............................2.25%

Copper (Cu),Min ...........................80 ppm

Selenium (Se), Min ......................1.2 ppm

Zinc (Zn), ...................................350 ppm

Vitamin A, Min ..................15,000 IU/pound

Vitamin D3, Min ................1,500 IU/pound

Vitamin E, Min ....................334 IU/pound

She loves this food! But shes become picky with it and being very naughty when undersaddle where she is starting to kick out and go back to rearing and bucking which she NEVER does.

I treated her before with Ulcer guard paste and put her on the u-guard supplement and it held them off for a while. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought of the "pop rocks" and if they would help in my situation

I worked at a ranch that had a horse who always got ulcers, they had me giving her a sheet of Tagamet(sp?) every day with her breakfast. Was the human pills, but a sheet I think has about ten in it.

I have used Zantac on my Arab with gastric stomach ulcers but, in the end, I always have to go to the vet and buy a month's supply of Omeprazole. It's expensive but well worth the money as I can see a difference in my Arab within 24 hours.

While the guaranteed analysis is important, it is equally important to know precisely what goes into the feed bag to get to that guaranteed analysis.

http://www.admani.co...horse feed.htm

ADM does, at least give hints, if one reads carefully:

PRIMEGLO contains ADM proprietary ingredients specifically blended with the best feed ingredients for overall health, optimal digestion, shiny coats, strong hooves and bloom. PRIMEGLO comes in 5/16 inch pellets that are easy for horses to pick up if dropped, resulting in less waste. PRIMEGLO has a base of alfalfa (known to help prevent ulcers) and soybean hulls and contains HEALTHY GLOTM and StaySTRONG® Metabolic Mineral Pellets with ZinPro®* 4-Plex organic trace minerals, direct-fed microbials, CitriStimTM and Prosponse® brewer's dried yeast. PRIMEGLO contains 8% fat from stabilized rice bran, Omega Flax® and Soy Shine®.

My hackles do go up whenever someone starts out with those words "contains XXX proprietary ingredients". The "proprietary" is as wide open as somebody's 50 acre pasture. That can mean anything from something terrific to something questionable and almost always means "whatever's cheapest at the moment".

That being said, it does appear to be a good feed when one picks thru their fancy adjectives.

My point to all that is: Were this my horse, I would call ADM's 800# and ask to speak to the nutritionist. I would want to know if they put whole corn into the formula. DISTILLERS GRAINS ARE FINE but "raw" corn is not --- it's full of starch and hard on the stomach.

Lastly, while not probably, it is possible you may be dealing with hind gut ulcers as opposed to gastric stomach ulcers. If a vet has not made that determination, I think I would want to get the vet involved, just to be sure and get a month's supply of Omeprazole :smilie:

I vote for the vet/omeprazole route. You gotta get on the road to recovery and get it well healed to stop re-occurance. The spot will always be prone as it is. Plus, you want to know which ulcer it is.

I've learned that you shouldn't feed grains with ulcers, that they are aggravating, so are minerals.

There are better feeds on the market than this one. Adquate protein, calcium/phos. ratio is 3:1...should be 1.5 to 2:1 and the other major mineral that should be in this is magnesium, but its forgotten. So to me, the label reads as deficient in phosphorus and magnesium. Magnesium has over 300 jobs to do in the body and can improve attitude and help a horse relax. As for the trace minerals, inadequate zinc and copper, the iron number is hidden, but its there, make no mistake. Iron overload is finally being recognized for the baddie it is, so copper and zinc are deficient in the face of iron. I am also suspicious of "proprietary" and don't like the additions of rice bran and soy. The vitamin E is a joke. only not funny on a hay only diet....should be 2IU/lb of body weight,

I would pull this feed and simplify the diet right down. Hay, water,, the probiotics..Ration Plus is one of the best with "billions" and that's what it takes. Aloe Vera juice is good also and so are peppermints. Always flax, with the vet/omeprazole leading the way. I'd definitely look into the Magnesium (5g/day) The elimination of ulcers may just be as simple as getting the diet balanced and the internal tools to withstand the rigors of workload.

• I have a gelding that we suspect has ulcers. I have not him scoped(don't have the $500 to do it)but he shows all the signs. Every now and then he will go off his feed. He did this 2 weeks ago, wasn't acting colicy, but was not interested in eating. WIth as fat as he is, him not showing an interest in food is a big sign!

Anyway, I have come to find out that if I add anything to his diet that has Flax in it, it irriates his ulcers. He goes off feed, and is just "not right". I have a supply of Gastro Guard, or is it Ulcer Guard(I ALWAYS get them confused) on hand from my vet. That will normally pull him out and make him feel better and eat again. The couple of times that I HAVE had to call my vet, we do not give him Banamine, as it will mask his symptoms for about 20 minutes and he is right back to where he was, so we do accupuncture on him. Within about 15 minutes, he is acting normal and acting like he hasn't been fed in weeks. This episode 2 weeks ago, I also pulled his blankets and started massaging the points where my vet sticks the needles, and within about 10 minutes of me massaging, he started eating.

This past summer, I bought a load of Teff grass hay. Everyone else switched over ok to it. I normally gradually switch from one feed to another over a 2 week period. After feeding this gelding a handful to a half of flake over a week's period, he started acting off so I pulled him off of it and bought some Brome grass.

Does anyone else have issues with Flax being fed to a horse that has ulcers? I am just curious. This gelding is on grass and alfalfa, daily wormer, joint supplement(he's an older heading horse)with a probiotic.

thanks!