Chak

Suv Vs Truck Vs Car

Which would you choose?

I will be buying a new vehicle in the next few months.

I want a pickup. I want it because I do have a horse and limited access to any other pickups. I do buy and transport my own hay plus a trailer is much more easily/safely hauled with a truck.

As a compromise, I am considering an suv of some type. It would give me some hauling capacity, hay on a trailer instead of in the bed, etc but I probably would not be able to pull a horse trailer. Plus I would more than likely get better gas milage than in a pick up.

Then of course, I know a car makes the most sense financially. I can buy a better/newer car for a smaller amount than I would pay for a similar quality truck or suv. I would also pay much less in fuel. However, I hate driving cars. I would not be able to haul hay and definately no trailer.

A pick up would take care of the trailer/hauling issue but I would have to purchase something a little older with higher miles on it to stay within a budget I can comfortably afford.

The SUV presents a similar issue. I know some will pull a horse trailer safely but those are going to be higher priced and get worse gas mileage.

If I bought a car, I could save some now but I would probably have to try and buy a pickup in 8-12mos because I do want to leave the area then and would need to be able to transport my horse and be independent. But I worry about how hard it would be to resale a car for enough to cover whatever I still owed on it.

Why not buy a car? You will appreciate it for the fuel mileage. We currently have a Chevy Cruze and don't regret stepping out!

I would buy a car and shop around for a Good "used" truck. We will have our car paid off in 4 years from this May. Truck is paid for.

Edited by Flying Stars

I would buy a truck. I have an suv now, and it rides nicer than Hubby's truck, but I could haul more with the truck. For me having the suv right now is fine, since there IS a truck in the family.

I currently drive a late 90's Blazer & love love love it. Would love to have a truck wih crew cab but sadly with 1 boy, 2-3 dogs & god knows what else space would be very tight. My next vehicle choice would be a Tahoe but for the same gas mileage & 18in more cargo space might as well just go for a Suburban.

If you look on Edmunds.com you can get a wealth of info for vehicles. You will find depending on the type of SUV the mpg will be about the same as a truck. This was the factor in my getting the Blazer & not a mini van. The mpg were not all that different & with the SUV I have more haul capacity along with 4x4.

Should you do alot of driving/traveling would suggest a smaller car & look for a used truck down the line.

I traded trucks 16 nonths ago, for what spent on trade, I could have bought a car, & kept my truck, to pull my trailer & haul what was needed. But I really do like my truck, we also have a midsized SUV, that cost more to insure, & gas milage isn't that much better, but it does sit 4 adults comfortably, with some room in back, it has been a superdependable SUV, that is now showing it's wear. It is all about what is affordable & meets your needs now & in the future, & needs can sometimes change quickly. Best Wishes. PD

If you are looking at moving in a year and want a truck at that time, why not just find an el cheapo car to get you around in the meantime, continue saving some money, and then sell the car when you want to move? If you aren't an expert on cars, take someone with you that is so they can look over what you are going to buy. Whatever you buy right now doesn't have to be pretty, just get you from point A to point B. Then you don't have to worry about selling it to pay off a loan in 8-12 months.

If you end up getting a car, Toyotas have realy good resale value. They are also super reliable. Hubby has a 2007 Toyota Yaris with almost 100,000 miles on it. We have had no issues with it at all and it's trade in value is still good.

Good luck on your decision!

i have a jeep liberty (at least that's what it's called in europe). i can pull 2.5 tons (we tow a horse trailer and a boat trailer), it's diesel and very fuel efficient and it's a comfortable ride. i've pulled vans with handicapped people (couldn't evacuate them first) out of ditches in snow and icey conditions, and it's never let me down 8 years down the line, and i bought it used.

my roommate had a flat bed chevvy in college. any more than three passengers and they had to climb in to the back. is that still legal in your state?

good for you for asking around!

I would research all the, fuel economies, purchase prices, and look at how many miles you drive and do a side by side comparison.

I have an f150 and I love it. It isn't great on fuel, but I'm also renovating my house along with hauling pretty heavily to barrel races and between hauling building materials and the horse trailer I don't have much of an option.

That being said I traded a semi-reliable car in for it and in hindsight I should have kept it until be became terribly unreliable.

I commute 1.5 miles to work and 15 miles to he barn or the city. If when we move my commute is lengthy I will look for a cheap car.

Personally I wouldn't haul a horse trailer with a jeep liberty, at least not the version we have in the US, I don't feel the wheel base is long enough to control the trailer in a bad situation.

If you will be wanting to sell the car and buy a truck 8-12 months down the line, you might want to look into leasing a car.

The newer trucks get pretty decent milage. My parents bought a new Ford F350 2013 and they went from BC to ONT and back this Summer and my mom was logging the KM, she said it was a lot better then their old F250 (2005).

