nick

What's Going On With The Derby?

there hasn't been much derby talk this year, (except about hats and party themes haha), so who likes whom? the only horse i've heard much about is Goldencent with jocky krigger up.

anybody else. (and where is calvin borel??)

I haven't heard much, either, but I think I'm rooting for the lady jockey. Can't remember her name, though.

Calvin just got signed to ride revolutionary from todd pletchers barn. No clue why no one had snatched him up already! I like frac daddy because I like grays! I haven't heard much either about the race but I have been working a lot and not watching tv.

I root for any horse that Calvin is riding. I know that's a pretty bad way to think about it but I really like him as a jockey lol

My pick is Overanalyze. His last race showed some incredible last minute speed. Am I the only one that is thoroughly annoyed by Calvin Borel? He drives me nuts.

i've only seen that overhead fotage of him "threading the pack like a needle"--a brilliant ride. is he an annoying person in interviews (wife-beater, shop-lifter, republican haha)?

He's funny in interviews bc he is cajun and you can't understand what he's saying! From what I've seen he's humble and always thanks his parents

My picks in no particular order:

Revolutionary, Normandy Invasion, Mylute, Palace Malice, Verrazano, Will Take Charge

I picked them because they are pretty. lol

Isn't Orb supposed to be the favorite?

i just looked at the website. maybe i don't know how to read these things, but orb is ranked #1 this season with 6:1 odds, and goldencent is ranked #3 with 5:1 odds. :questionicon:

i'm going with goldencent, because i'm a social liberal and would like to see the first black jockey in 86 years win the derby. :lol: (the horse is also apparently a cardinal's fan :ph34r: )

I think orb has been the favorite but the odds are constantly changing now! I don't have a huge fave this year. I would love for the female or black jockey to win but I really just want a good race! The oaks was a good one yesterday!

can somebody please post here with the results when it's over? it starts at 2:30 am my time and i'll be :indifferent: zzzzzzz...and german television doesn't follow this sporting event. ( cnn is too busy following wars, rotten economies etc--would have to wait forever to get to the sports segment).

thanks in advance!!

If they don't put blinders on him, he stands a chance to loose ony of the other two races left of the Crown. .. He spent the whole time looking at the crowd on the straight stretch.. THAT needs to be fixed.. Jockey did a good job with this youngster...

AD

finally had a chance to watch the race on the internet. exciting finish!! but boy howdy judging by the *after* pictures you needed a horse that doesn't mind getting a face full of mud!

If they don't put blinders on him, he stands a chance to loose ony of the other two races left of the Crown. .. He spent the whole time looking at the crowd on the straight stretch.. THAT needs to be fixed.. Jockey did a good job with this youngster...

AD

I noticed that, too. He was veering to the outside pretty much right at end. The horse next to him was, too. I was thinking, "Where are you going!"

I just love a late closer...something about it just makes me smile. This pack of horses theoretically running full out and then you've got one that makes them all stand still. They are awesome critters