Sign in to follow this  
Jumpergirl99

Thoughts On Halter Horses

As an english rider, I don't tend to delve into the western world of showing but one day i happened to stumble across a photo of an AQHA halter horse (totally beefed up and everything) i so though that it was photoshopped at first.

what do you guys think of these top level halter horses and how beefed up they are. I think it is beyond disgusting and not at all healthy look to have all that muscle, but I'm also no where near and expert. just a bit of a fun question.

Here is what these guys look like

post-61910-0-47681500-1366077474.jpg

Well, this is a topic that probably belongs on the debate board!

As a person that rides performance stock horses, I also used to get really upset in the direction that those elite halter horses were going-afterall, the original purpose was to show future performance potential

Well, like any other event, halter has become very specialized-think human body builders

So, i had a discussion with a reining trainer once, taking a clinic

His answer-those halter people have aright to just 'feed them and lead them', just like you have the right to do whatever you do with your horse. As a performance person, just don't breed to halter horse, and you have no problem

I have followed that advise ever since, breeding 'like to like', and not as some people that go down this 'slippery slope', breeding a performance horse to a halter

horse, in the hopes of having a pretty athlete-most cases, they have neither, although (disclaimer ) there are horses where it has worked, depending on how

those genes pared up

Also, don't compare English to western, but rather halter to performance

Here is Skys Blue Boy AQHA HUS

http://www.skysblueboy.com/

Some reining horses

http://www.reinersworld.com/stallions.html

western pleasure

http://soderbergquarterhorses.com/stallions.html

It is also why we now have hunter in Hand classes and yearling lunge line-so performance people can get their horses to young to ride, also out there, without needing to either built them up, or compete against horses bred to just stand and profile

Does a human marathon runner look like a body builder?

I personally like the look of a big butted beefy quarter horse. As long as the horses are healthy and capable of serving their purpose well toned muscle is great. I don't think it's a beauty pageant though and it does seem it can be judged as such.

I JUST WANT THE INFRASTRUCTURE TO BE ABLE HOLD UP THE BODY OVER TIME. and those feet look like the 40's when the chinese bound ladies feet to look tiny, because they found it sexy. those ladies looked kyuoot but couldn't move very well.

to each his own.

I fell in love with a 4 month old stud colt at an auction and had to have him. He is halter bred with Kid Clu and Perpetualism in his lines but I figured because I didn't plan to show him I wouldn't pump the feed and exercise needed to beef him up like a halter horse would spare him the woes of being so huge they can barely move especially since I planned on keeping him forever. Well now 10 years old 16h tall and 1300lbs he wears a ZERO shoe. Yes I meant to say ZERO. My farrier has already prepared me in saying he will almost definitely develop navicular as he ages. So it really didnt matter he will cripple up on me eventually I'm afraid.

image-21.jpg

2010_01010413080016.jpg

2010_07120413080065Small.jpg

Edited by JustinBoots

I fell in love with a 4 month old stud colt at an auction and had to have him. He is halter bred with Kid Clu and Perpetualism in his lines but I figured because I didn't plan to show him I wouldn't pump the feed and exercise needed to beef him up like a halter horse would spare him the woes of being so huge they can barely move especially since I planned on keeping him forever. Well now 10 years old 16h tall and 1300lbs he wears a ZERO shoe. Yes I meant to say ZERO. My farrier has already prepared me in saying he will almost definitely develop navicular as he ages. So it really didnt matter he will cripple up on me eventually I'm afraid.

That is why, if you want a rider, you don't by a horse that is halter bred,anymore than you would buy a reiner ,looking for a western pl horse.

There is more than the feeding that in involved

Long time ago, halter was an entry level event, with the horse then going on to a career under saddle. That is no longer so, concerning upper level halter horses, capable of winning at the World level. Those winning stallions and mares never see a saddle, but go into the breeding shed.

So what, might you ask, is wrong with this?

Well, if that conformation is never put to the test, ie, work under saddle, then you have no indication of whether the horse can work , put that form to the test, and remain sound

Secondly, there is the mind, and disposition, heart and willingness are inherited traits

Programs like we had-The Alberta Horse Improvement Program, judged a horse 'Form To Function, with scores given out, and one of the judges being a vet.

I won't go into the system here, but you can google it, and see how the horse was scored-front limbs, hind limbs, overall balance and movement, with faults noted as major and minor

Point being, there is a difference in the way a horse is judged at halter, versus evaluated by a scoring system, with the criteria of "form to Function' Certainly things like small feet, poor bone, tied in at the knees, etc were are scored as faults

Something similar happened to German Shepards in Canada. The dogs in Canada did not come from generations of working dogs, thus The RCMP , when looking for police dogs , had to for years import semen from such countries like the Czech Rebuplic, until working dog blood became established here

Everytime you select for one or two traits, then other valuable traits are left behind

This becomes particularly noticed when the traits selected are bred with the idea of 'if some is good, more is better'

For instance, the extreme level croup of an Arabian halter horse is not condusive to hind end engagement, and the 'teacup' muzzle interfers with the ability to take big breathes of air

The extremely narrow head of an Afgan show dog, has left many of these dogs short in the brain department

In other words, the age old adage applies-'Use it or loose it' !

If some muscle definition looked good on a halter horse, then more became better, to the point that judges inadvertantly selected for hypp pos horses, before hypp was even known about, simply because at some level, the muscles of these horses were always self exercising

Refined feet and legs looked good, so that also was taken to the extreme,

Edited by Smilie

Smilie,

Nicely put, you are great at explaining things.

I don't for one min regret bringing him home because he is the "one in a million" horse everyone wants to have. If I would have went there in search of a barrel horse or cutting then yes I would be regretful but since I merely went there looking for an all around trail horse I'm not the one bit disappointed. Im blessed to be in a position that I can use Indy now as my trail horse and nurse and care for him when he gets older. I did however a few years later invested in a working bred cow horse to compete on at some local shows.

Well, this is a topic that probably belongs on the debate board!

As a person that rides performance stock horses, I also used to get really upset in the direction that those elite halter horses were going-afterall, the original purpose was to show future performance potential

Well, like any other event, halter has become very specialized-think human body builders

So, i had a discussion with a reining trainer once, taking a clinic

His answer-those halter people have aright to just 'feed them and lead them', just like you have the right to do whatever you do with your horse. As a performance person, just don't breed to halter horse, and you have no problem

I have followed that advise ever since, breeding 'like to like', and not as some people that go down this 'slippery slope', breeding a performance horse to a halter

horse, in the hopes of having a pretty athlete-most cases, they have neither, although (disclaimer ) there are horses where it has worked, depending on how

those genes pared up

Also, don't compare English to western, but rather halter to performance

Here is Skys Blue Boy AQHA HUS

http://www.skysblueboy.com/

Some reining horses

http://www.reinersworld.com/stallions.html

western pleasure

http://soderbergquarterhorses.com/stallions.html

It is also why we now have hunter in Hand classes and yearling lunge line-so performance people can get their horses to young to ride, also out there, without needing to either built them up, or compete against horses bred to just stand and profile

Does a human marathon runner look like a body builder?

I just looked at the reigning link you posted and all I can say is OH MY HOLY FOR THE LOVE OF WOW!!! That bout sums it up. Flipping beautiful.