Buy what you enjoy driving and what you will use! I bought a 2007 Mazda 6 because it was a good deal and I wish I had shopped around a bit as I dont really like the car. Its a sedan, and very large. I'd perfer a coupe :) I do like how it travels on long trips.

I have both an SUV and a truck, my husband isn't very 'country' and has a BMW convertible. I have a Chevy Tahoe with a 6" lift and that thing has pulled many trailers, horse trailers and boats. I've had it for over ten years and absolutely love it, although it does get 9mpg, but if you keep it stock, and get a newer one, it's much better.

I also have a Chevy S10 which gets 27mpg and I use for hauling hay (about 7 bales max), although I wish it had more room, as going anywhere with the dogs isn't easy. It's my everyday driver, $60 (gas is over $4 a gallon here) lasts me a week and I drive for 2 hours a day. But I love that little truck, have taken it four wheeling (it's a 2x2) and it's outdone the lifted Toyota's and Chevy's. To me it's worth it's weight in gold, and only spent $2k on it, have had it for I think 5 years and only have spent $300 on a clutch, no other expenses other than general maintenance like oil changes and tires.

I do want something bigger, considering a Chevy HD 2500, but waiting til we buy a house first. You should get whatever you think is the most economical for your situation. I've never owned a car, well had a Mercedes for a day in high school but totaled it that day. I love SUV's but prefer to have a truck also.

Hmmm lots to think about, I think I will head over to edmunds.com and do some research.

I've had a family member offer a Chevy avalanche at a decent price, not sure of the year or particulars yet. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I just recently got rid of my old GMC half-ton pickup, much to my regret. It was SO ready to be replaced. I opted for an SUV (Toyota 4-Runner) for a couple reasons:

1. This has to double as a work vehicle, and I am a landscape designer. I have to be able to confine long tools and bulky waste bags.

2. It has to double as my personal vehicle, that I use to haul groceries, home improvement materials, two big dogs and passengers on occasion.

The advantages are huge; I leave the seats down nearly all the time since my kids are grown and I don't haul passengers that often. I can just load the dogs and go in all weather, which we do often. It is also tremendously easy to load up groceries and daily sundries.

The disadvantages are not insignificant; it is harder to fit in all my landscape tools, the load capacity is not nearly what I had with the truck, and I cringe when I have to put really dirty or wet things in the back, even though a good floor cover would be very beneficial. It just is not long enough to comfortably haul long lumber or fencing. It also doesn;t get much better gas mileage than my pickup got.

However, the 4-Runner is a pretty heavy truck, and I can (and will) safely haul a smaller trailer behind it with a brake box.

So, it is what it is. I think the things I mentioned are pretty important considerations; if I were in your position I would opt for a

an el cheapo car (or small suv) to get you around in the meantime,

and save up for the pickup you really want.

PS, in IMHO an Avalanche is not enough car OR truck to be serviceable for someone who wants to haul things (including dogs) but that is just my opinion. Great for suburbanites, not so much for farm work.

nick- are Jeeps with diesels fairly common over there?? I just traded in my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Pontiac G5. I'm missing my Jeep badly, and plan to get one in a few years after I'm done with school, but I would really like to have a diesel one, but I rarely ever see them.

diesel cars in general are common over here because the cost of fuel is so high. (way higher than it is in the u.s. last may when i was in l.a. and filled my cousin's car's tank i thought there was some kind of mistake, it was so cheap by comparison.) this is my first, and love the sound of the engine (bubba bubba bubba haha), and i can pull a two horse trailer (with 1200 kilos in it--1 warmblood and 1 lusitano) up a hill and not even notice it.

jeep models here aren't necessarily what i see in california at least, because not only fuel prices but speed limits and type of driving are a lot different.

Many of the diesel models available in Europe are not legal in the US. It's rather unfortunate. Those diesel engines get waaaay better mileage, haul better, burn cleaner (if newer and maintained properly...) but for whatever reason *coughcoughmoneycoughcough* our government will not approve them.

Many of the diesel models available in Europe are not legal in the US. It's rather unfortunate. Those diesel engines get waaaay better mileage, haul better, burn cleaner (if newer and maintained properly...) but for whatever reason *coughcoughmoneycoughcough* our government will not approve them.

This is a shame.

I've been researching and I think I am going to go with a truck. I hate cars and do not think I can convince myself to like it even though I could buy a newer car for the same price.

I've narrowed it down to a Nissan titan or Chevy silverado. I have never driven a Titan but I like the reviews I have read so far. I used to have a 2000 silverado and loved it but the Nissan looks like it might be a slightly better deal but harder to find in my price range with lower miles.

Does anyone have a Titan or any first hand experience with one?

I have a friend who has a Titan 4X4. I have put many miles on that truck! We both volunteered at the same handicapped riding program and used his truck for hauling hay and hauling horses. That truck hauled the big 3 horse slant load with 3 horses with no problems. I also hauled a flatbed with 5 round bales on it with no problem. It also got decent mileage. His has all the bells and whistles. Heated seats, power everything. It was also the extended cab with room for 5 people if they were real friendly in the back seat.

