skipsinvested

Know Any Good Training Books?

Does anyone know of any good step by step books for ground work before riding? One from halter to saddle. I found a few but they were all under saddle. Id like to have something more like a "journal" that I can write in with each objective and with points you should be hitting. All the ones I can find are more stories than anything and nothing with actual step by step process. Id really like to keep the "toys" to a minimum. I have a round pen, but Id rather keep that to a minimum too. Id really prefer CA but thats a preference not a neccessity. Just something I could use as another ground tool.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I really like Storey's Guide to Training Horses by Heather Smith Thomas. It's pretty basic and easy to follow. I like the step by step guidance she gives. It goes from initial handling to ground work on to saddling then the first ride to refinement and trailer loading she finishes with trouble shooting. Overall a good tool to have.

I'd like to second the Storey's Guide to Training Horses, I have it (somewhere in my house) and it's a great book, tons of exercises. As far as I know, there's not journal area, but you can pick up a notebook cheap and use that for note taking and record keeping :smileywavey:

I started Sean Patrick's the Modern Horseman's Countdown to Broke and the beginning off the year. 33 steps with guides and goals.

I found doing the exercises with my older gelding helped me teach young Hatch. It us structured starting from very basic ground, i.e. without even halter broke, but I'd easily applied to a been there done that horse, or as in Hatch's case a fairly green broke horse.

I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend MY book, (link-->) 'HELP! My Horse Hates Me! How to Gain & Keep Your Horses' Respect' . LOL!

It's NOT a nuts 'n bolts training guide but a very good primer about horse psychology, how the horse mind works, how they learn, how to establish the respect for humans they need to have before any meaningful learning can take place, foundation training exercises and how to avoid and correct bad behaviors that creep in. When you thoroughly understand why and how horses respond to their environment you can start successfully creating your own training program.

As I said, it's not a stand alone horse training book. But it will certainly compliment other training material by allowing you to understand WHY and HOW most popular training techniques work rather than just mimicking them and hoping for the best. ~FH

Edited by FloridaHorseman

Clinton Anderson's books are great. The photos are beautiful and he spells everything out step by step and even lists the things he finds that you may be doing incorrectly and tells you how to correct the issues. :yay: Go to his website....Downunderhorsemanship.com and you'll find the books there.