After many years of driving Saturn cars(2 door & station wagon) for commuting, I now have a Mazda MPV suv. While it doesn't get the mileage the Saturns did, it is great for hauling granddaughter and her rugby team.

Edited by Mz Rat

PB,

I've driven Silverados for the past 15 years, I've had 4 different ones, in that time. But my daughter has a Nissan Frontier, I really like that truck, & I've ridden in a Titan several times, & a friend has pulled her 3 horses over a good number of miles with one. So either choice, I think is a good one. Happy Hunting. Best Wishes. PD

I wanted a Titan *so badly* when I was shopping for my first truck!! So badly, in fact, that when I went to the used car dealership, and they had one on the lot, I went and hugged it. LOL. My parents thought I was nuts.

The one drawback with all Nissan is that they don't allow other companies to make parts for their vehicles for the first four or five years.

I had a 2006 maxima that was six months old when I got it. three years later the warranty went out and a part broke inside the air conditioner. All the parts had to come from the dealership and it cost $2,300 to fix (twice the price of comparable parts). The tires were also an odd size that only Nissan used and had to be special ordered & cost $250-$375 per tire for the cheaper brands with lower mileage warranties. Buying different sized wheels would have voided my warranty. :angry:

It was starting to have other problems and I traded it in for a 2008 Toyota double cab pickup. I love my truck!!!

I got it for $100 over wholesale (my brother's friend owns the dealership) and Blue Book is still higher than what I paid for it. :yay:

I wanted a Titan *so badly* when I was shopping for my first truck!! So badly, in fact, that when I went to the used car dealership, and they had one on the lot, I went and hugged it. LOL. My parents thought I was nuts.

This is exactly how I feel right now. After reading all the reviews, I really really really want one. I found a 2007 in my budget with lower mileage on it and I cannot wait to go see it this week!

Dondie-That's good to know. I will make sure to check with my mechanic before I go look the Nissan to make sure he can get the parts if needed.

I'm so excited, going to the "big city" Wednesday to look at a couple Chevy's and the only Titan I found with decent mileage.

Get a truck , but get a DIESEL truck.. much better mileage than a gasoline one.. depending on your trailer size a heavy duty HAlf ton is cheaper to run and insure than a 3/4 ot one ton... and Duallys are even more expensive to insure.. our old 96 dually cost more to insure than our 99 one ton SD. Something about running over small cars??? The 96 has a gas engine (10 MPG) and the 99 has a 7.3 liter diesel (20 MPG) both are 5 speed sticks...

Anyway I have a Cadilac Devile that I drive every day and can only get three bales of hay in the trunk! Four in the back seat... I usually pick up 10 bags of 50 lb feed at a time ... I figure is was like hauling 4 dead mobsters in the trunk! :unsure: My Taurus did not haul the horse stuff very well ...

You can always rent a UHAUL truck if you would prefer a car for regular use.. they are cheap.

AD

This is exactly how I feel right now. After reading all the reviews, I really really really want one. I found a 2007 in my budget with lower mileage on it and I cannot wait to go see it this week!

Dondie-That's good to know. I will make sure to check with my mechanic before I go look the Nissan to make sure he can get the parts if needed.

I'm so excited, going to the "big city" Wednesday to look at a couple Chevy's and the only Titan I found with decent mileage.

Your mechanic can get the parts from the Nissan. Just expect to pay way more than you would with any other brand of truck.

Omg renting Uhaul truck is a fabulous idea!!!!

Ad, I agree with your diesel vs gas to a point .. I sat down and figured it out and IF she is using her diesel as a daily driver, the maintenance on the diesel along with the price of diesel would be more expensive then the gas vehicles maintenance and gas. Esspecially if she is looking newer.. my girlfriends ford f150 easily does 16 mgp and my boyfriends 06 duramax WITH the banks system is only pulling 17 (when used as a daily driver, interstate she's 19ish) but then you have to look at oil change costs and the cost of glow plugs when they go out... etc etc. I drive a money guzzling ram that's only getting about 12 mpg without my trailer. Shes a thirsty beast when I'm hauling (9 mpg, 2h trailer, one horse) but is an EXCELLENT daily driver.

So PB, sit down and figure out. I am starting to haul for lessons 2x a month, not including my day trail rides I plan on doing, so yes my next truck will be a 3/4 ton... but I have to figure out if I want a gas or diesel. Gas mpg has come along way. Some of the new dodges are getting 20.

My 1999 GMC Sierra Z-71 with a 5.3 liter gas engine would get close to 20 mpg in its prime, and was still getting about 18 when we put her to rest.

Man, I loved that truck, she just out-lived her usefulness.